News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SONGS You Have Clinched...

Started by thenetwork, July 03, 2017, 01:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Through the years, there have been songs across many musical genres with titles containing routes, specific places and cities. 

Which song titles have you "clinched"?  I'll start with 2:

"Dead Man's Curve"/Jan & Dean -- This song specifically mentions a sharp curve of Sunset Boulevard in Beverly Hills, CA.  To clinch this song it has to be this specific curve.

"Wolf Creek Pass"/C.W McCall -- US-160 between South Fork and Pagosa Springs, CO.

Others???

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

"Highway 61 Revisited" - I clinched current US 61 in 2015, along with its historic Minnesota segments in the years prior.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

davewiecking

I would say that only a current or former resident of the Windy City could clinch "Sweet Home Chicago".

jp the roadgeek

To paraphrase Sweet Baby James, I've clinched the Turnpike from Stockbridge to (Downtown) Boston

From Born to Run: I've clinched Highway 9 (in CT), only parts of US 9 in NJ and NY.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brian556

Songs that one could clinch:
Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot
Ventura Highway - America

Big John

How about Lake Shore Drive by Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah?

Roadgeek2500

Does "On the Way to Cape May" by Al Alberts require clinching the whole Garden State Parkway?

On second thought, the song starts in Ocean City so all you'd have to do is clinch Ocean Drive from OC down to Cape May.
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

hm insulators

Of course "Get Your Kicks on Route 66" has to be the most famous highway-related song title.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

empirestate

If anyone has clinched "I've Been Everywhere (Man)", you win the Internet.

iPhone

plain

"85" by the Youngbloodz. They were naturally talking about the Atlanta segment but I clinched the whole thing  :bigass:
Newark born, Richmond bred

national highway 1

I haven't actually clinched this one, but this is definitely one of the songs in my Music library.
Pacific Coast Highway by Kavinsky
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

plain

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 13, 2017, 01:23:21 AM
I haven't actually clinched this one, but this is definitely one of the songs in my Music library.

I almost forgot about the PCH. There's a song I like called "California 1" by Con Funk Shun. I wonder if anyone on here clinched that road (I've never been to the west coast myself)

thenetwork

Quote from: plain on July 13, 2017, 02:00:39 AM

I almost forgot about the PCH. There's a song I like called "California 1" by Con Funk Shun. I wonder if anyone on here clinched that road (I've never been to the west coast myself)

Speaking of potential west-coast clinches:  (US) "Route 101" by Herb Alpert.

Others I thought of, but haven't clinched:

"Route 66" -- Various
"Nutbush (TN) City Limits" (US-19) -- Tina Turner, Bob Seger
"On Broadway" (NYC) -- The Drifters, George Benson

plain

Quote from: thenetwork on July 13, 2017, 11:37:41 AM

I just realized I'm missing Broadway below 28th St  :-o I gotta try to remember it the next time I'm there

empirestate

Quote from: plain on July 13, 2017, 11:59:27 AM

I just realized I'm missing Broadway below 28th St  :-o I gotta try to remember it the next time I'm there

Speaking of Broadway, I have definitely clinched "Give My Regards To Broadway".

iPhone

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Desert Man

Quote from: Brian556 on July 04, 2017, 01:47:55 AM
Songs that one could clinch:

Ventura Highway - America

Part of the route (US 101) is freeway in the 1970s (San Fernando valley, L.A.), part of it was then rural stretch of highway between Thousand Oaks and Ventura/Oxnard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjgCqbPGq2A
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

mrsman

Quote from: plain on July 13, 2017, 02:00:39 AM

Speaking of potential west-coast clinches:  (US) "Route 101" by Herb Alpert.

Others I thought of, but haven't clinched:

"Route 66" -- Various
"Nutbush (TN) City Limits" (US-19) -- Tina Turner, Bob Seger

"I love LA" by Randy Newman lists several streets in LA (Imperial Highway, Victory Blvd, 6th street, and others)
"All I wanna do" by Cheryl Crowe would require clinching Santa Monica Blvd

And I believe to clinch "dead man's curve" you have to do more than just drive the curve on the west end of Beverly Hills.  You should at least drive from Sunset/Vine to the curve, but ideally clinch all of Sunset from Union Station (including the parts now known as Cesar Chavez) to PCH.

roadman

Not a song, but back in 1984 when my brother and I were in Los Angeles, we drove around doing the "Firesign Theater Tour", checking out locations like Big Tajounga Canyon and Mullhollan Drive, the Antelope (Valley) Freeway, and streets like Pico and Alverez that were used as character names in some of their skits.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.