News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Columbus road question--US Route 23 has exit signs?

Started by jecht, June 21, 2017, 11:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jecht

I noticed recently going north on 23 by Worthington to get to the 270 on-ramp it has "Exit 101" on a small exit sign sticking up from the ground.

On Google Maps I could not find it, but I found old overhead signs that said "Exit 23A-B" to 270 as of September 2007. Later versions have them removed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1090825,-83.0166845,3a,75y,354.67h,91.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfYUcpFQjfVFyvw_zp7myRg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Does anyone know why there are random exit #s of these roads to get ONTO the interstate?

thenetwork

Likely because there is a statewide push to list exit numbers for any state or US highway that is on a freeway or expressway -- regardless if it is on a short stretch of such or not. 

For some routes which follow long stretches of freeway/expressway-standard roads (SR-2, SR-11, US-30,...) it makes sense.  For routes that are nearly all undivided surface roads with at-grade crossings and use mileage markers based on the distance within the county (which reset at each new county it enters into), they can very confusing.

What ODOT should do is to ditch the individual black-on-white county-line mile markers and convert all state & US highways to the standard white-on-green mile markers based on the highway's overall mileage from it's origin within the state.

alecscradle

This was discussed in the Post about the construction work going on there.  If they're trying to implement this at all in Ohio there seems to have been no change in the past year on other US Routes.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7763.25

jecht

Quote from: thenetwork on June 22, 2017, 02:54:48 PM
Likely because there is a statewide push to list exit numbers for any state or US highway that is on a freeway or expressway -- regardless if it is on a short stretch of such or not. 

For some routes which follow long stretches of freeway/expressway-standard roads (SR-2, SR-11, US-30,...) it makes sense.  For routes that are nearly all undivided surface roads with at-grade crossings and use mileage markers based on the distance within the county (which reset at each new county it enters into), they can very confusing.

What ODOT should do is to ditch the individual black-on-white county-line mile markers and convert all state & US highways to the standard white-on-green mile markers based on the highway's overall mileage from it's origin within the state.

Thank you for explaining that!

Is this related to 2007? If you go onto Google Maps and find that location, but go back to Sept. 2007, it has the exit ramps too, but it uses the 270 exit mileage markers (but you're on 23!).

Buck87

That would be nice. I would imagine there are a lot of people that have no idea what those black on white signs refer too.

jecht

Quote from: Buck87 on June 23, 2017, 08:56:37 AM

That would be nice. I would imagine there are a lot of people that have no idea what those black on white signs refer too.

I agree on that. Also if you look at the 2007 photo it has Dayton as the control city. Anyone know why they listed the exit markers for 270 (while on 23?)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1090825,-83.0166845,3a,75y,354.67h,91.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfYUcpFQjfVFyvw_zp7myRg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

I don't have a file hosting service or whatnot but this is the pic.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jecht on June 22, 2017, 10:51:56 PM

Is this related to 2007? If you go onto Google Maps and find that location, but go back to Sept. 2007, it has the exit ramps too, but it uses the 270 exit mileage markers (but you're on 23!).
Back in the late 90s ODOT did exit numbers for several state freeway/expressways, but only did the exit number millage by the county.
Example A

Example B

US 23 at I-270 N is 23 miles north of the Franklin/Pickaway Co. line, thus exit 23.

Exit 23 stayed up till last year with the construction at 270 north, and now ODOT is going with a "new" statewide exit numbering system.
Now I have no explanation why 23 @ 270 N had an exit number and 23 @ 270 S did not have an exit number (or for that matter why none of the other expressways, 315, and both ends of US 33, 161, or 40 either)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jecht

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 27, 2017, 10:45:12 PM
Quote from: jecht on June 22, 2017, 10:51:56 PM

Back in the late 90s ODOT did exit numbers for several state freeway/expressways, but only did the exit number millage by the county.
Example A

Example B

US 23 at I-270 N is 23 miles north of the Franklin/Pickaway Co. line, thus exit 23.

Exit 23 stayed up till last year with the construction at 270 north, and now ODOT is going with a "new" statewide exit numbering system.
Now I have no explanation why 23 @ 270 N had an exit number and 23 @ 270 S did not have an exit number (or for that matter why none of the other expressways, 315, and both ends of US 33, 161, or 40 either)

Thank you! ODOT Dist. 6 PIOs only said that may have been in the state manual in 2007. I asked them to ask if maybe they knew someone there in '07 and never heard back. They aren't road geeks like us though.

Weird that 23 would have 270's exit mileage on its pathway! The current system makes more sense (Exit 101 is the 101st mile of 23 in Ohio).
Josh

GCrites

If you look on GSV, the OH-550 exit was still like that in 2015. I wonder if the Nelsonville Bypass opening during 2015 forced a renumbering of that exit. Otherwise you have a huge jump in exit numbers in only 10 miles or so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.