News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Where should we move?

Started by texaskdog, June 10, 2017, 07:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Choices are:

Albuquerque, NM
Boise, ID
Colorado Springs, CO
El Paso, TX
Grand Junction, CO
Las Vegas, NV
Logan, UT
Ogden, UT
Pueblo, CO
San Angelo, TX
Santa Fe, NM

Wife wants to get away from allergies in Austin, TX.  I don't want to live around a lot of snow.  We don't want a high crime city and preferably one without a high cost of living.  What are your experiences if any of you have lived in any of these cities?

We like the idea of being close to any of the following: San Diego, Moab, Yellowstone, Big Bend (obviously we can't be near all)

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Max Rockatansky

Boise is taking off right now so you might get in at a low price and make some money as the city grows.  My brother just moved there from Phoenix and he's loving it so far.  The weather is a little mix of everything, but overall pretty moderate. 

jwolfer

If you move to a smaller city in Utah it may be a culture shock if you are not Mormon.. The company i worked for years ago had an office in Salt Lake.. Friends transfered there and they felt like outsiders with many Mormon neighbors

Best of luck with your move. Have you checked out city-data forums? A lot of good helpful and honest information both good and bad from people. Be forewarned there are a ton of misereable negative nellie types who would complain about anywhere. 

I would say go where you get the best job offers. Or transfer with your current job. Smaller cities can be hard ro break through the locals only scene. Much easier to have a job lined up

LGMS428

texaskdog

Quote from: jwolfer on June 10, 2017, 09:30:53 PM
If you move to a smaller city in Utah it may be a culture shock if you are not Mormon.. The company i worked for years ago had an office in Salt Lake.. Friends transfered there and they felt like outsiders with many Mormon neighbors

Best of luck with your move. Have you checked out city-data forums? A lot of good helpful and honest information both good and bad from people. Be forewarned there are a ton of misereable negative nellie types who would complain about anywhere. 

I would say go where you get the best job offers. Or transfer with your current job. Smaller cities can be hard ro break through the locals only scene. Much easier to have a job lined up

LGMS428

We've been told (by Mormons that live in Utah) that we would be discriminated against as non-Mormons for jobs, etc.  They are pretty nice people overall otherwise.

I left Saint Paul for Austin 11 years ago with no job, little money, nowhere to live, and just the stuff in my car and it went well and at least have a family now. 

My wife works for a big company that is everywhere.  That could determine where we go.

Rothman

Mormon here; lived in Idaho for a couple of years and have had lengthy visits with family in Utah. 

Ogden is a pit.  Stay away.

Regarding discrimination against non-Mormons, it does still happen, but it is much better than it was years ago.  The reason for it is the "looking out for our own" kind of mentality and thinking that if someone is a good member that they are someone who can be trusted (which is only a hair's breadth from exploited, but Mormons exploiting Mormons is another topic altogether).  Remember, Mormons moved west to get away from non-Mormons that, in some cases, were killing them, so the distrust was handed down generation to generation.

Also be prepared to earn less, especially in Utah.  Employers are infamously stingy and land values are not the deal they were say back before the Olympics.

That all said, it is also simple bad manners to come into a community dominated by a different culture and then complain about it.  I like to think most Utahn Mormons don't mean any harm and want to be neighborly, but just don't know how out of fear of a culture clash, if anything.  Being a little assertive, friendly and proactive in fitting in would go a long way, rather than sitting around feeling excluded.

Of course, there is also the option of joining up altogether.  Go native!  :D

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

My vote is on Albuquerque.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

I have heard many nice things about Santa Fe, but a low cost of living isn't one of them.

US 89

Both of the places in UT mentioned on the original list are very Mormon, Ogden probably slightly less so. If you're not Mormon and don't want to be totally surrounded by Mormons, definitely do not move to a newer suburban area, anywhere in Utah County, or south Davis County.

However, Salt Lake City itself is surprisingly diverse. In fact, they are consistently rated one of the best places for LGBT people, whom Mormons generally dislike.

Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2017, 12:09:02 AM

That may be true for the city itself, but there is plenty of nice development going on in the nearby cities.

jakeroot

I've always had a soft spot for Colorado (several genetic ties to the state, besides the fact that I just like it). Of the three options, I'd choose what would probably be the most obvious: Colorado Springs. I've spent a lot of time in the Springs over the years. There's just so much stuff to do. Keep in mind that the Springs is radically more conservative/religious than Denver, but as long as you're at least open to the concept of religion, you'll be fine. I only mention this because I come from an area with very low religious adherence, so an area with lots of religious people can be quite the change, just in the way that you talk and interact with people.

