News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that don't have auxiliary Interstates even though they should

Started by ColossalBlocks, May 17, 2017, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

What city in your state doesn't have any spurs/bypass/loop Interstates but should have them?

For example, Springfield, IL is a clusterfucked madness when construction rolls in on I-55. At least have somewhere for the cars to go. 
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

hbelkins

Charleston, WV, IMO, needs a bypass from the WV Turnpike around the southwest, west, northwest and west to intersect US 119, I-64, I-77 and I-79 to take traffic off the I-64 Kanawha River bridge just before entering downtown.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Only one I can think of is Hagerstown, Maryland. Annapolis has a secret one in I-595, which is concurrent with U.S. 50/301.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on May 17, 2017, 11:50:56 PM
Rochester is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're looking for, that's all we have!
But Utica and Binghamton probably qualify.

Utica has I-790

In CT, Hartford proper has a couple of peripheral 3di's that act as connectors between I-84 and I-91, and one that is the remnants of the aborted highway to Providence.   New Haven and Bridgeport don't have any.  Bridgeport doesn't really need one unless CT 8 were promoted, but New Haven could use a northern half belt around Long Wharf that connects to I-95 at both ends in the West Haven and East Haven areas.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pink Jazz

Phoenix doesn't have auxiliary Interstates, but has Interstate-grade state routes and the US 60 Superstition Freeway that serves the area.  However, just for fun, if they were to become Interstates, here is how I would number them:

• Loop 101 - Interstate 410
  • Loop 202 - Interstate 610
  • Loop 303 - Interstate 217
  • SR 51 - Interstate 510
  • SR 143 - Interstate 110
  • US 60 - Interstate 317

slorydn1

I really can't think of any for NC. I almost said Durham, but really you already have the two 2 di's (40/85) on either side of town and NC-147 Freeway heading into the city. Winston-Salem, maybe? I'm not really seeing a need for a loop style 3di there and the current routing of I-40 provides an effective bypass of the actual city.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Max Rockatansky

Orlando pretty much has a beltway but it is all toll roads which causes people to pile onto I-4 since its free.  Its way too late now but a Interstate bypass along the corridor of 417 or 429 would have been nice.  Las Cruces is starting to get large enough to warrant a 3d north bypass to replace US 70.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 18, 2017, 03:59:01 AM
I really can't think of any for NC. I almost said Durham, but really you already have the two 2 di's (40/85) on either side of town and NC-147 Freeway heading into the city.

If NCDOT has their way, Durham will have I-885. Once the East End Connector project is finished, NCDOT plans to pursue I-885 between I-40 and I-85 by using NC-147 and the Connector/US-70. The idea behind it is to give RTP an interstate connection to I-85.

http://letsgetmoving.org/priorities/freeways/triangle-connector-to-i-85/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on May 17, 2017, 10:45:18 PM
What city in your state doesn't have any spurs/bypass/loop Interstates but should have them?

Not sure if there would be any in Virginia.

Maybe --

I-781 -- between I-81/I-64 interchange at Lexington, and Lynchburg area.  Connect to US-29 Lynchburg Expressway just north of Madison Heights.  Lynchburg does not have a good highway connection to either I-64 west or I-81 north, and Lynchburg does not have any Interstate service.  I have wondered why this wasn't included in the original Interstate system, or at least after the 1959 decision to route I-64 by way of Charlottesville and not by way of Lynchburg.  Yes it would cross the Blue Ridge Mountains,  but no worse terrain than the I-64 crossing at Afton Mountain.

I-281 -- upgrade VA-37 at Winchester to Interstate standards and build northerly interchange with I-81.

I-695 -- the once-planned Outer Connector freeway loop around Fredericksburg.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

inkyatari

For example, Springfield, IL is a clusterfucked madness when construction rolls in on I-55. At least have somewhere for the cars to go.

I can only imagine the madness that will occur if they ever widen 55 to 3 lanes.

I'd add Bloomington, IL, maybe an western loop of Rockford
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SP Cook

WV:  Back in the day, Huntington and Charleston took different paths.  With 64 entering Charleston and crossing the same river multiple times (ending up on the same side as it started), which, as HB points out, causes through traffic to become congested in a town that really is not that big.  Meanwhile, Huntington was completly bypassed, and even the promised non-interstate downtown access was never built.  Both could be remedied.  A southwest bypass of Charleston, although really from the WV Turnpike to Corridor G to I 64 somewhere around MP 40 is about all that is needed, 77 and especially 79 are not that big a deal.  And a spur from 64 into downtown Huntington.  Actually extending it just into Ohio and ending at OH 7 would be even better. 

