News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Should Online Mapping Sights Have Accurate State Route Shields?

Started by ColossalBlocks, February 03, 2017, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Online Mapping (Google Maps for example) Sights Have Accurate State Route Shields?

Yes, i think they should.
No, i think they shouldn't.

1995hoo

Quote from: Buck87 on February 03, 2017, 05:42:34 PM

Are there any other states that put their shield (or something similar to their shield) on their state maps instead of ovals?

Virginia has always done that, but then, our state shield is an easy one.

I've always thought the accurate shields in Apple Maps look pretty good.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on February 03, 2017, 08:59:04 PM
Quote from: plain on February 03, 2017, 08:52:58 PM
The oval for state routes doesn't bother me per se, but it would be nice to have the correct shields though. I'm more concerned about certain maps having tolled and non-tolled routes the same color (ahem, Google)

If you zoom in enough on Google Maps, toll roads have a darker outline. (It's not perfect; there are a few places on toll roads where you can get both on and off without paying that Google still marks as having a toll.)
I don't see them.  Some ramps have them, but not the toll roads themselves, and it's very inconsistent.

MapQuest also stopped showing toll roads when they did their redesign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buck87

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2017, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 03, 2017, 05:42:34 PM

Are there any other states that put their shield (or something similar to their shield) on their state maps instead of ovals?

Virginia has always done that, but then, our state shield is an easy one.

I've always thought the accurate shields in Apple Maps look pretty good.

Having seen these screenshots and just now looking at Mapquest for the first time in forever, I wish I could change my vote in this thread's poll. State shields can actually work very nicely on electronic maps.

cpzilliacus

It does not bother me either way.  Keep in mind that we are getting into a lot of shields when we include the 50 U.S. states, plus the neighbors to the north in  Canada, and to the south in Mexico (though I have not been  enough in Mexico to know if there is much in the way of shields beyond the federal one). 

Then there are county shields and state secondary system shields too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 04, 2017, 08:54:51 PM
It does not bother me either way.  Keep in mind that we are getting into a lot of shields when we include the 50 U.S. states, plus the neighbors to the north in  Canada, and to the south in Mexico (though I have not been  enough in Mexico to know if there is much in the way of shields beyond the federal one). 

Then there are county shields and state secondary system shields too.

Panning around New Jersey and Florida didn't reveal any county shields.

Edited: Found one panning around north of Venice.

(Edited a second time on Sunday morning to remove a carriage return I hadn't noticed when posting via iPad.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bulldog1979

About the only complaint I have with the marker rendering in Apple Maps concerns county roads. The app uses the blue pentagon for all of Michigan's county roads, even though many counties still use the older squares. I cut them some slack over the complexity to deal with the variation at the county level though.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bulldog1979 on February 04, 2017, 09:22:46 PM
About the only complaint I have with the marker rendering in Apple Maps concerns county roads. The app uses the blue pentagon for all of Michigan's county roads, even though many counties still use the older squares. I cut them some slack over the complexity to deal with the variation at the county level though.

For Florida, Apple randomly uses either the county pentagon or the state route shield (486, 807, and 809 are listed as state when all of 486 and sections of 807 and 809 should actually be county roads).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: coatimundi on February 04, 2017, 01:49:31 AM
Mapquest uses the state shields, and I love them for it. They have some beautiful rendering for being an online mapping tool. If only their interface (and especially their app) weren't so bulky and cumbersome.

...and their vector set more comprehensive.  Got sick of sending them correction after correction when directions would not go past the intersection for various parks and recreational sites (e.g., Their directions were ridiculous for far too long for Smith Falls State Park in Nebraska (highest falls in the state) or the Mississippi/Missouri Confluence Park, with directions ending miles away from the parks themselves).  When your business is to give directions and you can't do it, forget it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Duke87 on February 03, 2017, 11:09:43 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on February 03, 2017, 02:55:20 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 03, 2017, 01:14:18 PM
I CAN'T STAND when a business draws a map and has a us route with an interstate shield, state route with a US shield, etc.
Me either. Of course, most non-roadgeeks probably can't tell the difference.

I was talking with someone at work today who pointed to a US highway shield on Google Maps and referred to it as a "county road". I told him to get away from me.

Maybe a county road ran concurrent to it, or the dude is utterly stupid.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.