News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How roadgeeky is your town?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 04, 2017, 10:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 01:26:32 PM
FL 528 being widened for HOT lanes.
I believe they're technically not HOT lanes, they're express toll lanes. The HOT lanes are only for HOV conversions so they can say they aren't taking a free lane from anybody, anywhere. Express lanes built where there are not HOV lanes will not permit free access by HOV vehicles.

pianocello

Valparaiso: We've got the Lincoln Highway, which is fully signed through town as of a few months ago. In Indiana, they actually signed the two different routes: 1918 through South Bend and Goshen, and 1933 along what is now US 30. The split point is at the northwest corner of my university.

Davenport: It's the end of the signed portion of Historic US 6 through Iowa, as well as the site of the first bridge over the Mississippi River.

As far as new stuff goes, there's nothing too special in either Valparaiso or Davenport, but the new I-74 Mississippi River bridge will go up in neighboring Bettendorf within the next 4 years.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Rothman

Regarding the public and exits: For the conversion of NY 17 to I-86, some exits had to be modernized or even ramps had to be removed to be in accordance with modern standards.  The public outcry can be formidable -- not only out of inconvenience of access, but the spectre of public safety services being affected is also a factor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

I'll count all of Waterloo Region for this.

We have a fair number of highways converging in the Region, and the various number designations on the Conestoga Parkway (7/8 > 7 > 85) are interesting (I know it used to confuse my Mom a lot :-D). The confusing road layout laid out by ther Mennonites makes it somewhat unique for Ontario (comparing it to other cities using a standard British grid system). We also have a high number of roundabouts, which have mixed reactions with the locals (personally I like them). We also have some cool historic bridges due to the Grand, Nith, and Speed Rivers all in the area (particularly notable is the West Montrose Covered Bridge). There's also a few big freeway projects in the area. 7/8 widening was completed last summer in Kitchener. Widening the 401 from Hwy 8 to 24 is underway. A new freeway for Hwy 7 between 85 and Guelph has technically started, but there doesn't seem to be much construction yet. I'm sure it will be many years before it's completed, but I'm looking forward to it!

kurumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 05, 2017, 04:17:50 PM
My town has a 2di, a 3di, a former US suffixed route, and 6 signed state routes (including 1 fully contained within the town limits).

Only real items of note: A rest area that is scheduled for closure, and a left hand exit that was saved by public outcry.

You also have:
* An unsigned route (SR 509) that might be the oldest continuously numbered SR in the state (my records don't go back to 1932, but suggest this route was designated that year and happened to be in the right location to survive the district-based renumbering)
* One of the earliest grade separations (a proto-interchange) in the state. The CT 10/322 overpass was let to bid in 1930 and probably completed in 1931 or '32. This predates what we recognize as CT's state highway system. The other grade separation, US 6/CT 10, opened around the same time. I don't have specific dates for either.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

DandyDan

Mason City has the old Jefferson Highway and there's also old US 18 and old highway 106.  There's a couple of old bridges in town.  Mason City may actually offer more for the rail fan than the road geek.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

epzik8

In Bel Air, Maryland (I actually live in Forest Hill, but Bel Air is the county seat):

• U.S. Route 1 formerly went straight through Bel Air, but was shifted onto the Bel Air Bypass around 1965 or '66. Thus, U.S. 1 Business was born.
  • Not long after that, Maryland Route 23 (which again is Forest Hill, not Bel Air) was shifted to an alignment just south of and parallel to Jarrettsville Road.
  • In 1987, a new portion of Maryland Route 24 between Bel Air's retail area and the I-95 interchange in Abingdon replaced "old Route 24" through Bel Air, which became Route 924.
  • The year 2000 closed with the Bel Air Bypass being extended past the crossroads of Hickory north of town. This extension was dubbed the Hickory Bypass. U.S. 1 Business was extended further up Conowingo Road to end at the north end of the Hickory Bypass.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.