News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Now how about states that are GREAT at signing?

Started by OCGuy81, February 07, 2017, 02:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I think Wisconsin is one of the best states I've seen at signage.

- Multiplexes are well signed (41/43/894/41)? Nice!

- Well signed secondary system with the county trunks.

- JCT are always well signed

- Alternates for most Interstates

- There is usually an assembly before an intersection showing which way to turn for which highway/direction

There's my nominee.

dvferyance

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 07, 2017, 02:20:52 PM
I think Wisconsin is one of the best states I've seen at signage.

- Multiplexes are well signed (41/43/894/41)? Nice!

- Well signed secondary system with the county trunks.

- JCT are always well signed

- Alternates for most Interstates

- There is usually an assembly before an intersection showing which way to turn for which highway/direction

There's my nominee.
Can't disagree with that with the possible exception of Waukesha County which sometimes does not mark county highways well in urban areas.

epzik8

Living in Maryland, I would say they do a pretty good job at signing state routes, as well as U.S. routes and Interstates. There are reassurance shields on non-freeways not just after every crossing of a numbered highway, but after certain intersections with unnumbered county-maintained roads as well. Except for the state's most urban areas (Baltimore, basically), I don't think any freeway exit in Maryland isn't followed by a reassurance shield. Almost every crossing of a numbered highway on the majority of the state's non-freeways are preceded by either a "JCT (route number)" marker or, at some traffic lights, a green sign consisting of the route marker, the road name that the intersecting route carries, and the words "NEXT SIGNAL" at the bottom.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

thenetwork

One of the best is Ohio. 

-  The interstates are well signed, including cross-route shields on BGSs (except for the Innerbelt in Cleveland -- Hello Superior & Chester Avenues!!!). 

-  Regular State and US highways are almost always well marked, almost always marking junctions with other numbered highways in advance of, and at, intersections.

-  Also from these route junctions outside of urban areas, control cities are usually noted with advance signage AND mileage, and there are usually mileage signs just past said junctions of the more major highways.

-  Multiplexes are numbered, although US or State Highways which follow interstates could use a little work.

-  Highway route ends are more times than not acknowledged.

Colorado, on the other hand is one of the worst.

-  The very rarely acknowledge multiplexes with interstates, nor acknowledge paralleling routes which cross & have exits for them on BGSs.

-  Multiplexed highway designations vary from region to region.

-  Non freeway route junctions with same may or may not have advance signage, nor adequate signage at the actual junction.

-  Control cities with mileages prior to a junction/intersection are virtually non-existent, but mileage signs just past major intersections outside of the urban areas is pretty good.

-  Seeing non-freeway reassurance shields on a regular basis also vary from region to region.  Interstate reassurance shields are plentiful.

-  Routes end with no fanfare (or signage) 95% of the time

On signs with specific errors, Colorado has plenty -- especially in Western Colorado:  Using I- shields for BL- shields, un-aligned or incorrect number of pull-through arrows for the number of road lanes below, not using arrows on BGSs at freeway exits  (opting for NEXT RIGHT instead).

machias

Arizona was awesome back in their button copy days, but when they switched to Clearview they didn't do it properly and their freeways signs started looking pretty bad.  I've never had a problem with their route marking habits.

New York has to be treated like 11 different mini-states because no two regions do things the same, but NYSDOT R3 (Syracuse) is top notch.

Buck87

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:30:16 PM
One of the best is Ohio. 

-  The interstates are well signed, including cross-route shields on BGSs (except for the Innerbelt in Cleveland -- Hello Superior & Chester Avenues!!!). 

-  Regular State and US highways are almost always well marked, almost always marking junctions with other numbered highways in advance of, and at, intersections.

-  Also from these route junctions outside of urban areas, control cities are usually noted with advance signage AND mileage, and there are usually mileage signs just past said junctions of the more major highways.

-  Multiplexes are numbered, although US or State Highways which follow interstates could use a little work.

Agree. And the bolded point is one thing I really like and find lacking in the other states I most frequently travel through.

