News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

March Madness 2017

Started by US 41, March 06, 2017, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Thanks Ball, you sucked and UCLA lost  :-D :banghead:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

My left side is done and I assume almost everyone's is unless you picked Gonzaga to get to the national championship game.

My right side is perfect right now as far as picking Elite 8 teams goes. I correctly picked Kansas to play Oregon and I correctly picked UNC to play Kentucky. (I have UNC and Kansas advancing in my bracket and UNC advancing to the national championship and winning it all.)

As far as teams I'm rooting for right now goes. I'd love to see either Gonzaga or Xavier win it all this year. It would be something different and they are both mid major schools, at least by my definition.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Buck87

Quote from: US 41 on March 25, 2017, 10:19:30 AM
I'd love to see either Gonzaga or Xavier win it all this year. It would be something different and they are both mid major schools, at least by my definition.

At any rate, it's great to see that one of these 2 programs is guaranteed to make it to their first Final Four.

It's somewhat amazing how similar their tournament histories are, as BOTH schools can claim these exact stats:

16 trips to the Round of 32
8 trips to the Sweet 16
3 trips to the Elite 8

hbelkins

Hope Xavier beats Gonzaga. No preference on Kansas vs. Oregon; I'm not a Kansas fan but Oregon's coach seems to be a bit of a jerk.

Neither am I a fan of either Florida or South Carolina, but since SC has never employed Billy "The Clone" Donovan as a coach, I guess I hope they win.

No comment needed on the other regional final. UK vs. the class-skipping Tar Holes.

Would love to see a Xavier-UK game somewhere in there because the two schools are separated by about 75 miles of I-75.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I had Kansas in the Elite 8!
And I'm done.

US 41

Who I will be cheering for from here on out (underlined).

Tomorrow Elite 8
South Carolina vs Florida
Kentucky vs North Carolina

Final 4
Gonzaga vs SC/FLA winner
Oregon vs UK/UNC winner

National Championship
If either Gonzaga or South Carolina make it to the national championship I will root for them regardless of who they are playing. If Florida is playing UNC or UK I root for Florida. If Oregon is playing Florida I will root for Oregon.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, Kansas is out. Since I'm now rooting for North Carolina I can forget my main bracket. Schedule for today:
2:20 p.m.: No. 4E Florida vs No. 7E South Carolina, Madison Square Garden, New York NY
5:05 p.m.: No. 1S North Carolina vs No. 2E Kentucky, Grizzlies Forum, Memphis TN
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Buck87

South Carolina has beaten Florida...the Cocks have never penetrated this deep into the tournament before

Max Rockatansky

South Carolina just won, at least we're getting a lot of different teams going to the Final Four.  Too bad there isn't a way for both UNC and Kentucky to lose.

oscar

Meanwhile, over at the women's tournament, suspense is building over whether someone can take down UConn.

Nah, just kidding! Not that I particularly root against UConn, and the one remaining team I was rooting for just won a close one against Notre Dame to advance to the Women's Final Four. But UConn's persistent dominance is deeply unhealthy for that sport.

I stopped following this year's men's tournament early on, when the one team I was rooting for lost, and the team I was rooting against lost too. Regrettably, it took three games -- including a "First Four" play-in -- for someone to finally put Southern California out of our misery.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Buck87

Wow what a game between UNC and UK!

tdindy88

I suppose this Final Four will be exciting for anyone from the Pacific Northwest and the Carolinas.

hbelkins

North Carolina's players will be so happy about winning that they will actually attend class next week.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 26, 2017, 07:45:22 PM
I suppose this Final Four will be exciting for anyone from the Pacific Northwest and the Carolinas.
Even better, there is a 50% chance that the final game will be from entirely one region. NC vs. SC has quite a nice ring to it.

Buck87

Quote from: Alps on March 26, 2017, 08:08:16 PM
NC vs. SC has quite a nice ring to it.

Winning team gets season passes to Carowinds

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US 41

I tried starting a new poll with just the Final 4 teams, but I guess I can't unlock the poll......  :banghead:

Anyways my guess is that it will be Gonzaga and North Carolina in the title game and North Carolina will win it all.

epzik8

South Carolina-Kentucky in the title game! Right??????
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

nexus73

Carolinas vs Pacific Northwest....talk about a crazy regional matchup for the Final Four!  Once again truth is stranger than fiction...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SP Cook

No real rooting interest left in the tournament.  I guess I am for South Carolina.  SEC team.  I've meet Darius Rucker (Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish) and he is really a nice guy.  Politically incorrect state, knickname, and fanbase.  Good loyal fanbase that shows up win or lose and they have never won in anything except for baseball, they deserve somthing.   Never met anybody in SC that was not nice.

UNC was given two games by the officials, and the fact that it, for 3 decades, has been running fake degree programs for athletes should have gotten it the "death penalty".  This is way bigger than the typical paying the players.  This goes right to the legitimacy of the acadimics of the university.  And its alumni all think they went to Harvard.  Memo:  you went to a state u, and apparently one that gives out fake degrees. 

Gonzaga is some private school for rich kids on the left coast that charges $40K/year.  To hell with it.  CBS plays this sappy angle about how great it is for the little college to finally make it.  Memo: when you can pay $160K for an undergrad degree, lay off the sympathy angle.

Oregon is on the left coast and is run by Nike.  Nike is an evil company and clearly they are cheating their asses off.   Altman (coached at Marshall for one year) is a weird guy.

So go Gamecocks.

ET21

Hoping for a Carolina Final at this point, with UNC winning. Dark horse is Oregon
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rothman

How is "gamecock" politically incorrect?  Just a little birdie.
*looks innocent*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

nexus73

Quote from: Rothman on March 30, 2017, 06:23:00 PM
How is "gamecock" politically incorrect?  Just a little birdie.
*looks innocent*

Have South Carolina play Oregon State for dirty stuff...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 41

Updates for the 3 lesser tournaments. I've been following all of them (I am a college basketball nut however) and winning any of them is an accomplishment that the players and fans should be proud of.

TCU just won the NIT Championship over Georgia Tech.

Wyoming plays Coastal Carolina for the CBI Championship and St Peters plays Texas A&M-Corpus Christi for the CIT Championship. Both of those games are tomorrow night.

Buck87

Quote from: US 41 on March 30, 2017, 10:21:55 PM
Wyoming plays Coastal Carolina for the CBI Championship

In game 3 of a best of 3 series, a neat feature the CBI has used for its championship round since its inception. Interesting that Wyoming scored 81 points in both of the first two games, losing the first by 10 and winning the second by  24.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.