Cities with a shitty freeway setup

Started by ColossalBlocks, May 19, 2017, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

i always thought st louis had good freeways, were any cancelled?

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 01, 2017, 10:28:37 AM
Others probably have better facts, but I believe there are? were? some ghost ramps along I-70 just North of Downtown, and I think it was supposed to be for a Northern end of a West Side N/S Freeway. If I had to guess, extending North from the I-55/I-44 Southern Split, to near the Market Street Exit complex on 64/40, and then the "maybe" ghost ramp (gone now) on I-70 was just north of Branch St Exit -- can see a road/ramp going under I-70 to seemingly nowhere, that has since been removed and I-70 put back on the ground instead of an overpass there.

The 55/44 Southern junction looks like it could have been made with a through N/S route, and that 64/40 exit for Market Street doesn't look quite right either, especially with all the ROW between the ramps -- almost enough for about 4-6 lanes of a through road?

Where and how the exact routing...well there are enough road geeks around here, that surely one or two are historians =)

Over on the IL side, the South interchange of I-255 and IL-3 looks over-engineered...maybe for a thought of an extended I-24, sometime, back in the day?

And also, the interchange on I-55/I-64 for Tudor Ave/13th St looks like it was engineered for a freeway, where there is none

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 23, 2017, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: I-90 on May 23, 2017, 08:11:01 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 20, 2017, 03:28:47 PM
Milwaukee only really seems to be missing an e-w freeway in the northern part of the city.  Everything else is a fixable design/capacity issue as far as I'm concerned.
Search up park east freeway

The Park East was a useless waste of space.  Good riddance.
The Park West Freeway would have been the one with some merit if it met up with the FdL Freeway.  But I don't think it would have been worth it to slash through so much neighborhood.
The one canceled MKE freeway I sometimes lament is the Bay Freeway; a once-proposed east-west freeway that would have linked I-43 and WI 145 between Capitol and Hampton.
If it was such a useless waste of space then why did the land sit empty for so long? We all told what a gold mine the land was but it took well over a decade before anything was built there. If it wasn't for the new Bucks arena who knows how long it would have sat there vacant.

michravera

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on May 19, 2017, 03:47:42 PM
Since webny99 made a thread on cities with a great freeway setup, I decided to make a thread about cities with awful freeway setups.

So what are the cities with the shittiest freeway setup?
San Francisco BY FAR. Just try to get from SFO to the Marin headlands in anything like a reasonable time by Freeway. Hint: It's US-101 to I-80 across the Bay Bridge to I-580 across the San Rafael Bridge to US-101 south. ... and some of that isn't even limited access. Both Van Ness (the posted US-101) and 19th Ave (the posted CASR-1) are surface streets and have nothing approaching synchronized signals.

US 89

Quote from: michravera on August 02, 2017, 01:55:23 PM
Since webny99 made a thread on cities with a great freeway setup, I decided to make a thread about cities with awful freeway setups.

San Francisco BY FAR. Just try to get from SFO to the Marin headlands in anything like a reasonable time by Freeway. Hint: It's US-101 to I-80 across the Bay Bridge to I-580 across the San Rafael Bridge to US-101 south. ... and some of that isn't even limited access. Both Van Ness (the posted US-101) and 19th Ave (the posted CASR-1) are surface streets and have nothing approaching synchronized signals.

It could have been all-freeway if the Embarcadero Freeway hadn't been cancelled/torn down.

intelati49

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 01, 2017, 10:13:18 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 01, 2017, 10:28:37 AM
Others probably have better facts, but I believe there are? were? some ghost ramps along I-70 just North of Downtown, and I think it was supposed to be for a Northern end of a West Side N/S Freeway. If I had to guess, extending North from the I-55/I-44 Southern Split, to near the Market Street Exit complex on 64/40, and then the "maybe" ghost ramp (gone now) on I-70 was just north of Branch St Exit -- can see a road/ramp going under I-70 to seemingly nowhere, that has since been removed and I-70 put back on the ground instead of an overpass there.

The 55/44 Southern junction looks like it could have been made with a through N/S route, and that 64/40 exit for Market Street doesn't look quite right either, especially with all the ROW between the ramps -- almost enough for about 4-6 lanes of a through road?

Where and how the exact routing...well there are enough road geeks around here, that surely one or two are historians =)

Over on the IL side, the South interchange of I-255 and IL-3 looks over-engineered...maybe for a thought of an extended I-24, sometime, back in the day?

And also, the interchange on I-55/I-64 for Tudor Ave/13th St looks like it was engineered for a freeway, where there is none

Off the top of my head, there were plans to continue I-170 South to I-55.

You got the MO755 using the ramps from the I-44/55 interchange and the Market St ramps that have that excessive ROW. Narrative about Route 755 including maps and route descriptions.

Can't find hardly anything over the E St Louis stuff. But, admittedly I don't live in STL, so it's hard to find the 1960s-1980s stuff online

kkt

19th Avenue used to have timed signals southbound... is that no longer the case?

A lot varies with conditions.  On nice days, especially summers and weekends, the Golden Gate Bridge gets very crowded with tourists.  But 880 is often terrible too, and so are the Bay Bridge, San Rafael Bridge, and San Mateo Bridge (another option).  Really you should check out traffic conditions right before you head out. 

ilpt4u

Quote from: intelati49 on August 03, 2017, 12:46:40 PM
You got the MO755 using the ramps from the I-44/55 interchange and the Market St ramps that have that excessive ROW. Narrative about Route 755 including maps and route descriptions.
MO 755 looks like it ran into a similar fate as I-494/Chicago's Crosstown Expressway, that never happened

michravera

Quote from: kkt on August 03, 2017, 06:41:53 PM

19th Avenue used to have timed signals southbound... is that no longer the case?

A lot varies with conditions.  On nice days, especially summers and weekends, the Golden Gate Bridge gets very crowded with tourists.  But 880 is often terrible too, and so are the Bay Bridge, San Rafael Bridge, and San Mateo Bridge (another option).  Really you should check out traffic conditions right before you head out.

Maybe (and I have strong reservations about that) 19th is timed southbound, but certainly not northbound!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.