News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

most "dangerous" city you've been to?

Started by CapeCodder, August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTM Duke

I can't say I've ever felt truly in danger behind the wheel (if things seem sketchy, I become cautious to the point of paranoia), but there was one time that I truly felt I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I had plans to clinch US-1 north to Fort Kent, which meant driving through Baltimore.  Outside of the traffic, it was uneventful, until I hit the Fulton Ave corridor.  As I approached the US-40 interchange, the only vehicle on an increasingly desolate road, it turned into a surreal experience, a live-action end-of-the-world-survivor movie.  While stopped at a red light (for what?), a homeless individual started moving in the direction of my car.  I admittedly freaked out a bit, and booked it one the light turned green.  After the experience, this stretch of US-1 went down on my list of roads not to be driven again.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 05, 2017, 12:27:42 AM
I almost completely forgot about Desert Hot Springs or as many refer to it as "DHS."  DHS is a city a couple miles north of Palm Springs near the junction of I-10 and CA 62.  I once had to close a business out there because the city was so crime ridden that it was literally impossible to pull a profit.  There was all sorts of rumors (which I have no idea if they are true) that Los Angeles County would give the city of DHS money to house felons in halfway houses.  Apparently the windmills that bled onto Dillon Road were known locally as the "Windmill Graveyard" because bodies would be found out there dumped in the desert with alarming frequency. 

When I was living in Portland back in the mid-90's, Clackamas County -- particularly the "hill country" around Estacada -- had a reputation as the "meth lab" capitol of the Northwest; an acquaintance at PSU suggested that at least a quarter of the mobile homes scattered around that area were meth lab sites.  When I relocated to the I.E. in 2004 -- and occasionally had to go out in the field for business -- I was informed by colleagues to avoid DHS like the plague unless I were to have a gun with me; the reason was the multitude of meth labs in the area, accompanied by often violent confrontations among the participants in that activity.   Fortunately, I only needed to go out there a few (IIRC, less than 4) times in the 6 years I ran our Ontario office.  One of the times I accompanied one of our delivery drivers (I went along to make sure some papers got signed correctly) -- this guy was 6-9 and went 325 pounds -- and even he had serious reservations about delivering our load (a mainframe plus all the internal components) to anywhere in that town.  We stopped by my home in Redlands en route, and I snagged one of my 9mm autos (the Taurus, IIRC) and stashed it under the truck seat -- just in case.  This was back in 2005 during the housing boom; we were delivering to a new title-company office.  Luckily it was early spring and not excruciatingly hot in the desert, since I remained in the truck "standing guard" while the gear was offloaded.  There were a lot of cars that seemed like they were circling the block while the offload took place -- but fortunately no incidents happened.  We couldn't wait to get our collective asses out of there and back to the I.E.   Not so ironically, when the housing boom went bust a couple of years later, the several planned housing tracts in and around DHS were among the first to be deleted.     

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on August 07, 2017, 01:24:39 AM
I almost completely forgot about Desert Hot Springs or as many refer to it as "DHS."  DHS is a city a couple miles north of Palm Springs near the junction of I-10 and CA 62.  I once had to close a business out there because the city was so crime ridden that it was literally impossible to pull a profit.  There was all sorts of rumors (which I have no idea if they are true) that Los Angeles County would give the city of DHS money to house felons in halfway houses.  Apparently the windmills that bled onto Dillon Road were known locally as the "Windmill Graveyard" because bodies would be found out there dumped in the desert with alarming frequency. 

When I was living in Portland back in the mid-90's, Clackamas County -- particularly the "hill country" around Estacada -- had a reputation as the "meth lab" capitol of the Northwest; an acquaintance at PSU suggested that at least a quarter of the mobile homes scattered around that area were meth lab sites.  When I relocated to the I.E. in 2004 -- and occasionally had to go out in the field for business -- I was informed by colleagues to avoid DHS like the plague unless I were to have a gun with me; the reason was the multitude of meth labs in the area, accompanied by often violent confrontations among the participants in that activity.   Fortunately, I only needed to go out there a few (IIRC, less than 4) times in the 6 years I ran our Ontario office.  One of the times I accompanied one of our delivery drivers (I went along to make sure some papers got signed correctly) -- this guy was 6-9 and went 325 pounds -- and even he had serious reservations about delivering our load (a mainframe plus all the internal components) to anywhere in that town.  We stopped by my home in Redlands en route, and I snagged one of my 9mm autos (the Taurus, IIRC) and stashed it under the truck seat -- just in case.  This was back in 2005 during the housing boom; we were delivering to a new title-company office.  Luckily it was early spring and not excruciatingly hot in the desert, since I remained in the truck "standing guard" while the gear was offloaded.  There were a lot of cars that seemed like they were circling the block while the offload took place -- but fortunately no incidents happened.  We couldn't wait to get our collective asses out of there and back to the I.E.   Not so ironically, when the housing boom went bust a couple of years later, the several planned housing tracts in and around DHS were among the first to be deleted.     

