least important east to west interstate ending in zero that is not I-30?

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 02, 2017, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: Quillz on August 12, 2017, 04:11:10 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 11, 2017, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2017, 07:58:37 AM
Quote from: Quillz on August 10, 2017, 11:06:29 PM
I-16*

*I don't live in Georgia, so this is probably wrong.

Since when does I-16 or I-16* end in 0?
And what does living in Georgia have to do with this?
Well in addition to misreading the topic title, I don't know I-16's importance to Georgia. It struck me as a minorly important intrastate, as a lot of them tend to be.
i16 links the port of Savannah with i75. Links Atlanta with the coast via i75 also.

Not to mention connection between Macon and Savannah... 2 of Georgia's largest cities

LGMS428

Flint1979

I would say that I-16 has some importance. As mentioned it connects Savannah with I-75 and I-75 connects with Atlanta. I-16 also serves as a hurricane evacuation route for Savannah and other coastal areas that's why they have the gates like at a train crossing at the exit ramps.

hbelkins

The reason I-40 gets so much truck traffic is because it's the logical route between the country's two largest cities. I-40 to I-81 to I-78 or I-80 to get from LA to NYC. This is also why I-81 is often referred to as "truck infested." I-40 has an easier crossing of the Continental Divide than any of the other logical routes from LA to NYC, and there are also no tolls. If you instead use I-15 to I-70 to go east, you're paying tolls in Kansas and Pennsylvania.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

How many trucks are really driving the full length between NYC and LA though?  I thought shippers used distribution centers and that the really long stuff that didn't stop used rail.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Quillz

Quote from: vdeane on August 13, 2017, 06:15:04 PM
How many trucks are really driving the full length between NYC and LA though?  I thought shippers used distribution centers and that the really long stuff that didn't stop used rail.
I work at a place that has recently been getting deliveries from drivers coming all the way from Quebec City, so I suppose it's not all that uncommon. A lot probably depends on what is being delivered and when it's needed, distribution centers are usually more for just shipping regular product on standard intervals (at least with my experience with them).

US 89

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2017, 09:07:23 PM
The reason I-40 gets so much truck traffic is because it's the logical route between the country's two largest cities. I-40 to I-81 to I-78 or I-80 to get from LA to NYC. This is also why I-81 is often referred to as "truck infested." I-40 has an easier crossing of the Continental Divide than any of the other logical routes from LA to NYC, and there are also no tolls. If you instead use I-15 to I-70 to go east, you're paying tolls in Kansas and Pennsylvania.

In addition to tolls, the I-70 route also involves five significant mountain passes in UT and CO.

ilpt4u

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 15, 2017, 10:20:14 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2017, 09:07:23 PM

In addition to tolls, the I-70 route also involves five significant mountain passes in UT and CO.
I think I mentioned this before, but you can bypass the UT/CO Mountain Passes, using the "US 66" route of I-40 to I-44 to I-70 and then further East, but I was reminded that this introduces Tolls from the OK and PA Turnpikes.

But at least when I looked it up on Google Maps, the I-15/40/44/70/78 route is shorter than the I-15/40/81/78 route, and neither uses the UT/CO Mountain passes of I-70

sparker

It seems like all of the interstates with "0" endings are a bit schizophrenic, with certain segments featuring much less traffic than the adjoining ones.  Having clinched all but a few miles of the "zeroes", I can safely state that the following segments fit that description:

I-10 from I-20 east to the San Antonio outskirts (Kerrville and east).  Most traffic volume originates with or shifts to I-20 in West Texas.

I-20 from Dallas to Meridian, MS.  Much of the traffic shifts to I-30 in order to head northeast; the other way, dissipation at Birmingham to I-22 (and US 78 before that) and at Meridian to I-59 keeps the central section relatively light-trafficked.

Even though it's short, I-30 has always seemed to have high volume, particularly in terms of commercial trucks. 

I-40's "dead spot" is between OKC and Little Rock; while truckers with an East Coast destination and/or origin may use it for shunpiking purposes, those going to/from the central/upper Midwest tend to be captive to I-44 (no practical options for shunpiking there!). 

As the Denver area grows, so does the traffic on I-70 west of Topeka -- even though the overall volume west of Denver tends to be seasonal.  The rest of it, especially east of St. Louis, always seemed to be heavily utilized.

I-80 tends to have much shorter "dead spots" than most; the most visible of these is between I-25 and the western I-76.  Also:  while heavily used by commercial trucks, the lack of population on I-80 between Youngstown, OH and the I-380 junction in the Poconos tends to mitigate against heavy non-commercial use.

I-90:  One big old dead spot from I-25 to Tomah, WI (I-94 jct.) with the exception of localized traffic patterns near Rapid City and Sioux Falls.  What traffic there is is dominated by commercial trucks.  This is largely due to the presence of I-94 via the Twin Cities (duh!). 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.