News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 12 Baraboo Bypass

Started by US 12 fan, June 23, 2017, 11:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on July 09, 2017, 07:17:42 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 28, 2017, 09:23:22 AM
It would be best to identify now what r/w they will need for an eventual upgrade of the remaining two lane portion and the future Sauk City bypass.  Particularly east of the WI River where there's bound to be more property impacts.

I imagine the bridging over the river and its large floodplain will be quite lengthy.  Some of the land potentially impacted by a Sauk City bypass is part of the Lower Wisconsin River State Wildlife Area.  More bridging will reduce those impacts somewhat, but I assume there will still be contention over it.

Check out the Sauk City Comprehensive Land Use Plan.  They already have a corridor mapped for the bypass.

But WisDOT will still have to conduct a study to see if that is a feasible route. Just because Sauk City mapped it, doesn't mean it will go there. It will be interesting to see what they ultimately do. This will be the next big project on the US 12 corridor between Madison and the Dells since it is the last two-lane segment on the route.

rte66man

Quote from: I-39 on July 09, 2017, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on July 09, 2017, 07:17:42 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 28, 2017, 09:23:22 AM
It would be best to identify now what r/w they will need for an eventual upgrade of the remaining two lane portion and the future Sauk City bypass.  Particularly east of the WI River where there's bound to be more property impacts.

I imagine the bridging over the river and its large floodplain will be quite lengthy.  Some of the land potentially impacted by a Sauk City bypass is part of the Lower Wisconsin River State Wildlife Area.  More bridging will reduce those impacts somewhat, but I assume there will still be contention over it.

Check out the Sauk City Comprehensive Land Use Plan.  They already have a corridor mapped for the bypass.

But WisDOT will still have to conduct a study to see if that is a feasible route. Just because Sauk City mapped it, doesn't mean it will go there. It will be interesting to see what they ultimately do. This will be the next big project on the US 12 corridor between Madison and the Dells since it is the last two-lane segment on the route.

Link to map being discussed:
http://www.prairiedusac.net/vertical/sites/%7B9B4AD25B-1470-4128-8A1E-0DB407531D87%7D/uploads/Highway_12_PF_Airport_Area_Plan_Adopted_6_26_12_small.pdf
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

This is a very interesting plan. The mapped US 12 bypass is a lot closer to the existing alignment (Philips Blvd. segment) than I pictured it would be. I expected it to be further south, like south of even the existing 12/188 intersection. I'm still not sure how likely a US 12 Sauk City bypass is to be constructed, even after the existing expiration date of 2020. Time will tell!

dcharlie

I grew up in that area.  I can remember seeing some other proposals.  One had Hwy 12 turning east roughly where County Hwy Z meets up with it crossing the river roughly where the Culvers Headquarters is located in Prairie du Sac and roughly following 188 to meet up with 12 again.  The other one, was similar to the proposal shown in the plan except it continued farther south to roughly to County Hwy Y and met up with 12 near that intersection.  Due to the terrain, those are really the only 3 practical proposals possible.  As it is, a large amount of bluff will need to be removed to make the current proposal work.

US 12 fan

I looked at that plan. I heard about a US 12 Sauk City bypass but I did not realize they were suggesting that either Hwy 60 or 78 or both be rerouted. I take it they would make it like the Whitewater bypass and the Burlington bypass where there are no major highways going through through those cities but instead just county highways and business highways.

GeekJedi

Went through the area again yesterday, this time through the south side. Looks like there is still plenty of work to be done right at where the bypass and the current route meet. They're still grading and doing other work for the new lanes and the intersection that will connect the bypass with the current route.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

I-39

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 12, 2017, 12:41:54 PM
Went through the area again yesterday, this time through the south side. Looks like there is still plenty of work to be done right at where the bypass and the current route meet. They're still grading and doing other work for the new lanes and the intersection that will connect the bypass with the current route.

I heard they wanted everything done by September. Will they still be able to meet that deadline?

GeekJedi

Quote from: I-39 on July 12, 2017, 09:36:42 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on July 12, 2017, 12:41:54 PM

I heard they wanted everything done by September. Will they still be able to meet that deadline?

They should be completed enough to open it. Everything is done, save for the connecting pavement and interchange, and a mile or so of concrete to finish the four-lane from the Bypass to the existing four-lane south of Ski Hi Rd. That section already has some new concrete, so it's well on it's way.

US 12 fan

When this bypass is finished, are they going to raise the speed limit? I know it is 55 mph right now.

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure they will raise the speed limit. Probably to 65 or 70 MPH.

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 14, 2017, 03:42:52 PM

70 may be a bit too much for a non-interstate (in the eyes of WisDOT), probably 65 on the freeway segment.

GeekJedi

The entire section from Madison to Sauk City is 55, as is the section north of Baraboo into the Dells. I predict that the entire length will stay at 55 to match.

mgk920

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:02:31 PM

70 may be a bit too much for a non-interstate (in the eyes of WisDOT), probably 65 on the freeway segment.

There are non-interstates in Wisconsin with that higher limit.  Ie, the freeway part of WI 54/57 in Green Bay.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on July 14, 2017, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:02:31 PM

The 55 limit was part of the bargain to get the Madison to Sauk City work done, so I doubt that will change. If that doesn't (and the fact that the Baraboo to Dells segment is 55), I don't see them going to 65 or 70. Just my slightly educated opinion though.

There are non-interstates in Wisconsin with that higher limit.  Ie, the freeway part of WI 54/57 in Green Bay.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

And yet it is still missing from Google Maps (No surprise).

US 12 fan

I noticed that they are going to raise the speed limit to 65 mph.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: US 12 fan on July 18, 2017, 04:39:52 PM

Source?
Or have you spied the signage on the unopened section?

65 is a reasonable SL for this facility north of Bluffview (the trailer park across from the old ammo plant).
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dcharlie

You can see a sign in the picture on the article link.

GeekJedi

I'm pleasantly surprised by the 65MPH limit! I'm assuming that they'll be upping the limit north of Baraboo as well(?).

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: US 12 fan on July 18, 2017, 04:39:52 PM

Good catch from the linked photo.  I'm surprised to see the higher limit.  I wonder if it will extend southerly to end of the four-lane section at County Trunk Z once the S curve is rebuilt next year. 

US 12 fan

I understand that Hwy 159 is eventually going to become an extension of Hwy 136. Have they put up new signs for that yet? Or are they going to wait until next year when they replace the old road? I know that the new bypass is going to be partially open this upcoming week.

GeekJedi

Quote from: US 12 fan on July 30, 2017, 09:57:16 AM
I understand that Hwy 159 is eventually going to become an extension of Hwy 136. Have they put up new signs for that yet? Or are they going to wait until next year when they replace the old road? I know that the new bypass is going to be partially open this upcoming week.

The signs are up, but they're covered. Not sure what the plan is yet.

US 12 fan

GeekJedi

Quote from: US 12 fan on July 30, 2017, 02:50:34 PM
Any pictures of those?

If you look at my pics on the first page, you can see the new sign showing 136 turning SB at US-12. I passed through there on Friday (NB on 12 from Sauk City to Baraboo) and saw the new signs covered up, but didn't get a pic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.