News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Adam West

Started by Stephane Dumas, June 12, 2017, 04:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

A couple of days after we lost Roger Moore as the Saint and James Bond, we lost another star legend. Adam West who performed Batman in the 1960s passed away on June 9.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15781598/adam-west-batman-tv-series-camp-dark-superhero-portrayal
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/appreciation-adam-west-a-campy-batman-who-was-joke-1012232

cjk374

I always likes the cheesy 60s series better than the dark movies.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

english si

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 12, 2017, 04:09:44 PMA couple of days after we lost Roger Moore as the Saint and James Bond
It was a couple of weeks ago. Sir Roger Moore briefly lived in my town (and went to my school for a short time to finish his education) at the end of WW2. My dad's old work colleague (retired about 20 years ago) was a little bit younger and lived nearby (next door?), and my dad relayed this story to me after being reminded the day after Sir Roger died by going past the road where he used to live:

One lunchtime when they had both gone home from school to have lunch, Roger came knocking on the door asking for help opening his safe. He was genuinely clueless at how to open his own safe, aged 18. Murray (my dad's old colleague) got the information off Roger to open it after a while, but Roger never learnt how to do it, despite having it explained repeatedly (and being bright enough to learn), and had to get help every time. Fast-forward 15 years, and Moore is cracking safes on TV as the Saint - and a few years later this one-time Bucks schoolboy broke into safes all the time as the most famous fictional Bucks schoolboy (Moore was pretty old when he played James Bond) and every time he did it on screen, Murray would laugh at this totally ridiculous thing - the idea of a diamond-powered space laser blowing up the world's nuclear weapons (OK, wrong Bond) was much less outlandish than Roger Moore opening a safe without help!

PS: Roger Moore = excellent James Bond character name.

roadman65

Holy Toledo, another legend gone from us.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ZLoth

From BoingBoing:

How Adam West played a prank using his local phone book
QuoteA few years back, I was in Sun Valley, Idaho for a conference. I learned Adam West lived in the area and I wondered if he was listed in the local phone book. So, I pulled it out of the nightstand in my hotel room and checked.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

US71

Los Angeles lights the Bat Signal to honor Adam West:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: US71 on June 16, 2017, 06:04:47 PM
Los Angeles lights the Bat Signal to honor Adam West:

It's ironic how they light the Bat Signal on the building featured in the opening credits of the old Superman TV show.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

I'm not seeing the irony.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 19, 2017, 01:56:06 PM
I'm not seeing the irony.
Maybe Joe Friday had a hand in this?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.