News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Foreign cars spotted in USA/Canada

Started by jakeroot, July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Pardon me if such a thread exists already. Didn't see one while searching for a place to put the following images.

Have you ever seen a vehicle that was never sold in the US or Canada, but was still wearing its original plates (because it was simply being driven for holiday purposes)? For example, maybe you saw an Audi cruising around LA with GB plates, or maybe a caravan/RV with French plates? Perhaps even a Land Rover with Dutch plates? (I have seen all three of these, for what it's worth -- obviously I don't have any photos).

Realistically, cars from Mexico are kind of what I have in mind. Something like a VW Polo or Seat Ibiza would be awesome finds.

While at WalMart today (location south of Seattle), I spotted a Nissan Kicks with Chihuahua plates. Immediately, I thought it was a Juke, with some modded lights and a new badge. But I quickly realized that it was a non-Anglo vehicle based on the licence plate (Mexico) and that it had whited-out headlamps.

JJBers

Does Montana count?
Then that's the most foreign plate I've seen.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

jakeroot

Quote from: JJBers on July 05, 2017, 02:14:06 AM
Does Montana count?
Then that's the most foreign plate I've seen.

Unless you're being facetious, no.

ghYHZ

Yes.... European plated vehicles (with the European Union Symbol) from St. Pierre-Miquelon......shown here on the dock in Fortune, Newfoundland.

https://goo.gl/maps/Bcg1xwTJfHo

I live along the Trans Canada in Nova Scotia and have spotted SPM plated vehicle passing through on the highway and also at our local McDonalds.

Vehicles are currently barged he 25 miles over to Newfoundland but a new ferry service begin this year..... so I imagine there will more spotted and also the opportunity to drive over to France for the day!   

AlexandriaVA

If you stay on a major road inside the Beltway for more than 10 minutes, you'll likely come across US State Department plates for diplomatic/staff/consular/etc. What's fun is that you can tell the car's diplmoatic status based on the leading letter of the plate (D= Diplomatic, with the Vienna Convention protections...S= Staff, etc) However they're a dime a dozen around here really.

NATO tags are more rare but easy to see around military bases where officers from NATO countries work at. Occasionally you'll see an un-plated foreign VIP car (e.g. like when the United States sends the presidential limosuine abroad in advance of a US president's visit to said country).

Max Rockatansky

When I lived in Scottsdale it wasn't an uncommon sight. Thing is towards the time I moved it became more of rarity simply because most automakers started to share platforms across global regions.  Probably the coolest was an older Holden Monaro that used to show to the Pavillions Car Show with Australian plates on it.  The Scottsdale Cars and Coffee was a good place spot European stuff not offered here with original plates.

epzik8

I saw a car with a Yucatan (Mexico) license plate once in my grocery store's parking lot on the Maryland/Pennsylvania border.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bing101

I seen some EU plates in Vallejo but that's because they were making gas stops from prior to other places this car really was planning to go to.

SP Cook

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 05, 2017, 08:32:48 AM
If you stay on a major road inside the Beltway for more than 10 minutes, you'll likely come across US State Department plates for diplomatic/staff/consular/etc. What's fun is that you can tell the car's diplmoatic status based on the leading letter of the plate (D= Diplomatic, with the Vienna Convention protections...S= Staff, etc) However they're a dime a dozen around here really.

You can also tell the country or orginization from the following two letter code, which they purposefully use random letters, so the average Joe cannot target a diplomat's car (i.e. the UK is WZ, not UK or GB; Panama is AJ, rather than PA or PN).  Although you can look the codes up easily.

The codes date from Reagan's time, the Soviet Union was given FC, apparently meaning "F***ing Communists".  (Today Russia is YR). 

You would know better than I, but it seems that most cars with diplomatic plates around DC are US spec models obtained locally, often even having a dealer's frame around the plate or a sticker from the dealer on the trunk lid.  However, the USA seems to want American diplomats overseas to drive "American" cars, shipping its employees' cars all over the world and back at great expense, even to places where such cars are inapproprate (too big, road system not devloped, EPA mandated fuels not available, no parts, keep left, etc). 

