News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL 2026 (what if)

Started by Desert Man, February 14, 2017, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 11, 2017, 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 11, 2017, 05:41:06 PM
Quote from: tribar on March 10, 2017, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2017, 10:53:43 PM
The NFL will never expand to Milwaukee and have no need to do so. The Packers are unquestionably 110% Milwaukee's team.

Yep. An NFL team would fail miserably in Milwaukee. Most of Milwaukee roots for the Packers and Chicago and Green Bay.  And where in Milwaukee would this team play?
We would have to build a new stadium but that's the case with any NFL expansion team. If the Packers are Milwaukee's team then why does San Diego need a team when LA is about the same distance from SD as is GB from Milwaukee? I don't get it. I think the NFL could work in Milwaukee while many football fans may cheer for the Packers it's not like they can always go to the games like we can with the Brewers. And think about how exciting a Milwaukee Green Bay rival would be. As a Colts fan living in SE Wisconsin and no interest to support either Chicago or Green Bay I would proudly support a Milwaukee based NFL team.

I don't understand how you can live in Milwaukee and not understand that the Packers are just as much Milwaukee's team as they are Green Bay's, and that the fans there would not want another team. There are a lot of historical ties between the Packers and Milwaukee, between playing regular season games there for 60 years and their Milwaukee-based radio flagship station. Milwaukee is also a Packers primary TV market; they are the only team to have two primary TV markets. Milwaukee Packer fans have priority on tickets for two games at Lambeau every season, so the team certainly has not forgotten about the city either since they discontinued playing games in Milwaukee in the mid-90s.

Milwaukee is a Packers-rabid city, today and for the rest of eternity.
Simple answer they are the Green Bay Packers not the Milwaukee Packers. I am a Milwaukeean not a Green Bayan. A team that plays over 100 miles away and takes a 2 hour drive to get there is not a local team. They aren't part the local community I can't even go to watch them play. The Bears are even closer to us than the Packers. Just becasue there is a Packers radio and TV affiliate here doesn't mean anything. Then why is San Diego so upset the Chargers moved to LA? It's still in the same state but it's not in their city anymore. When you have no team it's pick and chose and I chose the Colts becasue I liked Manning and just stuck with them after that. When the Packers played at County Stadium they sold out so there is still a big draw for football in Milwaukee. But I never understood why anyone here would support this team since they stopped doing that. Because usually when that happens the city hates the team not supports it. St Louis hates the Rams San Diego hates the Chargers. I think if the NFL wanted to expand yeah I am sure they would look at St Louis first but if they wanted to look at a new market I think it's worth looking into Milwaukee. I would also like to mention I think Mexico City would be a worse option for expanding than London. A team in Mexico City would do nearly all their operations in Spanish discouraging most NFL players from ever wanting to go there. It's why the NHL failed in Quebec City they did their operations mostly in French which discouraged players from ever wanting to go there.

tribar

Quote from: dvferyance on March 12, 2017, 09:04:46 PM
The NFL will never expand to Milwaukee and have no need to do so. The Packers are unquestionably 110% Milwaukee's team.

Yep. An NFL team would fail miserably in Milwaukee. Most of Milwaukee roots for the Packers and Chicago and Green Bay.  And where in Milwaukee would this team play?
We would have to build a new stadium but that's the case with any NFL expansion team. If the Packers are Milwaukee's team then why does San Diego need a team when LA is about the same distance from SD as is GB from Milwaukee? I don't get it. I think the NFL could work in Milwaukee while many football fans may cheer for the Packers it's not like they can always go to the games like we can with the Brewers. And think about how exciting a Milwaukee Green Bay rival would be. As a Colts fan living in SE Wisconsin and no interest to support either Chicago or Green Bay I would proudly support a Milwaukee based NFL team.

