News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why are there not 4 digit interstates?

Started by texaskdog, February 21, 2017, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

It would make more sense than repeating the 3-dis

kphoger

I'd rather see 3-digit numbers that are unrelated to the parent route.
I-238 and I-99 aren't bad, they're groundbreaking.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2017, 03:31:47 PM

Or 5 digits, in LA there could be a 90210

Max Rockatansky

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a secondary numbering system for Interstates on Spur routes.  I would prefer it would still be even for E/W and off for N/S though.  Hell you could just make Interstate colored state route shields for any state highways that met standards.

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 03:43:35 PM

I-210 and "90210" are in different parts of the LA metro area.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

frankenroad

I hope you are kidding.   Those two routes are the abomination of the Interstate System. :-D
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

I'm not kidding.  I prefer random route numbers over any organized system, because organized systems invariable fall apart at some point.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
I'm not kidding.  I prefer random route numbers over any organized system, because organized systems invariable fall apart at some point.
Plus we wouldn't have all this 2di duplication; they could just pull a number from another part of the country.  Of course, it wouldn't solve the issues with I-74 and I-69.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 02:47:18 PM

1) Because not enough states have run out of available 3di routes yet?  Even California should not count IMO, since I-180 is available (and also IMO California can either grant an exception to their policy on duplicating route numbers, renumber CA 180, or do without an interstate designation).

2) Not everyone feels there is anything wrong with having multiple instances of the same 3di route.  I can vouch from experience that there are non-roadgeeks out there that would not have a problem with even having the same 3di used twice in the same state - such as using I-470 in Missouri for both routes in the Kansas City and St. Louis areas.  I would also have to wonder if some of the states DOT's would feel the same, especially since Iowa at one time seems to have wanted to have an I-280 on each end of the state. http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i280.html#280ne

Scott5114

In most states, route numbers of any type do not exceed three digits. Texas and Kentucky are the exceptions rather than the rule. Why this is the case is up for debate. It is difficult to fit a four-digit route into most standard shields without compromising legibility (in Texas this is not a problem, because only FM routes bear 4-digit numbers, and they are so minor that it doesn't matter that much). It may also be more difficult for people to remember a 4-digit number compared to a 3 digit one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nexus73

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 03:43:35 PM

That would be the Beverly Hills Freeway...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

nexus73

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2017, 06:38:14 PM
In most states, route numbers of any type do not exceed three digits. Texas and Kentucky are the exceptions rather than the rule. Why this is the case is up for debate. It is difficult to fit a four-digit route into most standard shields without compromising legibility (in Texas this is not a problem, because only FM routes bear 4-digit numbers, and they are so minor that it doesn't matter that much). It may also be more difficult for people to remember a 4-digit number compared to a 3 digit one.

Louisiana has 4 digit state routes.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

epzik8

Because there just aren't four-digit Interstates, the exception being Hawaii.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

Virginia has had state secondary system route numbers that edge up into five digits in some cases, and has had four digit secondaries for as long as I can remember.

There are also "F" routes (frontage roads, considered secondary system roads) and "T" routes (secondary system routes within the corporate limits of small towns). I know of "F" routes with an F followed by three numbers; and T routes followed by four numbers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Aerobird

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 02:47:18 PM
...this is a thing I simply cannot comprehend. Should Georgia not use State Road 369 because there's a State Road 369 in Florida? The same applies to 3dis....
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Anthony_JK

Louisiana is another exception, since they do have 1xxx and 3xxx state routes.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Aerobird on February 22, 2017, 04:02:48 AM
Should Georgia not use State Road 369 because there's a State Road 369 in Florida? The same applies to 3dis....

Remember that the 3-digit US routes don't have duplication, unlike 3-digit Interstates.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cjk374

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 22, 2017, 05:15:59 AM

Louisiana is another exception, since they do have 1xxx and 3xxx state routes.

Louisiana also has 5-digit routes when you count the hyphenated 4-digit routes.

How about this idea: should I-220 ever be completed around Shreveport/Bossier City, you could number the northern half I-220-1 & the southern half I-220-2.  :hmmm:

That is what I love about my home state...uniqueness.  :love:  :clap:  :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

Does West Virginia have any secondary state route spurs ("fractional" routes) branching off from a three-digit route? If so, then that would be another state with four digits.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Could be how like Florida does things with three digits.  All the X0 are the major east/west routes and the X5s are still major north/south.  The gaps are filled in with three digit numbers that start with the first digit of whatever even number they are in; example everything south of 50 would be in the 5XX band to 60.  Of course that would have required a 50 and 60 from the get-go and obviously there was a thought that it would cause confusion.

GreenLanternCorps

A riot is an ugly thing.  Und I think that it is just about time that we had one!

route17fan

How would such a numbering system work? Granted, rules are meant to be broken and as such there are always violations, but generally, even numbered routes are loops and odd numbered routes are spurs (I know all know this; just repeating for the point of the question) - if such a numbering system would be implemented, what would be the new guidelines?

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

kphoger

Quote from: route17fan on February 22, 2017, 09:53:48 AM
How would such a numbering system work? Granted, rules are meant to be broken and as such there are always violations, but generally, even numbered routes are loops and odd numbered routes are spurs (I know all know this; just repeating for the point of the question) - if such a numbering system would be implemented, what would be the new guidelines?

I see three possibilities:

(1) 4di would be limited to spurs and loops.  So, for example, one of the I-680 iterations could be numbered I-1280 instead to avoid duplication.  This would be the simplest and cleanest.

(2) 4di would be limited to spurs and loops of already-3di routes.  So, for example, New York's I-495 could be numbered I-1295 instead, indicating that it branches off from I-295 rather than I-95.  This would be almost as simple and clean as #1, and it makes more sense in my opinion  However, it isn't necessarily any more intuitive to Joe Driver than #1.

(2) The available pool of parent Interstates would be expanded to 1—999 and the available pool of spurs and loops would change to be 1000—9999.  This would require all current spurs and loops to be renumbered for the system to make any sense.  In addition, making room for more parent routes would only matter if you [a] renumbered a whole bunch of existing trunk Interstate highways or [2] don't care about breaking the grid.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2017, 07:28:23 AM
Does West Virginia have any secondary state route spurs ("fractional" routes) branching off from a three-digit route? If so, then that would be another state with four digits.

Yes. They're signed "xxx/xx." I don't know if I've ever seen a three-digit "denominator," though.

As to the original question, if you have 10 "children" off a single "parent" in an individual state, then I don't see why you couldn't have a 4di. New York has used up all its x90's, so should a new one be designated, it should be I-1090.

I can see North Carolina needing a 4di at the rate they're commissioning interstates.

I know of no FHWA rule that would prohibit a 4di.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2017, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2017, 07:28:23 AM

Yes. They're signed "xxx/xx." I don't know if I've ever seen a three-digit "denominator," though.

Sure enough!  I found this route shield for WV-119/13 on GSV:

Are Virginia's 5-digit routes signed with shields?  If not, then that takes us to two states with signed 5-digits route shields (LA, WV).
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.