News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hacking traffic lights?

Started by I-90, May 19, 2017, 09:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-90

Wonder how the department of transportation thinks about this

hotdogPi

He's probably just timing the button presses so that he presses the button when the light turns green.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Gosh, he did not even try to make this look sorta real. The light turned green a good 3-5 seconds before he pressed the remote.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

There was a guy out in Scottsdale, AZ about a decade ago that had some sort of switch that emulated the one that emergency services used to change the light to green.  Apparently Scottsdale PD had to put up officers at major intersections for a couple rush hours to find out who was doing it. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 19, 2017, 11:14:08 PM
There was a guy out in Scottsdale, AZ about a decade ago that had some sort of switch that emulated the one that emergency services used to change the light to green.  Apparently Scottsdale PD had to put up officers at major intersections for a couple rush hours to find out who was doing it.
Did he get caught? If so what was the punishment?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2017, 12:05:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 19, 2017, 11:14:08 PM
Did he get caught? If so what was the punishment?

Yes he was caught fairly easily because it was at the same time everyday on Scottsdale Road.  I want to say his driver's license was revoked and there was heavy fines.  I'd have to check my old statue book for Arizona to see what he was charged with because I can't find any articles since it has been at least a decade.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: I-90 on May 19, 2017, 09:41:38 PM

Probably gave them a good laugh for a day.

In case you forgot how traffic lights work, a light is green, then yellow, then red.  If a guy could turn the light from red to green instantly, wouldn't that cause traffic on the other street to go from green to red instantly, causing all sorts of issues?

And why would a guy sit in traffic at an intersection if he has the ability to turn the light green instantly?

epzik8

Wiring a traffic light to a DirecTV remote?! Not possible.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2017, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: I-90 on May 19, 2017, 09:41:38 PM

Probably gave them a good laugh for a day.

In case you forgot how traffic lights work, a light is green, then yellow, then red.  If a guy could turn the light from red to green instantly, wouldn't that cause traffic on the other street to go from green to red instantly, causing all sorts of issues?

And why would a guy sit in traffic at an intersection if he has the ability to turn the light green instantly?
Why? He wants to cause trouble.

hm insulators

I remember years ago, buses on certain streets in L.A. had a device they could use to get a green light, similar to what's being discussed here. Are they still doing that?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ajlynch91

It is impossible to "hack" a traffic signal, at least with a DirecTV remote, as the controller is on a private, local network. Even if someone were to hack a signal, you wouldn't be able to cause a conflict (having opposing greens come up at the same time), the signal would just go into a red flash if a conflict occurred, as there's a device independent of the controller that acts as a fail safe for such a situation.

As far as buses getting a green, that is nothing more than a preemptor, which would act as a second precedence to the bus after emergency vehicles. Waukegan, IL (of all places) used to use them a few years ago, but for whatever reason the project and idea was abandoned. I'm not sure where or even if anyone is using that for their bus system, although it would be a great idea for bus rapid transit lines.

7/8

Quote from: ajlynch91 on May 24, 2017, 05:21:47 PM
As far as buses getting a green, that is nothing more than a preemptor, which would act as a second precedence to the bus after emergency vehicles. Waukegan, IL (of all places) used to use them a few years ago, but for whatever reason the project and idea was abandoned. I'm not sure where or even if anyone is using that for their bus system, although it would be a great idea for bus rapid transit lines.

Waterloo Region uses these for the 200 iXpress bus route.

http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/express-buses.aspx
QuoteThe 200 iXpress bus uses transit priority signals to move along routes more quickly. These signals detect buses as they approach and either extend the green or shorten the red signal to minimize delays.

roadman

Wonder if he's related to the guy who tried to convince people that the newest iPhones have a "hidden" headphone jack that could be revealed by drilling a hole into the case?

"But, but, but - I saw it on the INTERNET!  So it MUST be true."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

LM117

The talk about hacking reminded me of this incident in North Carolina that happened in 2013. :-D

http://www.wral.com/hacked-dot-alert-warns-of-women-drivers-rain-obama-care-/13082760/

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.