Now how about states that are GREAT at signing?

Started by OCGuy81, February 07, 2017, 02:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Brian556 on February 08, 2017, 01:37:12 AM
Concerning Texas, the FM road I drive most frequent has half of its signal ahead signs missing (they fell off due to only having two brackets), one sign knocked down, and at a junction, all four route marker assemblies turn freely with the wind. It has been like this over a year.

Tarrant county has always been atrociously bad, with tons of missing and severely deteriorated signage.

Other areas of the state are much better maintained.

In Florida, signage isn't super great. They fail to post diagram signs at intersections with double turns, fail to sign multiplexes consistently (Esp around Tavares), and mis-use diagonal arrows on overhead signs at intersections, and their signal-mounted street name signs only give the name of the street to the right when it is a different name on the left.

Agree with this. I also disagree with many of Texas' signage concepts. They tend toward LGS and shield assemblies in environments where BGS installations would provide much needed clarity. They also tend to omit control cities where they would be useful toward directing traffic flows; for example, with the numerous beltways surrounding Texas cities.

roadman65

New Jersey started getting good with their overhead street signs being consistent on the state maintained signs.  The mileage signs, that listed points along the way and only cities where the route actually entered except I-80 and I-295.  The former does use NYC eastbound and the latter uses Ewing in where I-295 does not enter its township at all.  I believe that NJDOT considers I-80 and the free NJ Turnpike to be one route and I-295 and the free I-95 to be one route as well.  Anyway, signs would only be posted after each point is reached.

Thus even though poorly picked control points and sign placement, and removal upon construction projects, they were consistent at the time they were all erected.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: formulanone on February 08, 2017, 01:05:23 PM
I'd say Kansas, as well as Iowa, seem to be continuously well-signed. I haven't spent as much time there, but I can't think of too many duds.

Iowa is fantastic, except in the Des Moines metro area with respect to surface streets (can't speak of other major cities, as I haven't spent much time in them). They are really slow at replacing knocked down markers, and the junctions of US-6/IA-415 (Euclid Ave and 2nd Ave, respectively) and US-69/IA-163 (E 14th St and E University Ave, respectively) are rather poorly signed.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 08, 2017, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on February 08, 2017, 10:07:06 AM
For the most part, I agree, however, one of the things Ohio does too often is use the wrong shield for state and US routes.   I have not seen this on a BGS, but frequently on city streets.  This is especially irritating since there is no duplication of routes between state and US (and Interstates), so when the sign shop makes a sign, say for US-127, there is no reason they would ever need to make an OH-127 sign, but they do (because I've seen them).

Virginia often messes-up shields.  Usually it is about getting state primary system and state secondary system shields confused, but I have also seen places where a primary system shield was used for a U.S. route.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

Quote from TX to NJ:
QuoteAgree with this. I also disagree with many of Texas' signage concepts. They tend toward LGS and shield assemblies in environments where BGS installations would provide much needed clarity. They also tend to omit control cities where they would be useful toward directing traffic flows; for example, with the numerous beltways surrounding Texas cities.

I fully agree, and have noticed several locations like this.

As far as omitting control cities, here is a prime example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2558691,-97.1711587,3a,44.9y,274.51h,94.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syzoww-5FElHJF1Kug1_2HQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They also need to use overhead turn/straight only signs instead of diagram signs in many situations. Having four lanes on a side mounted diagram sign is just too difficult to discern

Here is a prime example, and one of the worst. The diagram signs are completely useless, because you cannot tell if the left or right thru lane become a turn lane. They are also completely wrong now that the intersection has a double turn.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.068916,-97.0822467,3a,75y,338.99h,87.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJ8QHbuYdqIlYMhiXq0cFhg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJ8QHbuYdqIlYMhiXq0cFhg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D105.09634%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

cjk374

Louisiana used to be good at signing junctions & multiplexes...but within the last 5-10 years they have been using Arkansas's signage playbook.   :no:  :pan:  X-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Super Mateo

Quote from: thenetwork on February 07, 2017, 07:30:16 PM
One of the best is Ohio. 

-  The interstates are well signed, including cross-route shields on BGSs (except for the Innerbelt in Cleveland -- Hello Superior & Chester Avenues!!!). 

-  Regular State and US highways are almost always well marked, almost always marking junctions with other numbered highways in advance of, and at, intersections.

-  Also from these route junctions outside of urban areas, control cities are usually noted with advance signage AND mileage, and there are usually mileage signs just past said junctions of the more major highways.

-  Multiplexes are numbered, although US or State Highways which follow interstates could use a little work.

-  Highway route ends are more times than not acknowledged.

In most of the areas of the state I've driven in, this is true.  Ohio makes these routes easy to follow.  However, downtown Cincinnati is really shoddy in places.

-Southbound US 27 has no signs from Mehring Way or Rose Way telling drivers about either left turn required to get to the bridge to Kentucky.
-US 42 is followable on signs alone southbound, but following it northbound requires a good map, guesswork, or luck to come out the other side.  The NB turn off of Elm Street has a sign, but it's well hidden.
-US 22 has an end sign, but there's no mention of any of the US routes you can turn onto when it does end.
-On NB Central, there's a JCT OH 264 sign in hanging in between the signals at 5th, but there's nothing telling you exactly where it is or how to get to it.
-While not great signage, US 52 eastbound can be followed on signs alone.  I have done so.  Westbound appears to be manageable.

In this area, there are a ton of missing turn indicators for following the routes (looking at you, US 42 NB!).  There are few mentions of cross routes.  For example, on 3rd Street eastbound (which is NB US 42/127), approaching Central, there should be signs saying you need to turn left to continue on US 42/127 and a sign saying US 27/52 is the cross street.  There are no signs at all.

hbelkins

I think a lot of US 27's signage got lost in the construction that took place in the area when Riverfront Stadium was needlessly torn down and the new facilities were built.

But in general, signage is not good in cities. Name a city (Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Wilkes-Barre are examples I've encountered) and you can probably find poor route signage in them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Cincinnati is a disaster signage wise, you cant follow any of the routes through that city.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 07, 2017, 08:12:50 PM
New York has to be treated like 11 different mini-states because no two regions do things the same

Certainly, but that being said, most regions tend to be quite good with signage. R2 and R9 have issues at times, but their worst is better than the best out of many states. Except where local municipalities maintain stuff, reassurance markers throughout the state are posted often, concurrencies are well-signed, speed limits are signed at regular intervals, every state-maintained road has tenth-milemarkers and locations are typically signed well.

As for other states, Vermont. Many speed limit drops have signs on both sides of the road and they've done a good job adding the new types of warning signs. VTrans-installed street blades are large and easy to read. There is a unique but statewide standard set of attraction/business signs that makes things easy to find. My only gripe with their signage is that town/county line signs are not mounted in a fashion that is easy for drivers to see.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

On non-divided roads that aren't considered to be dangerous for pedestrians, reference markers are only posted every 1/5 mile, but alternate on each side of the the road (so the directions combined are every 1/10 of a mile).  Plus they're not readable to anyone who isn't an engineer or roadgeek (heck, even many in NYSDOT don't know how to read them, especially since they're considered a deprecated system that is only maintained so that old record will still be valid; many things these days is done by milepoint, including anything involving Main Office).  I wouldn't really call them tenth mile markers (which are themselves perhaps the least consistent part of NY signage).

R2 signage is getting better but R7 signage is getting worse.  I guess they're trading places.

And yes, Vermont has excellent signage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.