Another point I'll add is that at most interchanges, the ramp entrance signage from the non freeway is either a BGS with a control city on it, or at least a LGS with the shield and ^> arrows with the directions. I haven't seen too many instances where the ramp entrances have been marked by regular stand alone route signs, and one of the ones I do know of like that (at OH 4 & US 23) used to have BGS

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 07, 2017, 08:12:50 PM
Arizona was awesome back in their button copy days, but when they switched to Clearview they didn't do it properly and their freeways signs started looking pretty bad.  I've never had a problem with their route marking habits.

New York has to be treated like 11 different mini-states because no two regions do things the same, but NYSDOT R3 (Syracuse) is top notch.

Something I'll give ADOT some credit on is that they sign "TO" routes very well.  AZ 238 is a good example where there doesn't need to be any continuation signage on non-DOT owned roadway but you have signs from Gila Bend showing you where to go:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9529733,-112.6910866,3a,37.5y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjsRBE1kXXr8JrOiVLnN5ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

I could swear there was a TO AZ 288 at one point on AZ 260 but I can't find it on the GSV.

I like how Florida does things almost solely because somehow the County Routes tend to be incorporated into overall state grid and are very well signed.  It is very difficult to find aged State Road signage anywhere in Florida anymore either, no Keys Shields, or colored US Routes....at least that I could find. 

formulanone

Texas, North Carolina, and Michigan create signage so consistent, you could set your watch to it. Missing, awkward, or misaligned signage is rare in those states.

I'll contest that Ohio, Connecticut, California, New York, Florida, and Alabama also have pockets of old or curious signage which are more fun for the signgeek in me, but vary in consistency and application.

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on February 07, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Texas, North Carolina, and Michigan create signage so consistent, you could set your watch to it. Missing, awkward, or misaligned signage is rare in those states.

I'll contest that Ohio, Connecticut, California, New York, Florida, and Alabama also have pockets of old or curious signage which are more fun for the signgeek in me, but vary in consistency and application.
State roads in Florida are marked pretty well. However a lot of counties suck

LGMS428

corco

Idaho's signage is remarkably consistent and well done, if not very interesting. I struggle to come up with somewhere where signage lacks necessary information.

Wyoming also has excellent signage, and their signage is sometimes visually interesting too! Wyoming's only failure is not always signing minor state highways from the interstates, but the state does an admirable job signing its (many!) concurrencies.

Brian556

Concerning Texas, the FM road I drive most frequent has half of its signal ahead signs missing (they fell off due to only having two brackets), one sign knocked down, and at a junction, all four route marker assemblies turn freely with the wind. It has been like this over a year.

Tarrant county has always been atrociously bad, with tons of missing and severely deteriorated signage.

Other areas of the state are much better maintained.

In Florida, signage isn't super great. They fail to post diagram signs at intersections with double turns, fail to sign multiplexes consistently (Esp around Tavares), and mis-use diagonal arrows on overhead signs at intersections, and their signal-mounted street name signs only give the name of the street to the right when it is a different name on the left.

Scott5114

Kansas belongs in this category. There are a few odd signs due to emergency knockdown replacements, but the typical sign is well-designed, clear, and consistent in layout from panel to panel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Aerobird

Quote from: Brian556 on February 08, 2017, 01:37:12 AMand their signal-mounted street name signs only give the name of the street to the right when it is a different name on the left.
In most cases where I've seen that, the street-name sign on the left of the intersection will have the left-side name, and be visible from both directions.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Alex

Quote from: jwolfer on February 07, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
State roads in Florida are marked pretty well. However a lot of counties suck[/size]

It varies from county to county, and that's not just for county road signing, but also for state roads,

Pasco County is very good about posting their county roads and state roads as well. They even use end placards. Others like Hillsborough do not acknowledge their county roads in general.

For old signs, the Panhandle has a few counties with scores of sign finds. But at the same time, Escambia County does not bother maintaining signs for their county roads in urban areas. This seems to be a problem across a lot of other cities in the state.

frankenroad

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:30:16 PM
One of the best is Ohio. 