I don't understand how you can live in Milwaukee and not understand that the Packers are just as much Milwaukee's team as they are Green Bay's, and that the fans there would not want another team. There are a lot of historical ties between the Packers and Milwaukee, between playing regular season games there for 60 years and their Milwaukee-based radio flagship station. Milwaukee is also a Packers primary TV market; they are the only team to have two primary TV markets. Milwaukee Packer fans have priority on tickets for two games at Lambeau every season, so the team certainly has not forgotten about the city either since they discontinued playing games in Milwaukee in the mid-90s.

Simple answer they are the Green Bay Packers not the Milwaukee Packers. I am a Milwaukeean not a Green Bayan. A team that plays over 100 miles away is not a local team. They aren't part the local community I can't even go to watch them play. The Bears are even closer to us than the Packers. Just becasue there is a Packers radio and TV affiliate here doesn't mean anything. Then why is San Diego so upset the Chargers moved to LA? It's still in the same state but it's not in their city anymore. When you have no team it's pick and chose and I chose the Colts becasue I liked Manning and just stuck with them after that. When the Packers played at County Stadium they sold out so there is still a big draw for football in Milwaukee. But I never understood why anyone here would support this team since they stopped doing that. Because usually when that happens the city hates the team no supports it. St Louis hates the Rams San Diego hates the Chargers. I think if the NFL wanted to expand yeah I am sure they would look at St Louis first but if they wanted to look at a new market I think it's worth looking into Milwaukee. I would also like to mention I think Mexico City would be a worse option for expanding than London. A team in Mexico City would do nearly all their operations in Spanish discouraging most NFL players from ever wanting to go their. It's why the NHL failed in Quebec City they did their operations mostly in French which discouraged players from ever wanting to go there.

Then why are the Canadiens doing so well?

tchafe1978

Quote from: dvferyance on March 12, 2017, 09:04:46 PM

Simple answer they are the Green Bay Packers not the Milwaukee Packers. I am a Milwaukeean not a Green Bayan. A team that plays over 100 miles away is not a local team. They aren't part the local community I can't even go to watch them play. The Bears are even closer to us than the Packers. Just becasue there is a Packers radio and TV affiliate here doesn't mean anything. Then why is San Diego so upset the Chargers moved to LA? It's still in the same state but it's not in their city anymore. When you have no team it's pick and chose and I chose the Colts becasue I liked Manning and just stuck with them after that. When the Packers played at County Stadium they sold out so there is still a big draw for football in Milwaukee. But I never understood why anyone here would support this team since they stopped doing that. Because usually when that happens the city hates the team no supports it. St Louis hates the Rams San Diego hates the Chargers. I think if the NFL wanted to expand yeah I am sure they would look at St Louis first but if they wanted to look at a new market I think it's worth looking into Milwaukee. I would also like to mention I think Mexico City would be a worse option for expanding than London. A team in Mexico City would do nearly all their operations in Spanish discouraging most NFL players from ever wanting to go their. It's why the NHL failed in Quebec City they did their operations mostly in French which discouraged players from ever wanting to go there.

Obviously since you aren't a Packers fan you don't understand. The Packers are more than just a Green Bay team, or even a Milwaukee team, they are a Wisconsin team. There is no way the team survives in little old Green Bay without the statewide support they receive. They really play in a market of 5.5 million, not 300,000. Stop even thinking about an NFL team in Milwaukee, unless the Packers for some reason when Lambeau finally needs replacing, the team moves to Milwaukee.

TheHighwayMan3561

I just can't get past the fact that your entire argument against pulling for Green Bay is because they're not physically located in Milwaukee, but you choose to root for a team further away from you than four others. I don't care who your team is, but your arguments make absolutely no sense in the least. I despise the Packers and I feel like drinking bleach for having to defend anything related to that franchise, but good god.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MisterSG1

If any of y'all want to talk about the Toronto factor in all of this, I can explain it more deeply if you want to.

The Toronto Argonauts may be the oldest pro sports team in North America that is still active, when it comes to the box office, they are the least attended games out of the Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, and TFC. Naysayers forever claimed that the cavernous SkyDome was the reason for the Argonauts lousy attendance, but even after moving outside (or shall I say invading) to BMO Field, people thought that would boost the team like it did for the Montreal Alouettes, but it did nothing. Sure it was better than the previous year, but it didn't revitalize the team whatsoever. One such regular season game last year only had 12,000 people attending.