Anyway, very occasionally I see a Mexican spec car with Mexican plates around here.  I don't think I have ever seen anything more exotic than that.  The people across the steet from my daughter have a Mexican VW pickup, but it has KY plates.  How you get US plates for a car that is not sold here, especially one subject to the Chicken Tax, I don't know.

jakeroot

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 05, 2017, 03:18:09 AM
Yes.... European plated vehicles (with the European Union Symbol) from St. Pierre-Miquelon......shown here on the dock in Fortune, Newfoundland.

I live along the Trans Canada in Nova Scotia and have spotted SPM plated vehicle passing through on the highway and also at our local McDonalds.

SPM has to be one of the oddest situations in North America. It's literally a slice of France right in the maritimes.

I've checked street view of SPM before, to see all the French cars you can't get in North America (anymore at least). And the normal European plate...it's awesome.

Vehicles are currently barged he 25 miles over to Newfoundland but a new ferry service begin this year..... so I imagine there will more spotted and also the opportunity to drive over to France for the day!

Let's hope it gets used enough that they don't can the service. I'd love to have a drive over there at some point. Looks like a few fun roads. Nevermind all the European car spotting.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: SP Cook on July 05, 2017, 01:01:35 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 05, 2017, 08:32:48 AM

You would know better than I, but it seems that most cars with diplomatic plates around DC are US spec models obtained locally, often even having a dealer's frame around the plate or a sticker from the dealer on the trunk lid.  However, the USA seems to want American diplomats overseas to drive "American" cars, shipping its employees' cars all over the world and back at great expense, even to places where such cars are inapproprate (too big, road system not devloped, EPA mandated fuels not available, no parts, keep left, etc). 

Obviously most countries don't even have a domestic automobile industry to speak of. Obviously in today's economy, dividing lines are often tricky: if the German embassy buy a fleet of BMWs produced in Kentucky from a dealership in Northern Virginia, was that a "domestic" order?

Not just the diplomatic corps; the American taxpayer pays a hefy price for shipments of automobiles owned by members of the military. I think part of it stems from the fact that those careers involve frequent moves over long distances (including abroad), and that it is not good to have your workforce concerned about sales and purchases of cars every 2-3 years.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 05, 2017, 11:40:38 AM
When I lived in Scottsdale it wasn't an uncommon sight. Thing is towards the time I moved it became more of rarity simply because most automakers started to share platforms across global regions.  Probably the coolest was an older Holden Monaro that used to show to the Pavillions Car Show with Australian plates on it.  The Scottsdale Cars and Coffee was a good place spot European stuff not offered here with original plates.

Seeing a real Holden reminds me of all the fakes ones I see. The Chevy SS's rebadged as Holden's? They're pretty common in Seattle. Pretty cheap modification to get a unique car. I actually don't mind it.

I was thinking when I wrote this post that the Southwest would be a gold mine for foreign car spotting, since Mexico gets quite a few (nigh, a lot more) cars that we don't (although we have quite a few cars that they don't have, but that's not the point).

I spotted a new Ford Ranger back in 2014 on I-10 in Texas. It was bright blue. I had forgotten that they still sold the Ranger in Mexico, so for a short while, I thought I had spotted some manufacturer-plated testing vehicle.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on July 05, 2017, 03:01:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 05, 2017, 11:40:38 AM

Seeing a real Holden reminds me of all the fakes ones I see. The Chevy SS's rebadged as Holden's? They're pretty common in Seattle. Pretty cheap modification to get a unique car. I actually don't mind it.

I was thinking when I wrote this post that the Southwest would be a gold mine for foreign car spotting, since Mexico gets quite a few (nigh, a lot more) cars that we don't (although we have quite a few cars that they don't have, but that's not the point).

I spotted a new Ford Ranger back in 2014 on I-10 in Texas. It was bright blue. I had forgotten that they still sold the Ranger in Mexico, so for a short while, I thought I had spotted some manufacturer-plated testing vehicle.

