Police lights on traffic cones

Started by Scott5114, February 03, 2017, 05:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I saw something rather unusual and interesting today. Norman PD was working a wreck on Alameda Street. It was hard to tell what exactly had happened, because it was dark and I was following a realtor to a house so I couldn't really see well, but it was either a very bad wreck or the result of a police chase or something. In any event, NPD had blocked off one lane of the street with standard-ish traffic cones.

What was unusual is that some of these cones had police lights on them! They were in the form of a ring that fit over the top of the cone, resting about an inch or two from the tip of the cone. Blue and red LED lights ran around the ring in a chase pattern.

Is this something that's common anywhere else where police are working an incident? I've never seen them anywhere else, and even the realtor thought it was unusual enough to remark upon it when we arrived at the house.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

slorydn1

23 years in the business (including my volunteer FF/EMT days) and I have never seen or heard of such a device. Sounds really neat though!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

sparker

That's really cool!  Wished I'd have thought of that (and patented it!).  I'm guessing they're using extra-bright LED's (which are generally available in red, white, green, and blue) so they're visible in daytime as well as night. 

Brian556

Never seen those, but what I don't understand, is why they still use traditional flares when we have LED flares.

ET21

That is a great invention! Haven't seen them yet but it sounds cool
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.