News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"END CA152" shield?

Started by Hiroshi66, February 20, 2017, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi66

I was returning from a trip to Monterey this weekend, and I thought I saw something bizarre.

As I was transitioning on the ramp from CA 152 EB to I-5 SB, I could have sworn that I saw an "East 152 END" shield right before the I-5 underpass. I had to do a double-take because I couldn't believe my eyes, but sure enough, it said "end." I couldn't take a picture because I was the driver, but luckily, Google Maps proved that I'm not crazy!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0566067,-120.9722545,3a,75y,67.08h,88.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2ljRjFCzQl8_Hi2lJMjWIA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is this a mistake by Caltrans? Apologies if this has been pointed out before.

Max Rockatansky

Weird....somehow I've never noticed that and I frequent Pacheco Pass.  I'm pretty sure that is intended to mean "END" for the scenic route in regards to road over the pass.  Hell I'll snag a photo if I happen to be ever heading east on 152 towards Los Banos in the future.  I like goofs like this, I would just leave it be.

Hiroshi66

Yes, but it is quite misleading, isn't it!? I got a kick out of it, but then I thought of motorists whose GPS tells them to "continue east on 152" but are then faced with a shield telling them that 152 has "ended."
I doubt most motorists would even know or care that the Pacheco Pass is a scenic route. LOL, actually, I'd be surprised if many of them even know the name of the pass and just want to "get from SF to Socal." LOL!

kphoger

Quote from: Hiroshi66 on February 20, 2017, 03:05:33 PM
motorists whose GPS tells them to "continue east on 152" aren't looking at signs anyway.

FTFY
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hiroshi66

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 20, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
I like goofs like this, I would just leave it be.

Me too, it keeps things interesting.  :bigass:

coatimundi

I agree that it's confusing, but it is for the scenic route. Cahighways.org mentions this. http://www.cahighways.org/145-152.html#152

It seems totally unnecessary to notify motorists that a scenic route is ending. Maybe it's a "feel free to start littering again" notice? Isn't there something where there are stiffer penalties for littering on scenic routes, or am I making that up?

The Ghostbuster

I once saw on kurumi.com that CA 152 was once accidently signed as Interstate 152, so signing mistakes on this roadway would not be unprecedented.

Quillz

For a long time, CA-1 had an "END" banner at the Las Cruces junction with US-101. This is because CA-1 did end here until 1964, but obviously has since been extended. Only very recently, within the past few months, did that banner finally get removed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.