News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crossroads of America

Started by webny99, June 01, 2017, 09:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: empirestate on June 16, 2017, 10:30:49 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 16, 2017, 09:43:48 PM
Quote from: empirestate on June 16, 2017, 09:22:41 PM
If that's so, why does the sign for a crossroads only have two crossing roads?

5-way and 6-way intersections are much more rare than the common 4-way intersection of two crossing roads. A sign labeling a crossroads must be at a single intersection, but calling a city a crossroads allows much more than a pair of roads.

That right there probably sums up the ambiguity: because of course, a city is not a crossroads; it's only a metaphor. So then you have to decide what the attributes of a crossroads are that you would want to extend to an entire city. One of those is that there are only two intersecting roads, but that may or may not be what's intended by the metaphor. However, the OP gives a clue that this is indeed a characteristic that's intended here, as one of the options is to nominate a pair (only) of intersecting Interstates. But then again, not all clues lead to the solution.
cities with interchanges can be crossroads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Sam

Quote from: briantroutman on June 12, 2017, 04:33:22 PM
I think the population centers and corridors of commerce in today's United States are too geographically dispersed for the term "Crossroads of America"  to be very meaningful.

Judging by  kurumi's Interstate ranking in the other thread, it would be NYC (Teaneck) then Boston (Weston) then Jacksonville.

For New York, based on that hierarchy, it would be Syracuse, but I think it's Albany.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on June 02, 2017, 05:27:06 AM
Indianapolis has commonly and historically used the term.  Joliet, IL, uses the term "Crossroads of Mid-America" (I-55 & 80, previously US-6, 30, & 66).

I believe Shorewood IL uses the phrase "Crossroads of America" as well, seeing as it actually has the I-80 / I-55 interchange in the village boundaries.

I do know their community festival is Crossroads Fest
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: JJBers on June 12, 2017, 12:44:28 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 12, 2017, 11:08:55 AM
Quote from: JJBers on June 03, 2017, 06:33:26 PM
Crossroads of New England...Boston, then Hartford.

Lebanon, New Hampshire claims this title.

I-89/91 and US 4/5 intersect right across the river in White River Junction, Vermont so Lebanon misses the mark on claiming to be a crossroads of anything by a few miles.

Also, the star on that logo is nowhere near Lebanon.
I-89 and I-91 severe somewhat of the same purpose in New England. I would only see the US 3/4 intersection as somewhat important

I disagree

I-89 serves as a way to connect Boston to Burlington and ultimately Montreal (and of course Burlington to Montreal). I-89 is a very important roadway.

I-91 is an important north to south highway for Western New England but probably not that important in the grand scheme of things (north of Springfield at least).

Their intersection is probably not a good crossroads of New England though and I'd argue that the I-90/91 junction is the Crossroads of New England. I-91 crosses the Mass Pike just north of the last urban center on I-91 (Springfield). I-90 takes you towards Boston, Providence and the more urban Eastern New England whereas I-91 continues north into the woods and mountains of Northern New England.

westerninterloper

The Crossroads of America is in Terre Haute, Indiana, at the intersection of Seventh Street and Wabash Avenue. That intersection was the historical junction of US 40, the National Road, and US 41, which travels from north of Chicago to Miami. Indiana's motto came from that intersection, which has a historical marker from the State of Indiana, and not from Indianapolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_of_America

http://www.in.gov/history/markers/374.htm

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

US 89

St. Louis could also be a crossroads of America, simply because of its easy connections to other major cities. When I was there recently, I was surprised to see several large cities as control cities on the various freeways. Those included Kansas City, Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Tulsa, etc...

ixnay

Quote from: pianocello on June 02, 2017, 12:34:20 AM
Taking a quick look at a map, the only cities with more than 6 2di legs radiating out of the metro area are Indianapolis and Chicago. Since we're excluding Indianapolis, I say Chicago.

But really, it's Indy. No question.

Having read very little about Indy except for the 500 and the Colts, I always considered the Windy City the XroA, because of the roads, railroads, and ORD.

ixnay

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 25, 2017, 12:43:25 AM
St. Louis could also be a crossroads of America, simply because of its easy connections to other major cities. When I was there recently, I was surprised to see several large cities as control cities on the various freeways. Those included Kansas City, Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Tulsa, etc...

Indianapolis has a lot of large cities that seem distant as control cities on the Interstates leaving it.  Chicago, Peoria, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton/Columbus*, Fort Wayne on existing signs, with Evansville probably to come in the future eventually if not something further south on I-69. 
It is impressive especially when you are used to control cities that are much more local.

*Columbus on older signs, Dayton on newer ones for I-70 leaving to the east

hbelkins

I never understood the use of Peoria for I-74 west.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

As opposed to what? Peoria is the largest community along I-74 in that direction.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 25, 2017, 07:32:03 PM
As opposed to what? Peoria is the largest community along I-74 in that direction.

If it was up to me I'd use Champaign as the control city. Champaign and Urbana put together are about the same size as Peoria, it has 3 interstates, and the University of Illinois.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 25, 2017, 07:32:03 PM

Champaign. It's a decent-sized city and a significant interstate intersection.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 25, 2017, 05:34:52 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 25, 2017, 12:43:25 AM

Indianapolis has a lot of large cities that seem distant as control cities on the Interstates leaving it.  Chicago, Peoria, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton/Columbus*, Fort Wayne on existing signs, with Evansville probably to come in the future eventually if not something further south on I-69. 
It is impressive especially when you are used to control cities that are much more local.

*Columbus on older signs, Dayton on newer ones for I-70 leaving to the east

The interstates in Louisville use Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Lexington, Nashville and St. Louis as control cities so I don't think Indy is really rare in that regard.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.