For the most part, I agree, however, one of the things Ohio does too often is use the wrong shield for state and US routes.   I have not seen this on a BGS, but frequently on city streets.  This is especially irritating since there is no duplication of routes between state and US (and Interstates), so when the sign shop makes a sign, say for US-127, there is no reason they would ever need to make an OH-127 sign, but they do (because I've seen them).   For a couple of years, there was an OH-71 sign on Williams Avenue in Norwood indicating the upcoming ramp to I-71.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

cpzilliacus

Quote from: frankenroad on February 08, 2017, 10:07:06 AM
For the most part, I agree, however, one of the things Ohio does too often is use the wrong shield for state and US routes.   I have not seen this on a BGS, but frequently on city streets.  This is especially irritating since there is no duplication of routes between state and US (and Interstates), so when the sign shop makes a sign, say for US-127, there is no reason they would ever need to make an OH-127 sign, but they do (because I've seen them).

Virginia often messes-up shields.  Usually it is about getting state primary system and state secondary system shields confused, but I have also seen places where a primary system shield was used for a U.S. route.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Kansas is pretty good except with US 40 on I-70.  It is acknowledged on confirmation shields post interchange, but many freeway ramps omit the route especially on I-135 & US 81 in Salina.

Virginia sometimes is overkill and in independent cities forget it!  Try to find US 60 in VA Beach or even US 58 and its business child.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2017, 03:56:58 AM

Kansas belongs in this category. There are a few odd signs due to emergency knockdown replacements, but the typical sign is well-designed, clear, and consistent in layout from panel to panel.

I'd say Kansas, as well as Iowa, seem to be continuously well-signed. I haven't spent as much time there, but I can't think of too many duds.

doorknob60

Quote from: corco on February 07, 2017, 11:37:51 PM
Idaho's signage is remarkably consistent and well done, if not very interesting. I struggle to come up with somewhere where signage lacks necessary information.

I agree, with one big exception. Mileage and signage to Boise on US-95 southbound from Lewiston. From what I can tell, all the mileage signs are based on how long if you were to take US-95 to ID-55 through McCall. However, when you reach New Meadows, all signage points you right to US-95, not ID-55. It's a "better" through route (less curvy, less steep grades, less winter weather), but it's ~30 miles longer to Boise and it makes all previous mileage signs inaccurate.

However, they do a decent job signing multiplexes (such as ID-55 multiplex with I-84, which would be easy for them to gloss over; they aren't consistently signed at every onramp, but they are on all the reassurance markers), and routes are pretty easy to follow in urban areas. US-20 and 26 are pretty well signed through Boise. Some cities/states just pretend the highways don't exist there. So generally I'm happy with Idaho's signage.

silverback1065

Indot does a good job at signing their highways every turn is signed that I've come across.

Buck87

Quote from: frankenroad on February 08, 2017, 10:07:06 AM

For the most part, I agree, however, one of the things Ohio does too often is use the wrong shield for state and US routes.   I have not seen this on a BGS, but frequently on city streets.  This is especially irritating since there is no duplication of routes between state and US (and Interstates), so when the sign shop makes a sign, say for US-127, there is no reason they would ever need to make an OH-127 sign, but they do (because I've seen them).   For a couple of years, there was an OH-71 sign on Williams Avenue in Norwood indicating the upcoming ramp to I-71.

True, Ohio does have some issues in this area.

In fact, back in 2005 ODOT repaved US 20 through Bellevue and installed new signals and signage.....with every single new 20 shield showing it as a state route. That prompted me to send my first ever email to ODOT, and within a month the signs were all replaced with proper US 20 shields. There was even a story on the front page of the Sandusky Register about them having to change them all (must have been a slow news day)

GaryV

Michigan is pretty good, except surface streets in Detroit.

And counties, it's totally up to the county road commission.  Many of them don't even sign the Michigan "County-Designated" Highways that appear on the state highway map.  Other counties, especially the more rural ones, number and sign every road.

thenetwork

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 08, 2017, 03:42:55 PM
Indot does a good job at signing their highways every turn is signed that I've come across.

I'll give a nod to Indiana for having non freeway Junction's well marked -- some with overhead signage showing all route options/directions at said junction.

dvferyance

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 08, 2017, 03:42:55 PM
Whenever there isn't a gap of course.

froggie

Regarding this topic, I'd like to point out that Minnesota was a pioneer in signage and sign standards development, and is the key reason why we have the MUTCD today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.