Toll roads that still use coin baskets

Started by DevalDragon, May 30, 2017, 02:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

After reading that the Illinois Tollway will be replacing coin baskets with more modern/complicated machines that take bills and credit cards, it has me wondering if anybody else still uses coin baskets?

I know the Chicago Skyway, Richmond Petersburg Turnpike and Dulles Tollway used them, but that was years ago.

Who still uses coin baskets in 2017 aside from the ISTHA?

1995hoo

It's been several years since I've been on the Garden State Parkway, but a Google search seems to indicate they still have the coin-drop lanes.

The Dulles Toll Road (not "Tollway") got rid of them a few years ago in recognition that when all the tolls, main plaza and ramps, were at least $1.00 it didn't make a lot of sense to have the coin-drop lanes anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Florida's Turnpike Enterprise still has them at exit ramps on the Suncoast Parkway.

jeffandnicole

The Garden State Parkway does still have coin baskets.

The Atlantic City Expressway has coin baskets as well.

WillWeaverRVA

The Richmond, Virginia expressway system (VA 195 and VA 76) still uses coin baskets at pretty much all of its toll points. The Powhite Parkway Extension (operated by VDOT and not the Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority) also has them.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 30, 2017, 07:42:36 AM
Florida's Turnpike Enterprise still has them at exit ramps on the Suncoast Parkway.

They are very small now, as the one's at Exit 259 at I-4 you have to grip your coins and release them real close to the target as before you could be somewhat careless.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Toll road coin baskets; one place where one can practice their hook-shot.  :-D
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

How about the Everett Turnpike and Maine Turnpike at the off ramps?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Beeper1

Everett Turnpike still has them at the exit 10 and 11 ramps.   I don't think the Maine Turnpike has ever had them.

Brandon

The Oklahoma turnpikes had them as recently as 2015.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

epzik8

Delaware Route 1 has at least one, at a Dover-area interchange.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: DevalDragon on May 30, 2017, 02:13:59 AM
After reading that the Illinois Tollway will be replacing coin baskets with more modern/complicated machines that take bills and credit cards, it has me wondering if anybody else still uses coin baskets?

I know the Chicago Skyway, Richmond Petersburg Turnpike and Dulles Tollway used them, but that was years ago.

Who still uses coin baskets in 2017 aside from the ISTHA?
now will they make more ramps ETC only?? have a virtual ticket system with readers on all ramps?

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 30, 2017, 09:13:38 AM
The Richmond, Virginia expressway system (VA 195 and VA 76) still uses coin baskets at pretty much all of its toll points. The Powhite Parkway Extension (operated by VDOT and not the Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority) also has them.

Smart Tag / E-ZPass electronic tolling was installed in the 1990s, but the manual toll booths remained for those without.

The VA-161 Boulevard Bridge is part of RMA and has both electronic and manual toll booths.

The Route 895 Pocahontas Parkway is run by VDOT and has both electronic and manual toll booths, although the Airport Connector interchange is AET.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

FreewayDan

HCTRA still has two portions of its system that still use coin baskets: Sam Houston Tollway (except for the northeast section between I-69 North and U.S. 90 and the Ship Channel Bridge) and the Fort Bend Toll Road (north of Beltway 8). 
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Tonytone

Most of the on and off ramps from DE-1 Uses coin baskets, with a change machine right before the toll booth. Sometimes the change machine malfunctions, and there is also a Ezpass lane so drivers don't have to wait.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

sbeaver44

PA Turnpike 43 uses Coin Drop even on the newer ramp toll plazas

Nexus 6P

RobbieL2415

IIRC, and while not necessarily baskets the Mass Pike used automated toll machines at some exits before the switch to AET.

US 89

Quote from: Brandon on May 30, 2017, 05:42:59 PM
The Oklahoma turnpikes had them as recently as 2015.

According to this GSV https://goo.gl/maps/yRbPhYoNb8D2 the Chickasaw turnpike had them in Sept 2016.

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 01, 2017, 03:04:53 PM
IIRC, and while not necessarily baskets the Mass Pike used automated toll machines at some exits before the switch to AET.
MassPike used automated machines to dispense tickets to cars at entrance plazas, but never had machines for drivers to leave their tolls in upon exit - that was always handled by toll takers.  The only coin baskets that MassPike had were at the Allston-Brighton plaza, at the Route 16 entrance plaza in West Newton, and the westbound plaza to I-95/128/Route 30.  The Route 16 plaza was totally removed in the early 1990s at the direction of then MTA Chairman Jim Keraisotes (story goes that he ordered the plaza's removal after entering there late one evening and discovering the toll taker was fast asleep), and the other coin baskets were removed shortly after the Turnpike updated their "Fast Lane" system to be compatible with E-ZPass in the late 1990s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

I don't think Maryland has had baskets for many, many years.  I know there were baskets at the non-attended tolls on the ramps on the JFK Highway (I-95 between White Marsh and the Delaware line), but those were removed in the early 1980's.

In Virginia, I think there are still some baskets on the Dulles Toll Road (VA-267), but many of those have been replaced with E-ZPass Only lanes. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jp the roadgeek

Coin baskets are only viable when the toll at a certain barrier is a fixed amount less than $1, and not based on mileage.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Truvelo

To be honest I'll be glad to see the back of the Illinois Tollway baskets. The one at the O'Hare exit has fiddled me on most occasions I've used it. I always put the correct amount in and waited forever for the light never to turn green. A few weeks later I'm greeted with a violation letter from the rental car company together with a $25 processing charge. Thankfully on one occasion a member on here kindly paid the correct toll and saved me the headache.
Speed limits limit life

Bitmapped

The North Beckley Plaza (Exit 48) on the West Virginia Turnpike still has coin baskets.

PColumbus73

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 01, 2017, 05:13:23 PM
Coin baskets are only viable when the toll at a certain barrier is a fixed amount less than $1, and not based on mileage.

The Garden State Parkway have always had them at their $1.50 tolls.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.