Outside of Colorado, Boise would be my choice. Great climate (moderate winters, great summers, all four seasons), and affordable too. The geography is less than stunning, but economically, the city really has things together. It's a safe bet.

TheHighwayMan3561

Grand Junction gave me the impression of being kind of sketchy, but I also don't think I saw the actual downtown area.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

What do you like about Austin?  That seems like a fairly important question.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 14, 2017, 03:07:38 AM
Grand Junction gave me the impression of being kind of sketchy, but I also don't think I saw the actual downtown area.

It really isn't that bad, there are some industrial looking areas on US 50 but the demographics are pretty fair.  I've stayed there many times on trips over the years and I always felt pretty safe running the downtown area.

Rothman

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 14, 2017, 12:09:45 AM

However, Salt Lake City itself is surprisingly diverse. In fact, they are consistently rated one of the best places for LGBT people, whom Mormons generally dislike.

Although I have certainly come across irrational homophobia amongst my fellow Mormons, not all of us share that hatred and, in fact, speak out against it.  In fact, some years ago, President Gordon Hinckley, the leader of the Church gave a talk on our General Conference on how, despite the doctrine regarding homosexuality, hatred has no place in the Church.

That said, more recent church actions have been bizarrely swinging back and forth on the pendulum between working on anti-discrimination legislation and statements that come across as harsher towards the LGBTQ community.

Point is, generalizations are too broad to be true.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 07:07:33 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 14, 2017, 03:07:38 AM

It really isn't that bad, there are some industrial looking areas on US 50 but the demographics are pretty fair.  I've stayed there many times on trips over the years and I always felt pretty safe running the downtown area.

If South Park is anything to go by, the only bad part of Colorado is Denver's East Colfax.

SP Cook

It is oriented towards retirees (obviously) but I find the magazine "Where To Retire" and its website to be full of information.  They have a chart in every issue for comparing cost of living between places, and good articles on taxes, health care, transportation, and other things important to everybody.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2017, 10:01:52 AM

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 14, 2017, 12:09:45 AM

Although I have certainly come across irrational homophobia amongst my fellow Mormons, not all of us share that hatred and, in fact, speak out against it.  In fact, some years ago, President Gordon Hinckley, the leader of the Church gave a talk on our General Conference on how, despite the doctrine regarding homosexuality, hatred has no place in the Church.

That said, more recent church actions have been bizarrely swinging back and forth on the pendulum between working on anti-discrimination legislation and statements that come across as harsher towards the LGBTQ community.

Point is, generalizations are too broad to be true.

That's true. But Salt Lake City proper is less than half Mormon.

briantroutman

If the primary motivation for you move away from Austin is your wife's allergies, I think your first priority would be to visit an allergist and find what specifically she's reacting to. Then you will be in a much better position to draft a list of cities based on where that allergen is less prevalent–assuming that it's an outdoor allergen.

jakeroot

Quote from: briantroutman on June 14, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
If the primary motivation for you move away from Austin is your wife's allergies, I think your first priority would be to visit an allergist and find what specifically she's reacting to. Then you will be in a much better position to draft a list of cities based on where that allergen is less prevalent–assuming that it's an outdoor allergen.

Which reminds me. If your wife has pulmonary issues, Colorado is not a great place to reside. Your body will do its best to make up for the thinner oxygen, but those with weak lungs suffer.

texaskdog

Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2017, 12:09:02 AM
Mormon here; lived in Idaho for a couple of years and have had lengthy visits with family in Utah. 

Regarding discrimination against non-Mormons, it does still happen, but it is much better than it was years ago.  The reason for it is the "looking out for our own" kind of mentality and thinking that if someone is a good member that they are someone who can be trusted (which is only a hair's breadth from exploited, but Mormons exploiting Mormons is another topic altogether).  Remember, Mormons moved west to get away from non-Mormons that, in some cases, were killing them, so the distrust was handed down generation to generation.

Also be prepared to earn less, especially in Utah.  Employers are infamously stingy and land values are not the deal they were say back before the Olympics.