There was something going on in DHS in regards to scrap metal theft that was a big thing.  The business I cited earlier frequently had the copper pipe out back stolen which took the entire plumbing system down until it could be replaced.  I want to say in the year I dealt with the place that the thing was stolen at least half a dozen times, I never could get a fencing unit approved given the shut down that was eventually coming.  All and all it was just an awful place...I still don't know why anyone would want to establish a business there with all the crime that DHS brings.

Desert Man

Like previously mentioned in this thread, Desert Hot Springs 10 miles north of Palm Springs has a real high crime rate, in fact one of the top 10 worst places to live in CA. Then there's the "ABC" club of totally awful CA desert cities: Adelanto near Victorville, Barstow (where historic route 66 crosses) and California City - they have a minor league baseball team? Seriously? I'm sure they're relocating to Palm Springs. And finally, next to my hometown Indio CA is Coachella - not the music festival, the farm town with the feel of an urban ghetto...and most Hispanic/Latino percentage city in CA except Calexico, also among the state's 10 poorest and the Palm Springs area's oldest community since 1876.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

golden eagle

I've been to Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, and Washington, all which have or have had distinctions of having high murder rates.

ghYHZ

Several years ago we were passing through Columbus OH and wanted to take in a Clippers ball game. When buying tickets, we asked if there were any hotels within walking distance of the stadium so we could enjoy a few beers when we came back for the game that evening. His reply "don't walk around here a night" . We did but didn't have any problem. A couple of days later in Detroit.....we walked to the stadium for a Tigars game and again no problem.

And in Toronto.....Jays were playing Texas. Leaving the hotel I overheard a fan (from Texas) asking directions to a restaurant a couple of blocks away "is it safe to walk there?"

Perhaps we're a bit naïve.....and I'm sure there are places here where you might want to be a bit more cautious......but generally as a Canadian.......I don't consider our big cities as being unsafe.

AlexandriaVA

Many people who will tell you that a particular city is unsafe have spent little or no time in that city, instead basing their opinions off of television reports or conversations with neighbors/co-workers, etc.

JKRhodes

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 04, 2017, 08:48:40 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on August 04, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
The town of South Tucson, AZ supposedly has a very high crime index. I've been through there several times day and night, and while I wouldn't buy a house to raise a family there, I've had some amazing food and never felt unsafe in the town.

About half a decade back some co-workers from Phoenix were down in Willcox for a project.  Just so happens there was a huge 200 car pileup that day on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix which shut the freeway down.  One of my co-workers called me and I told her to take AZ 79/Old US 80 & 89 to get up to US 60, she made it home fine.  The other two guys stayed in South Tucson at some $19.99 hotel.  They kept hear gun shots nearby and screams from the hotel through the night and bailed out at 3 AM.  They could have spent up to $150 on a hotel which would have been reimbursed, I have no idea what they were thinking stayed in South Tucson.

Reminds me of a trip I took to Tucson some 7 years ago... Stepdad got bucked off his horse and flown from Safford to UMC for head injuries. I get the news coming off a graveyard shift. I'm Living in Tempe at the time, and I book it down there. I visit him, find out he's going to be fine, and take off after his "real kids" and mom show up. I cruise around Tucson for a little while and hit that "wall" of fatigue early in the afternoon. Driving back into Phoenix wasn't an option, it was the day before payday and I had maybe $50 to my name...  so I hit that stretch of cheap motels along the I-10 Frontage Road at 22nd Street, the ones that get cheaper the further south you go. I ended up at the last one, also $19.99 and took several naps in an itchy bed until my direct deposit hit and I was feeling rested enough to get back on the road. It was a memorable night for sure!

allniter89

When I drove an 18 wheeler it was my practice to sleep at the company I was delivering to for 2 reasons #1 was it was a guaranteed wake up call when the biz opened in the a.m, I tend to hit the snooze button & oversleep. #2 I didn't have to put up with a.m. rush hr.  If it looked like a dangerous neighborhood I'd keep a low profile. I'd pull the curtains across the windshield, stay in the sleeper berth outta sight & put the seat belt thru the door armrest making it near impossible to open the door.