Like it or lump it, Toronto being surrounded by all the other big leagues, the fans of sports mostly see the CFL as a minor league, like the AHL (even though technically that's not the case, we all know the CFL plays by a totally different ruleset)

But here's the part I don't understand, despite no one going to the games, the Toronto Argonauts do quite well on television, in fact I believe they get much better ratings than the Raptors or TFC. Yet, I don't know a single person who's a fan of the Argonauts. Around here, especially among the younger crowd, you'll see them wearing mostly Blue Jays or Raptors gear, followed by Leafs, then TFC, and you will almost never see anyone wearing Argos gear.

Having said that, the main problem with NFL in Toronto, is where will they play and who will own them? Someone like Ted Rogers was eager to have the NFL play in Toronto, but after he started to make progress he unfortunately passed away. Governments around here aren't eager to throw away money to build stadiums, there is still resentment around these parts for the high costs of the SkyDome funded by taxpayers.

english si

Quote from: Rothman on March 12, 2017, 01:37:13 PMSorry, Cheddar became an American citizen in 1866.
And then turned curtain-like: soft, pliable, made quickly and served in thin sheets rather than the gorge-like: hard, a little crumbly, a bit sharp, taking a long time to age, etc. ;)

(I know Wisconsin can make decent cheese - it's the demand from the rest of the country for plastic and/or liquid cheese that gives US cheese a bad rap. And Kraft, who can't even do that well, but dominate the market).

Rothman

Plenty of cheese made in America that isn't American cheese (a/k/a Singles).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

We would have to build a new stadium but that's the case with any NFL expansion team. If the Packers are Milwaukee's team then why does San Diego need a team when LA is about the same distance from SD as is GB from Milwaukee? I don't get it.

Totally different markets.  On one end of the spectrum you have two New York teams that play *in the same stadium* because the market can bear two teams.  San Diego has a significant resident base in its local market to root for a team separate from a Los Angeles team.   There was a little concern when Baltimore picked up a football team because of its proximity to DC, but there is enough separation (and hatred) between the two cities that there's no conflict.

Can Milwaukee support its own team separate from Green Bay?  Probably not.   It's simply a different market, and the entire state has a love affair with what is really a small-market team that consistently pumps out big-market team numbers.

Henry

I'm perfectly fine with the Packers representing all of WI! While Green Bay is not as large as Milwaukee or even Madison, the fact that the entire state supports them makes them a true American sports success story. And this is coming from a rabid Bears fan who hates them with a passion!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on March 13, 2017, 10:20:32 AM
I'm perfectly fine with the Packers representing all of WI! While Green Bay is not as large as Milwaukee or even Madison, the fact that the entire state supports them makes them a true American sports success story. And this is coming from a rabid Bears fan who hates them with a passion!

At least you are not a Seahawks fan

epzik8

An NFL team in the United Kingdom would be a logistical nightmare. I know that there's a considerable and growing number of British NFL fans, but I just can't see a UK-based NFL team working when every other team is in the United States. I mean, again, I know there's a number of Brits who are into American football, but if an NFL team were to be based there, they would be separated by several hours and by the Atlantic Ocean.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

english si

Quote from: epzik8 on March 13, 2017, 03:16:02 PMAn NFL team in the United Kingdom would be a logistical nightmare. I know that there's a considerable and growing number of British NFL fans, but I just can't see a UK-based NFL team working when every other team is in the United States. I mean, again, I know there's a number of Brits who are into American football, but if an NFL team were to be based there, they would be separated by several hours and by the Atlantic Ocean.
As I pointed out upthread, logistics isn't the big problem. The big problem is that the UK fan base have their own teams already and while there's enough support for the NFL, it will take some years to get support for a specific team (think the LA issue writ large) rather than the International Series' Superbowl vibe where all the teams are supported and people cheer on their favourite of the two teams there.