Yeah my Uncle has an SS and it is essentially a four door version of my Gen 5 Camaro, the Zeta platform has a really obvious feel to it.  Even the V-Body GTO had a really similar feel to the Zeta cars.  For what it's worth the G8/SS rebadging worked out way better styling wise than the GTO even did.  Really that was the start of the era of true global platform sharing with minimal rebadging. 

Most of the stuff that was recognizable was the really obvious Asian, Austrialia, and European stuff in the wealthy areas of Phoenix.  It wasn't uncommon to see a Ranger or even a VW Bug with foreign plates but unless it was something like manufacturer deal it would be hard to spot if it was truly a foreign year only.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 AM
Realistically, cars from Mexico are kind of what I have in mind. Something like a VW Polo or Seat Ibiza would be awesome finds.

Here's the most exotic plate I could find in America: Bahrain...spotted in a garage in Southern California.

Have a SEAT:

Here's a Chevy (Opel) Corsa:

Current-gen Nissan March - I've seen these in Vermont with Canadian plates - but this is in Brownsville, Texas:

(probably more to follow later on)

Spotted a Volkswagen Gol once, but didn't have a camera ready. Never saw a Polo in the flesh.

Hang around Texas much, and you'll find Mexican plates aren't terribly rare. But I do enjoy seeing these "exotics", as they can be as rare as many supercars in the US.

corco

Not quite the subject of this thread, but I was in Eugene, Oregon back in May and saw this:

It's a Mexican market Dodge (Hyundai) Atos with Oregon plates! I have no idea how that one snuck by the DMV - it's completely not street legal to register in the United States. Pardon the bad picture - I was driving by it and grabbed my camera as I realized what I was seeing.

briantroutman

Quote from: corco on July 05, 2017, 05:04:46 PM
It's a Mexican market Dodge (Hyundai) Atos with Oregon plates!

The picture isn't terribly sharp, but that looks like the Hyundai H emblem on the front. So for the rebadged "Dodge" , they don't even do so much as hastily slap on a Dodge nameplate? That has to be a new low for laziness in badge engineering.

Road Hog

Mexico probably shouldn't count as I see a Mexican license plate probably every other day, no big deal.

I am interested by the foreign models that turn up here, however. To import a foreign car and upgrade it to U.S. specs must cost an arm and a leg.

Takumi

Anyone seen a Renault (Dacia) Sandero? Just for the Top Gear reference.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 05, 2017, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 AM

Here's the most exotic plate I could find in America: Bahrain...spotted in a garage in Southern California.
img

Have a SEAT:
img

Here's a Chevy (Opel) Corsa:
img

Current-gen Nissan March - I've seen these in Vermont with Canadian plates - but this is in Brownsville, Texas:
img

Spotted a Volkswagen Gol once, but didn't have a camera ready. Never saw a Polo in the flesh.

Hang around Texas much, and you'll find Mexican plates aren't terribly rare. But I do enjoy seeing these "exotics", as they can be as rare as many supercars in the US.

Nice! Great finds. The foreign, not-sold-in-USA "exotic" nature is exactly why I find them so interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love spotting something like a Touareg with the V10 TDI or an LFA, but these are cars that were sold in the US that I could, with the right amount of money, acquire legally regardless of age. That Ibiza or that March -- I couldn't legally ever own one, short of moving to Mexico. They aren't rare enough for the show-or-display law, nor old enough for the 25-year limit.

Not quite the subject of this thread, but I was in Eugene, Oregon back in May and saw this:

http://www.corcohighways.org/dodgeatosoregon.jpg

It's a Mexican market Dodge (Hyundai) Atos with Oregon plates! I have no idea how that one snuck by the DMV - it's completely not street legal to register in the United States. Pardon the bad picture - I was driving by it and grabbed my camera as I realized what I was seeing.

I should probably specify: cars that somehow squeaked by the DMV approval process, and are now registered here (even though they shouldn't be) do apply for this thread.

