News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cars Suck Up Data About You. Where Does It All Go?

Started by cpzilliacus, July 29, 2017, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Cars Suck Up Data About You. Where Does It All Go?

QuoteCars have become rolling listening posts. They can track phone calls and texts, log queries to websites, record what radio stations you listen to – even tell you when you are breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit.

QuoteAutomakers, local governments, retailers, insurers and tech companies are eager to leverage this information, especially as cars transform from computers on wheels into something more like self-driving shuttles. And they want to tap into even more data, including what your car's video cameras see as you travel down a street.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 29, 2017, 04:45:59 PM
N.Y. Times: Cars Suck Up Data About You. Where Does It All Go?

QuoteCars have become rolling listening posts. They can track phone calls and texts, log queries to websites, record what radio stations you listen to – even tell you when you are breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit.

QuoteAutomakers, local governments, retailers, insurers and tech companies are eager to leverage this information, especially as cars transform from computers on wheels into something more like self-driving shuttles. And they want to tap into even more data, including what your car's video cameras see as you travel down a street.

Makes me even happier that I drive older cars.  :nod: :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

Ironically, when you visit the NY Times website, it probably sucks up the same data about you from the device you're using.

SSOWorld

Your ISP sucks up as much if not more data as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bing101

Deep web seems to be the final place where all info goes to.

Max Rockatansky

Wherever it goes it seems to think that I still live in Florida for whatever reason.  Somehow the dealers I bought both cars from have my current address even though I never gave it to them.

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 31, 2017, 05:02:34 PM
Wherever it goes it seems to think that I still live in Florida for whatever reason.  Somehow the dealers I bought both cars from have my current address even though I never gave it to them.
You may have not given them your current address, but the Post Office probably did.  I presume you requested a forwarding order before moving.  I still get stuff that's addressed to my father at my current residence, even though I moved out of my parent's house over 25 years ago.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on August 01, 2017, 12:15:24 PM
You may have not given them your current address, but the Post Office probably did.  I presume you requested a forwarding order before moving.  I still get stuff that's addressed to my father at my current residence, even though I moved out of my parent's house over 25 years ago.

Could be but the thing is that it has never happened previously and it is only with the two dealerships I got those cars from.  I find it amusing that they would even bother sending me service coupons when it would be about a 2,400 drive to get to them.

kalvado

If you set up forwarding with USPS, it initiates many updates to databases. I believe using those USPS is one of requirements to get mass mailing discount..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.