News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

yard or lawn?

Started by allniter89, May 13, 2017, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

What do you call that grassy area around your house?
lawn?
yard?
what's grass, I live in the city  :bigass:
We call it the yard

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

GaryV

Depends on how good the grass grows.

wanderer2575

Yard, covered with lawn.  Does that make sense?  I'm walking around my yard and thinking that I need to mow the lawn.

jeffandnicole

noelbotevera

Grass.

xcellntbuy

The backyard in the back, the lawn in the front. :hmmm:

corco

Yard, but "mow the lawn"

Truvelo

We call it garden over here.
Speed limits limit life

1995hoo

Depends on the size of the property. At my parents' house (single-family house, corner lot, no fences) I refer to the lawn. At my house (townhouse in the middle of a row, large hydrangea bush takes up a lot of space out front, back has a fence around it) I refer to the front yard or the backyard, but I would say I'm going outside to cut the grass. I no longer say "mow the lawn" at my house because the hydrangea is big enough that I don't use the mower any more, not enough space to maneuver it, so I use the weed-whacker to cut the grass. If I were at my parents' house I'd say "mow the lawn."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Both, I've never stuck to either.  Apparently it is "lawn" where I'm from since we have "Lawn Nazis" in Michigan.

DaBigE

The Yawn  :bigass:

For me, it's been the back yard, front lawn, and the side yard. Don't have a good reason why, other than that's what my parents always called them when it was time to mow.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jp the roadgeek

The yard is the property as a whole, including trees, shrubs, sheds, and the grass.  Lawn and grass are synonymous.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

slorydn1

Yard....

Unless it needs to cut then its "the grass".
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

davewiecking

I mow the lawn, but rake the yard. Same piece of land.

wxfree

To me, a yard is an area, a piece of land, and a lawn is a nice, maintained patch of grass.  A lot of homes around here have yards covered by whatever happens to be growing that occasionally gets mowed.  Some homes have actual lawns; some have yards but no lawns.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jwolfer

Where i grew up on a barrier island on the Jersey Shore the ground was sandy and grass would not easily grow... Some people had stones as their yard..

One older guy a friend of my grandfather on the next street had a keep of the grass sign.. At 7 years old we thought that was hillarious.

Lawn implies grass.. Yard is the property.. " the house has an acre yard but half if if is still wooded"

LGMS428

hbelkins

Quote from: wxfree on May 13, 2017, 10:12:06 PM
To me, a yard is an area, a piece of land,

Around here, that would be "a field" unless it is covered by trees, then it's "the woods."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

I've used "yard", "lawn" and "garden" interchangeably for years. Never had a name for the "front yard" but the "back yard" was often called "out back". Besides the front and back, only one side of the house had grass (other side was rock). That was usually the "side garden".

cjk374

Front yard, back yard, side yard, mow the yard or mow the grass, feed the grass, switch the yard....oh wait.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Darkchylde

It's a yard, unless you're talking about just the grass, then it's the lawn. (Get that car off the lawn.)

ColossalBlocks

Grassy land that looks like shit.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.