That all said, it is also simple bad manners to come into a community dominated by a different culture and then complain about it.  I like to think most Utahn Mormons don't mean any harm and want to be neighborly, but just don't know how out of fear of a culture clash, if anything.  Being a little assertive, friendly and proactive in fitting in would go a long way, rather than sitting around feeling excluded.

Of course, there is also the option of joining up altogether.  Go native!  :D

Oh believe me I could live amongst Mormons.  I'm just not a good job hunter to begin with like some people are, but likely our move will have to be where the offer comes from.  Religious beliefs aside (and everyone can believe what they wish), they are very nice people and I think I would enjoy living in Utah and you can't beat the scenery.

texaskdog

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 04:28:09 PM
If the primary motivation for you move away from Austin is your wife’s allergies, I think your first priority would be to visit an allergist and find what specifically she’s reacting to. Then you will be in a much better position to draft a list of cities based on where that allergen is less prevalent—assuming that it’s an outdoor allergen.

Which reminds me. If your wife has pulmonary issues, Colorado is not a great place to reside. Your body will do its best to make up for the thinner oxygen, but those with weak lungs suffer.

I have asthma lol.  I lived in Yellowstone for a summer and couldn't fall asleep without Nyquil.

texaskdog

If the primary motivation for you move away from Austin is your wife’s allergies, I think your first priority would be to visit an allergist and find what specifically she’s reacting to. Then you will be in a much better position to draft a list of cities based on where that allergen is less prevalent—assuming that it’s an outdoor allergen.

Very true she is taking shots now but it does not help with the mold.  She's allergic to everything!  Mainly trees though, which is why she likes the idea of living in the desert areas.

texaskdog

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 02:20:10 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Colorado (several genetic ties to the state, besides the fact that I just like it). Of the three options, I'd choose what would probably be the most obvious: Colorado Springs. I've spent a lot of time in the Springs over the years. There's just so much stuff to do. Keep in mind that the Springs is radically more conservative/religious than Denver, but as long as you're at least open to the concept of religion, you'll be fine. I only mention this because I come from an area with very low religious adherence, so an area with lots of religious people can be quite the change, just in the way that you talk and interact with people.

Outside of Colorado, Boise would be my choice. Great climate (moderate winters, great summers, all four seasons), and affordable too. The geography is less than stunning, but economically, the city really has things together. It's a safe bet.

As Scott asked what do I LIKE about Austin:  The scenery, it's a beautiful city, great hiking, nice people, it is in Texas (lol).  What do I HATE: Liberalism run amok.  I will say no more as to not polarize half of the posters but I'd really love to live in a red city (ironically in a blue state since I live in a blue city in a red state right now).  Which causes all my other dislikes...traffic is horrible, many roads are striped for 3 lanes for bikes, they are making the roads worse.  I've been calling 311 about bad stoplights etc and they tend to fix them (one at a time though).

US 89

Quote from: texaskdog on June 15, 2017, 12:49:23 AM
I'd really love to live in a red city (ironically in a blue state since I live in a blue city in a red state right now)

As jakeroot suggested above, Colorado Springs also fits this.

corco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2017, 07:52:14 PM
Boise is taking off right now so you might get in at a low price and make some money as the city grows.  My brother just moved there from Phoenix and he's loving it so far.  The weather is a little mix of everything, but overall pretty moderate. 

I moved back to Boise a year ago after living here from 1997-2003 (and having lived in WA/WY/AZ/MT in the interim years), and would echo it is an excellent all around place. It's safe, clean, decent weather, low cost of living, great access to the outdoors, inexpensive airport for the size of the city if you like to travel, good downtown with a decent culture, very nice people, a good mix of political views/lifestyles so you can fit in where you want, etc. Downtown Boise and the North End are quite liberal, but the surrounding areas (particularly Meridian/Eagle) are quite red, if that is what you fancy. But Boise is the closest you'll get to a "blue city in a red state" in Idaho, so keep that in mind.

Boise may not have a huge national park nearby, but the outdoor access and things to do outside in remote areas within 100 miles is almost impossible to beat. There's snow nearby, but it rarely snows in Boise in a way that causes the snow to stick for more than a day (this last freak winter excepted).

I've been to all the places on your list - overnighted in most of them, and Boise would be my pick without hesitation. Keep in mind taht I'm pretty blue though.

I'd consider the Springs if being in a red city is your top priority.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.