News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Double Red Lights (in Saskatoon)

Started by 7/8, April 23, 2017, 11:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

I got this photo today on TCH 16 at Boychuk Drive

Quote from: 7/8 on April 24, 2017, 12:31:33 AM
The third GSV link you posted with the two-head signals is pretty cool. I'm guessing the bottom signal is both a green and yellow area (so people have a heads up that it's changing to red)?

I can confirm that my guess was correct, since I saw these signals in Regina on Monday.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2017, 06:38:30 PM
People whose cars don't have mph on the speedometer (such as might be in a Canadian or Mexican vehicle driven into the US).

Canadian cars typically have a speeds in MPH on the dash as well, though the MPH values are typically written in smaller and fainter text.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 29, 2017, 02:43:55 PM
People whose cars don't have mph on the speedometer (such as might be in a Canadian or Mexican vehicle driven into the US).

Canadian cars typically have a speeds in MPH on the dash as well, though the MPH values are typically written in smaller and fainter text.

American and Canadian cars have identical speedometers, just with the MPH and KM/H values swapped. I suspect Mexican-spec vehicles have Canadian-style speedometers as well, but I'm not totally sure.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 29, 2017, 03:08:24 PM

American and Canadian cars have identical speedometers, just with the MPH and KM/H values swapped. I suspect Mexican-spec vehicles have Canadian-style speedometers as well, but I'm not totally sure.

Some Canadian vehicles do not have mph, especially older ones.  Ditto (and more so) for Mexican vehicles; the car I rented in Mexico in 2006, for example, had only km/h.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: Jet380 on April 25, 2017, 05:59:45 AM
Perhaps the double red ball is a redundancy treatment to avoid creating a dangerous situation if one of the bulbs goes out. This would be important for some of these intersections as it looks like only one left turn signal head is provided. Otherwise all it would take is one bad bulb and there is no cue for turning traffic.

I believe that is the reason.  Some jurisdictions require full signal redundancy - 2 left turn signals facing your direction.  Others only require redundancy on the red for a left turn arrow signal. 

Baltimore has these signals.  Double left red arrow.  Here is an old photo.  The signal head has been recently replaced, but more of these signals exist throughout the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3583214,-76.7051369,3a,75y,137.36h,87.47t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shIJwISX1QJ9X0B_53cKBFA!2e0!5s20150901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2017, 02:04:36 PM

Some Canadian vehicles do not have mph, especially older ones.  Ditto (and more so) for Mexican vehicles; the car I rented in Mexico in 2006, for example, had only km/h.

I'd imagine that older models were more commonly found without dual speedometers, but newer ones? I drive cars at a hotel in Seattle for the time being. I encounter my fair share of BC- and AB-plated rental and personal vehicles. My two observations have been that 1) I've never seen a Canadian car without a dual speedometer, and 2) I've never seen an American car without a dual speedometer. The last one isn't meaningless to the conversation, because American and Canadian cars are virtually indistinguishable.

GM vehicles often appear to lack dual speedometers, but the gauge can be electronically changed to point to either km/h or mph values.

Mexican vehicles though? Not totally sure on those. Never been in one.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2017, 03:44:54 PM

I'd imagine that older models were more commonly found without dual speedometers, but newer ones? I drive cars at a hotel in Seattle for the time being. I encounter my fair share of BC- and AB-plated rental and personal vehicles. My two observations have been that 1) I've never seen a Canadian car without a dual speedometer, and 2) I've never seen an American car without a dual speedometer. The last one isn't meaningless to the conversation, because American and Canadian cars are virtually indistinguishable.

GM vehicles often appear to lack dual speedometers, but the gauge can be electronically changed to point to either km/h or mph values.

From what I've read (never personally driven a Canadian vehicle), most cars in Canada do not light up the mph ring with the dashboard lights.  So it really only does you any good during daylight hours.  Can any Canadian forum members confirm or deny?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2017, 04:34:13 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2017, 03:44:54 PM

From what I've read (never personally driven a Canadian vehicle), most cars in Canada do not light up the mph ring with the dashboard lights.  So it really only does you any good during daylight hours.  Can any Canadian forum members confirm or deny?

I'm pretty sure this is the case with my 2003 RAV4, but I think my 2010 Dodge Caliber might light up the mph gauge (though not as well as the km/h). I can test it on the Caliber tomorrow.

Brandon

Quote from: 7/8 on May 01, 2017, 11:37:31 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the case with my 2003 RAV4, but I think my 2010 Dodge Caliber might light up the mph gauge (though not as well as the km/h). I can test it on the Caliber tomorrow.

Your Caliber should.  Mine (US spec, 2011 model) has both the MPH and km/h light up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

AsphaltPlanet

I have a few pictures of dashboards in various Canadian cars (I take photos of the dash when I rent cars so that I have proof of the starting mileage -- not that I've ever had that contested...)

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

The first photo is a rental Chevy Cruze that I took to Birmingham, AL last fall.  I have no idea what the gas mileage was, and it was far and away the worst car that I have ever driven.  I hope for Chevrolet's sake that the car had just been poorly maintained over the years, because calling the car spongy would be grossly unfair to submersible cleaning products everywhere.

The second one from the top (the one that shows 11.4L/100km) is a rental Hyundai Accent.  The 11.4L/100km must have been an average of the trip odometer -- there is no way that small car burns that much fuel.  I'd be surprised if a Hyundai burned even 7.5L/100km.

The third from the top is of the dash of my ford escape, which was pretty new when that picture was taken...  Since then, the mileage is down to 8.7L/100km, which is pretty good considering the size of the vehicle.  (It's got the 2.0L turbocharged engine).

IIRC, the fourth one down i a Nissan Altima, which was showing 6.6L/100km.  This was a rental that I took to New York City and Boston for a weekend last summer.  I was impressed with the Altima, it was fun to drive and great on gas.

The fifth one is from my old Pontiac Vibe, I have no idea what the gas mileage on it was, but it generally wasn't very good.  The car had a 2.4L engine with a manual transmission, so it's poor gas mileage probably had a lot to do with the aggressive manner in which it was generally driven.

7/8

Quote from: Brandon on May 02, 2017, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 01, 2017, 11:37:31 PM

Your Caliber should.  Mine (US spec, 2011 model) has both the MPH and km/h light up.

Yep you're right, I guess it's just a case of me not really looking at the mph. I haven't checked the RAV4 yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.