Where were you when The Great Forum Outage of 2017 happened?

Started by MNHighwayMan, June 09, 2017, 02:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

I was at home, drunk and disappointed that my favorite forum was offline.

What about you guys?

TheHighwayMan3561

At home or work, one of the two. I don't remember which. I guess not having the board around for a few days didn't bother me too much because I was busy.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

The first day, I was super productive. Every day since, I just moped around. I think I have an addiction.

NE2

On Facepoo messenger with the rest of the chat sickos.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2017, 02:36:41 AM

What, the entire five days?

What about you guys?

Usual routing just with less forum time.  Reading Washington Post, it's just not the same though.

jeffandnicole

I was curled up in the corner...hiding...eating whatever bug crawled my way.

I had so many stories to tell. So many experiences to share.  But now, they're all lost.  Forgotten in the wind.   Down the drain, never to be recovered.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kkt on June 09, 2017, 04:09:38 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2017, 02:36:41 AM

What, the entire five days?

:-D Nah, just part of that first day. And maybe select parts in between. :D

Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2017, 03:18:29 AM
The first day, I was super productive. Every day since, I just moped around. I think I have an addiction.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who checked a few times a day to see if it were back online.

hotdogPi

Instead of my "home page" being Recent Unread Topics on this forum, it was my contributions page on Wikipedia. I could click the back button and reload the page at any time to see if the forum was up, and then go forward a page if it wasn't.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

D-Dey65

On the many other websites that I frequent, some of which you people already know about.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

CNGL-Leudimin

A tweet supposedly written by me in a language other than Spanish appeared.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

signalman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2017, 06:24:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who checked a few times a day to see if it were back online.
I checked several times a day every day.  I was pleasantly surprised when I checked just now and saw it's finally back  :nod:

xcellntbuy

Cleaning my new house.  Travelled to Atlanta for a long business meeting.  Got to see a lot of road and sign changes.  BGS are getting bigger!  Very happy to return to the peace and quiet of the vast tracts of pine trees in the Oconee National Forest along GA 212 and 16. :wave:

Alex

Working with James trying to restore it and responding to most of the messages asking what happened or those pointing out that it was down. All the while I've be away from home in either Mobile or Birmingham, Alabama.

intelati49

Quote from: signalman on June 09, 2017, 08:38:22 AM
I checked several times a day every day.  I was pleasantly surprised when I checked just now and saw it's finally back  :nod:

I actually figured out that http://kcicon.org was lapsed trying to get my fix. Went just fine, but there's something about this forum

US71

Sorting photos from my trip to Texas, sorting photos from a day-trip to Little Rock to see the new US 10.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

7/8

Quote from: signalman on June 09, 2017, 08:38:22 AM

Yep!

Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2017, 03:18:29 AM

I don't think I was anymore productive on the first day; I still managed to find ways to waste time :-D

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

I have not had my PC at home on all week and I do not dare to view the forum at the office, so I checked periodically on my phone or my iPad. Those don't have a "hard refresh" option like hitting Ctrl-F5 on your PC, so I was somewhat pleased when froggie tweeted at AARoads about it and got a reply–it confirmed to me it wasn't an issue on my end.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on June 09, 2017, 09:33:12 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2017, 09:19:53 AM
Quote from: US71 on June 09, 2017, 09:12:03 AM
...Little Rock...
...US 10

I have to assume that's a typo.

All right, signing error with AR-10, now that I've checked a map of Little Rock. But I mean, you're welcome to have a southern US-10, I guess; I mean, if you really want :) .

I-39

What exactly happened anyway that caused the forum to go down?

1995hoo

Quote from: I-39 on June 09, 2017, 09:45:03 AM
What exactly happened anyway that caused the forum to go down?

Per the AARoads Twitter account, "The server needs to migrate to a newer PHP for the SMF s/w. 1&1 is trying to expedite that, but it will take some time."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Just doing normal things, as lately I have been so busy even to post when it was up lately.  Even in May for 10 days I was not even on here at all cause there is so much going on.  Try looking after a 90 year old woman who has many health problems and can't drive anymore, you can't even find the time for your own self, plus medical issues of my own.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.