News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pc or mac?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 21, 2017, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

Pc
14 (63.6%)
Mac
8 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

US71

I prefer PC, but I have my dad's 6 y/o iMac I use when my computer is in the shop. I don't like it much.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2017, 09:22:59 PM
I prefer PC, but I have my dad's 6 y/o iMac I use when my computer is in the shop. I don't like it much.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've always maintained that Mac's last longer, in the hands of the everyday consumers, than Windows-machines. But even your everyday-Mac has it's lifespan. Unless your father upgraded the machine lately, it's probably no fun to use because it's probably pretty slow? My mother has an iMac that she uses very sparingly. Mostly because it's terribly slow and slightly out of date: it was purchased in 2006. It has so far outlasted every other computer my parents have ever owned, but it's just about dead.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2017, 03:57:28 PM

I've always maintained that Mac's last longer, in the hands of the everyday consumers, than Windows-machines. But even your everyday-Mac has it's lifespan. Unless your father upgraded the machine lately, it's probably no fun to use because it's probably pretty slow? My mother has an iMac that she uses very sparingly. Mostly because it's terribly slow and slightly out of date: it was purchased in 2006. It has so far outlasted every other computer my parents have ever owned, but it's just about dead.

This Mac was bought in August 2011. I just upgraded the OS over the weekend because all the software was out of date. Still a pain to use.

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2017, 04:40:46 PM

This Mac was bought in August 2011. I just upgraded the OS over the weekend because all the software was out of date. Still a pain to use.

Over the years, I've found that upgrading the OS does not actually help speed things up. In fact, it seems to exacerbate any speed issues. Keeping other software up to date is fine, but the OS seems to work best if it's only a couple years newer than the Mac itself

What do you mean "pain to use"?

JJBers

Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2017, 05:10:16 PM

Over the years, I've found that upgrading the OS does not actually help speed things up. In fact, it seems to exacerbate any speed issues. Keeping other software up to date is fine, but the OS seems to work best if it's only a couple years newer than the Mac itself

Probably means s l o w
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

cu2010

I'm not a fan of Apple products in general, so Windows for me. Can't really do much gaming on a Mac anyways.

Currently on a Windows 10 machine that I built myself last year; this machine is designed to last a decade with necessary updates/hardware upgrades. My old Windows 7 laptop- which had been largely replaced by this machine last year- finally got retired for good when the screen literally broke off two months ago. Will probably buy a new laptop eventually, but since I'm cheap, it won't be fancy.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

US71

Difficult to save photos, crop/edit photos, new windows keep opening when I'm using another. With the upgrade, I was finally able to use my printer/scanner, but I lost some of the files my dad had saved, but they were from an even older Mac, so I don't know how valuable they were.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2017, 07:41:33 PM

Difficult to save photos, crop/edit photos, new windows keep opening when I'm using another. With the upgrade, I was finally able to use my printer/scanner, but I lost some of the files my dad had saved, but they were from an even older Mac, so I don't know how valuable they were.
As opposed to my 4 year old HP running Mint 18.2, which is fast enough,  and handles heavy photo and video editing with ease.

STV100-2

doorknob60

Quote from: JJBers on July 21, 2017, 11:33:30 PM
You mean Windows vs. Macintosh
PC = Personal Computer

Thank you!

And if the question is "Windows or MacOS", then my answer is "no". I use Linux.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.