Add in that, typically, both teams playing at Wembley (or Twickers) would do some of the promotional activities put on for each game, that burden would fall on the London franchise.

A London franchise is a marketing nightmare first and foremost and a logistics nightmare second.

Henry

Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2017, 11:02:20 AM

Right you are ;)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dvferyance

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 13, 2017, 08:09:27 AM
I just can't get past the fact that your entire argument against pulling for Green Bay is because they're not physically located in Milwaukee, but you choose to root for a team further away from you than four others. I don't care who your team is, but your arguments make absolutely no sense in the least. I despise the Packers and I feel like drinking bleach for having to defend anything related to that franchise, but good god.
Then why should San Diego get another team? They are about the same distance from LA as Green Bay is from Milwaukee. If the Packers can be Milwaukee's team then the Chargers can still be San Diego's team despite the fact they now play in LA. The football fans in Milwaukee can cheer for the Packers if they so chose to that's their choice but you can't claim the Packers as belonging to Milwaukee becasue they don't. You have to drive 2 hours to get to the game that's not what I would consider to be local. The Green Bay Packers are Green Bay's team. That's who they belong to. Have you ever done the drive between Milwaukee and Green Bay? It's longer then it looks. We can agree to disagree I just don't see a team that plays 2 hours away from one city still belongs to that city. If Green Bay was only like a 45 minute drive away I could get it.

dvferyance

Quote from: epzik8 on March 13, 2017, 03:16:02 PM
An NFL team in the United Kingdom would be a logistical nightmare. I know that there's a considerable and growing number of British NFL fans, but I just can't see a UK-based NFL team working when every other team is in the United States. I mean, again, I know there's a number of Brits who are into American football, but if an NFL team were to be based there, they would be separated by several hours and by the Atlantic Ocean.
True but I think if a team were in Mexico there would be bigger problems. They would do their operations all in Spanish they would have a hard time getting anyone to play there. It's why the NHL failed in Quebec City they did their operations in French only. At least if London had a team we would not have 2 teams robbed a home game every year. That's what has always bothered about 2 games in London each year. The London team would likely have to be in the AFC east the only division in football were all teams are in Eastern Time Zone. The closest time zone in the country to London's.

tribar

Quote from: dvferyance on March 14, 2017, 10:54:40 AM
Then why should San Diego get another team? They are about the same distance from LA as Green Bay is from Milwaukee. If the Packers can be Milwaukee's team then the Chargers can still be San Diego's team despite the fact they now play in LA. The football fans in Milwaukee can cheer for the Packers if they so chose to that's their choice but you can't claim the Packers as belonging to Milwaukee becasue they don't. You have to drive 2 hours to get to the game that's not what I would consider to be local. The Green Bay Packers are Green Bay's team. That's who they belong to. Have you ever done the drive between Milwaukee and Green Bay? It's longer then it looks.

It's really not that bad of a drive.

hm insulators

Quote from: epzik8 on March 13, 2017, 03:16:02 PM

Probably not any more of a logistics nightmare than putting a team in Honolulu. Hawaii's been begging for an NFL franchise for decades.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

english si

Quote from: dvferyance on March 14, 2017, 11:13:33 AMThat's what has always bothered about 2 games in London each year.
There's 4 currently, and given that not only have the Jags fought to have one of them as one of their home games every year, but nearly half the teams have already agreed to give up a home game for London, I don't think the teams mind the trip every several years (or every year for the Jags).

DTComposer

Then why should San Diego get another team? They are about the same distance from LA as Green Bay is from Milwaukee. If the Packers can be Milwaukee's team then the Chargers can still be San Diego's team despite the fact they now play in LA. The football fans in Milwaukee can cheer for the Packers if they so chose to that's their choice but you can't claim the Packers as belonging to Milwaukee becasue they don't. You have to drive 2 hours to get to the game that's not what I would consider to be local. The Green Bay Packers are Green Bay's team. That's who they belong to. Have you ever done the drive between Milwaukee and Green Bay? It's longer then it looks.