KY:  Said a 1000 times, but from 64 on the northeast side of Lexington, to New Circle Road, resign a part of that, and then from New Circle to the Blue Grass Parkway.  Never will happen due to the land values.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Henry

Only one I can think of for WA is Spokane; then again, it would be nice to have an I-x90 there, especially now that the new US 395 freeway spur is being built.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bzakharin

Trenton, NJ doesn't have any sort of Interstate. It has two freeways that connects with the Interstate network (NJ 29 and US 1), but they are not nearly enough.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on May 18, 2017, 09:26:39 AM
WV:  Back in the day, Huntington and Charleston took different paths.  With 64 entering Charleston and crossing the same river multiple times (ending up on the same side as it started), which, as HB points out, causes through traffic to become congested in a town that really is not that big.  Meanwhile, Huntington was completly bypassed, and even the promised non-interstate downtown access was never built.  Both could be remedied.  A southwest bypass of Charleston, although really from the WV Turnpike to Corridor G to I 64 somewhere around MP 40 is about all that is needed, 77 and especially 79 are not that big a deal.  And a spur from 64 into downtown Huntington.  Actually extending it just into Ohio and ending at OH 7 would be even better.

I've been in a number of epic slowdowns between the Charleston and South Charleston bridges on I-64. That being said, some of them happened during construction projects. I've also seen a number of wrecks in the big curve just before/beyond (depending on direction of travel) the Charleston crossing that dog-knotted traffic. I'm not sure how bad traffic gets on 64/77 between the Yeager Bridge and the split downtown, but I've been in at least a couple of slowdowns there over the years.

[/quote]KY:  Said a 1000 times, but from 64 on the northeast side of Lexington, to New Circle Road, resign a part of that, and then from New Circle to the Blue Grass Parkway.  Never will happen due to the land values.
[/quote]

I'd be in favor of a full southern/southwestern bypass of Lexington. Start at I-75 somewhere south of Lexington and loop around to access Jessamine County, then pick up the end of the Bluegrass Parkway near Versailles and tie into I-64 somewhere between Midway and Lexington. Of course the latter will never happen and the proposed connector between Nicholasville and I-75 is going to be a surface route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

nexus73

Medford OR is getting a bypass paralleling SR 62.  I'd name it I-905 and add in the interchanges where the overpasses are so trucks can get into the back of the Big Box stores easier.

Either that or give Salem I-305 back!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sparker

Redding, CA just passed the 100K mark (city only; metro's about double that); maybe it's time to designate I-705 over the CA 44 freeway as a double-edged spur -- west into downtown and east into the burbs. 

And (getting a bit into fictional here) if & when I-7 or I-9 is ever designated/signed over CA 99 between Wheeler Ridge and either Stockton or Sacramento, CA 198 east from the present 99 junction east to the end of the freeway at CA 65 would make a decent I-309 or I-509; Visalia's large enough to warrant such a spur.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on May 18, 2017, 07:40:20 AM

Maybe --

I-781 -- between I-81/I-64 interchange at Lexington, and Lynchburg area.  Connect to US-29 Lynchburg Expressway just north of Madison Heights.  Lynchburg does not have a good highway connection to either I-64 west or I-81 north, and Lynchburg does not have any Interstate service.  I have wondered why this wasn't included in the original Interstate system, or at least after the 1959 decision to route I-64 by way of Charlottesville and not by way of Lynchburg.  Yes it would cross the Blue Ridge Mountains,  but no worse terrain than the I-64 crossing at Afton Mountain.

I-281 -- upgrade VA-37 at Winchester to Interstate standards and build northerly interchange with I-81.

Virginia is indeed pretty tricky and because of that I'll go with one that I'm not sure whether or not counts...
The Southside Richmond, VA metro area has I-95,VA-76, VA-150, and VA-288. I-295 is close by, but I don't think that area is still considered "Southside Richmond".
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

roadgeek01

I'd say Lancaster, PA.  It's pretty far away from interstates such as I-76 and I-83, plus Lancaster being almost 10,000 people larger than Harrisburg. 
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

mgk920

Appleton, WI  :D
Green Bay, WI
West Bend, WI
Madison, WI
Sheboygan, WI
River Falls, WI
La Crosse, WI
Eau Claire, WI
Rockford, IL

Mike

national highway 1

Santa Fe, NM - NM 599 could become a hypothetical I-525.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 18, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
Maybe --

Virginia is indeed pretty tricky and because of that I'll go with one that I'm not sure whether or not counts...
The Southside Richmond, VA metro area has I-95,VA-76, VA-150, and VA-288. I-295 is close by, but I don't think that area is still considered "Southside Richmond".

VA-288 is built to Interstate standards and IMO should be designated as an Interstate. 
That is where I-695 should actually go.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2017, 09:11:18 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 18, 2017, 12:04:14 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 17, 2017, 11:50:56 PM
Rochester is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're looking for, that's all we have!
But Utica and Binghamton probably qualify.

Utica has I-790

Utica qualifies because I-790 doesn't  :bigass:
Where else would you put a 3di in Utica?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mapmikey

I would postulate that mountain crossings south of Afton are actually a good bit worse.  If you compare US 250's crossing of Afton Mtn it is light years easier than VA 56 and significantly better than US 60, the original VA 13 crossing, or US 501.  This could be partly why when Lynchburg was still on I-64's path, it followed US 460 over to the Roanoke area and US 220 up to Covington...

I poked around CTB minutes of the late 50s and did not find anything that speaks to this specific question...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.