I'm not really sure what's going on in your image, but it looks like it's holding up traffic. Top speed of that thing looks to be about 20! :-D

I've actually seem something equally odd (although it was a far more "legal" vehicle due to similar Canadian regulations). A Mercedes B200 (W245) with California plates. The guy told me that he bought the car in Victoria, BC, and then paid some RI in California to bring it in for him. He wasn't very specific on the whole process, but it didn't sound legal to me...

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on July 05, 2017, 06:54:43 PM
Anyone seen a Renault (Dacia) Sandero? Just for the Top Gear reference.

It doesn't strcitly count, but in that Saint Pierre and Miquelon Street View link upthread, there's a Dacia Sandero right in the image. All he has to do is cross the water, and it'd count for this thread...

Quote from: Road Hog on July 05, 2017, 06:35:51 PM
Mexico probably shouldn't count as I see a Mexican license plate probably every other day, no big deal.

I was suggesting Mexico because I wanted newer cars that weren't sold in the USA or Canada. For example (as it relates to the comment above), the only legal way to spot a "Sandero" in the US is to either spot a Dacia with Saint Pierre and Miquelon (French) plates, or a Renault with Mexican plates. (Or, either of two with any foreign plate, imported by a diplomat, or, a foreigner who is on holiday in the US, and isn't keeping the car here).

corco

Quote from: jakeroot on July 05, 2017, 07:32:15 PM

I've actually seem something equally odd (although it was a far more "legal" vehicle due to similar Canadian regulations). A Mercedes B200 (W245) with California plates. The guy told me that he bought the car in Victoria, BC, and then paid some RI in California to bring it in for him. He wasn't very specific on the whole process, but it didn't sound legal to me...

The B-Class was actually crash tested and certified for registration in the United States! Mercedes was considering actually selling it here and opted not to at the last minute (but I believe this only applies to 2006 Mercedes B-Classes).

corco

Quote from: briantroutman on July 05, 2017, 05:18:53 PM

The picture isn’t terribly sharp, but that looks like the Hyundai H emblem on the front. So for the rebadged “Dodge”, they don’t even do so much as hastily slap on a Dodge nameplate? That has to be a new low for laziness in badge engineering.

Yes. Many Dodge-badged Hyundais retained even the Hyundai logo and hubcaps. The only thing that made them different was a Dodge or "by Dodge" nameplate on the back.

For reference (not photographed in America), this is the final Hyundai-based Dodge Attitude

jakeroot

Quote from: corco on July 05, 2017, 07:46:56 PM

http://i.imgur.com/eqOE9d4.jpg

The B-Class was actually crash tested and certified for registration in the United States! Mercedes was considering actually selling it here and opted not to at the last minute (but I believe this only applies to 2006 Mercedes B-Classes).

Oh nice! That makes sense. I still have yet to see more than just that one (in Tacoma).

Quote from: corco on July 05, 2017, 07:47:51 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on July 05, 2017, 05:18:53 PM

The picture isn't terribly sharp, but that looks like the Hyundai H emblem on the front. So for the rebadged "Dodge" , they don't even do so much as hastily slap on a Dodge nameplate? That has to be a new low for laziness in badge engineering.

Yes. Many Dodge-badged Hyundais retained even the Hyundai logo and hubcaps. The only thing that made them different was a Dodge or "by Dodge" nameplate on the back.

For reference (not photographed in America), this is the final Hyundai-based Dodge Attitude

img's

Holy crap! That's hilarious! I've never seen anything like that.

Looks like some older versions and some of the newer version had the "correct" RAM logo. The New Attitude, based on the Mirage, has the correct grill.

Takumi

Quote from: corco on July 05, 2017, 07:46:56 PM

I believe there's an electric version of the B-class that was sold in California for a couple years.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

QuoteLooks like some older versions and some of the newer version had the "correct" RAM logo. The New Attitude, based on the Mirage, has the correct grill.

Yep, though you'll note the hubcaps still have the Hyundai H, as does the steering wheel! The Miragittude is properly Dodged up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.