Market size.
The San Diego metro area has more than ten times the population of the Green Bay metro area (3,299,000 people compared to 312,000).
The Los Angeles metro area has more than eight times the population of the Milwaukee metro area (13,340,000 people compared to 1,576,000).

Even if Milwaukee were to be considered for its own team, it would be one of the smallest markets in the the NFL - only New Orleans, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Green Bay would be smaller, and New Orleans and Jacksonville both have five-year growth rates over 6%, while Milwaukee's growth rate is just over 1%. Buffalo is stagnant, but has the rest of upstate New York to pull from.

TheHighwayMan3561

The football fans in Milwaukee can cheer for the Packers if they so chose to that's their choice but you can't claim the Packers as belonging to Milwaukee becasue they don't. You have to drive 2 hours to get to the game that's not what I would consider to be local. The Green Bay Packers are Green Bay's team. That's who they belong to. Have you ever done the drive between Milwaukee and Green Bay? It's longer then it looks.

"You can't claim the Packers belong to Milwaukee." I think most people in Milwaukee beg to differ on this one, because that's exactly what they do.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

slorydn1

Quote from: Henry on March 14, 2017, 10:21:21 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2017, 11:02:20 AM

Right you are ;)

I am a Bears fan. My wife is a Seabags fan. We don't always agree but when we do....it's  that we both hate the Packers!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 19, 2017, 04:27:48 AM
I am a Bears fan. My wife is a Seabags fan. We don't always agree but when we do....it's  that we both hate the Patriots!
FTFY.

slorydn1

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2017, 05:39:29 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on March 19, 2017, 04:27:48 AM
I am a Bears fan. My wife is a Seabags fan. We don't always agree but when we do....it's  that we both hate the Patriots!
FTFY.

Yeah, them too. Still, I have always said that I have 2 favorite teams....the Bears, and whoever the Packers opponent happens to be that week. So, I have actually found myself pinching my nose and rooting for the Pats, about once every 4 years.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

sparker

OK -- here goes!  Expansion to 36 teams; W/C/E divisions of 6 each.   Eliminate one pre-season; expand schedule to 17 games (no 8-8 unless 8-8-1).  For practical purposes I'm assuming (a) no CA city will pony up the $$ for an expansion team (b) with the Rams, Chargers, and Raiders moving the NFL has had enough relocations for a while, so we'll consider 4 expansion teams (2 NFC, 2 AFC) in cities/metro areas likely to support football.  To this end, I'd put teams in the following cities:  Albuquerque/NFC, San Antonio/AFC, St. Louis/NFC, and Virginia/Hampton Roads/AFC.  The following is the new alignment; (*) indicates expansion team:

AFC WEST                         AFC CENTRAL                    AFC EAST
Los Angeles Chargers         Pittsburgh Steelers             New England Patriots
Las Vegas Raiders              Indianapolis Colts               New York Jets
Denver Broncos                 Tennessee Titans               Baltimore Ravens
San Antonio Range Riders*  Cincinnati Bengals              Virginia Admirals*
Houston Texans                 Cleveland Browns               Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs              Buffalo Bills                       Miami Dolphins

NFC WEST                         NFC CENTRAL                   NFC EAST
Los Angeles Rams              Minnesota Vikings              New York Giants
San Francisco 49ers           Green Bay Packers             Philadelphia Eagles
Seattle Seahawks              Chicago Bears                   Washington Redskins (if they don't change the name)
Arizona Cardinals               Detroit Lions                     Carolina Panthers
Albuquerque Pumas*          St. Louis Pioneers*            Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints            Dallas Cowboys                 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New team names speculative; I almost called St. Louis the "Blues", and Albuquerque the "Heisenbergs". :sombrero:  And, yes, I moved Dallas out of NFC East!!!  Let them build up new rivalries.  Comment away!

Henry

I see you brought back the classic 1970-2001 division alignment, but I don't think we'll ever see a team in either the Norfolk or Albuquerque area. St. Louis and San Antonio I can see, although the former is now a longshot after the messy split from the Rams.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.