News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highway safety in the 1960s

Started by TXtoNJ, June 16, 2017, 04:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXtoNJ

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000017394611;view=1up;seq=1

Testimony relating to Interstate highway safety in the 1960s. Some fascinating insights into how things were done in those days, the reasoning behind hidden designations, the size of the map industry in those days (250 million printed in 1967!)

1995hoo

That document has shown up in several threads here over the years. Lots of interesting old photos, especially for people familiar with the DC-area Interstates. Worth a look for people who like old pictures. Insanely long document to try to read the whole thing, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TXtoNJ

Feel free to delete the thread, in that case. Tried to search for it, but came up short.

hm insulators

It was extremely cool to see the old pictures of the Los Angeles area in there. I guess I never realized that what is now I-110 (and once was California 11) used to be US 6 before the renumbering. In 1964, I would still have been pooing in my diapers. :D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.