I slept near 51st & Halstead in Shitcargo. Seeing the neighborhood in daylight was scary, a couple of the companys' 6 wheel delivery trucks had bullet holes in them :-o. I also saw every bldgs 1st floor doors & windows had burglar bars. No one could believe I slept there overnight. That was the first & last time I did.

I slept overnight near downtown Miami & was awakened by police sirens they found someone shot to death in the alley next to where I was parked. The cops came over & said "this is not a safe place to be after dark duh. I slept in many cities questionable neighborhoods, nobody bothered me. I heard knocking on my door but ignored til they went away.

I thought I was safe with the doors belted but realized they could shoot into the truck or bust the drivers side window to get in. I had my two buddies with me Johnny Walker Red & Jose Cuevio umm I mean Mr Smith & Mr Wesson  ;-) :nod:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

D-Dey65

I once drove into a section of Tarpon Springs, Florida that I found out was a dangerous neighborhood after I got out of it.

I saw an old map of Pinellas County, and I wanted to do some research on whether the map depicted Mango Road accurately. It turns out that the map was out of date, the road ended at a neighborhood called Mango Circle and I ended up making a U-turn there. Nothing about it looked particularly threatening. Later I mentioned it in a conversation at a Hess Express on US 19, and some guy overheard my conversation and was surprised I made it out alive and wasn't there to buy drugs.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on August 03, 2017, 03:37:24 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
As for most dangerous I've been to? Joliet, IL. I stayed at a no name motel there and as I stated in a post in the road trip forum, the place was infested with brown recluse spiders. About halfway through the night, some man came up to the door and he started pounding it and screaming that I "better have the fucking money" Luckily for me, I was in my truck, sleeping as I didn't want a brown recluse bite to ruin my day. He went at it for a good forty-five minutes. The lot was unlit so he couldn't see me. Gunshots rang through the night. People watching was pretty good as there were all sorts of "Ladies of the Night" I guess entering and exiting the rooms. That night was wild and I shall never forget it.

I'm curious as to which motel you were in.  Fenton's, Joliet Inn & Suites (a former HoJo at one time)?  Especially with shots ringing out through the night.  I live not far from there and have never heard such gunshots.  Fireworks yes, gunshots no.

As for me, I'd say the most dangerous city is Chicago.  Yes, it even outdoes Detroit nowadays.  Hell, downtown Detroit felt downright safe compared to the Loop at night.
The reason Detroit is more dangerous than Chicago is because Chicago has 2 million more people living in the city limits. Per capita Detroit is worse.

bugo

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 04, 2017, 01:57:13 PM
The bad parts of Bridgeport, CT, or perhaps Waterbury. I think moreso Bridgeport, but you should generally be on the lookout in any post-industrial city with a racially diverse population. Hell, really any post-industrial city for that matter.  :-/

That's kind of a bigoted comment. What does race have to do with it? I live in a racially diverse neighborhood and I don't feel unsafe at all.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: bugo on August 13, 2017, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 04, 2017, 01:57:13 PM
The bad parts of Bridgeport, CT, or perhaps Waterbury. I think moreso Bridgeport, but you should generally be on the lookout in any post-industrial city with a racially diverse population. Hell, really any post-industrial city for that matter.  :-/

That's kind of a bigoted comment. What does race have to do with it? I live in a racially diverse neighborhood and I don't feel unsafe at all.
Don't come to my hood in the Bronx, then. And the Nursing home I work in is filled chock a block with retired crims.

STV100-2

qguy

Manila, Philippines, and Juarez, Mexico. Take your pick.

bugo

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

The Nature Boy

I once found myself in a bad part of Rocky Mount, North Carolina. I was dropping off a friend in a neighborhood when I drove in the middle of a block party that had spilled into the streets. The partiers didn't clear the streets, they just blocked my car in on both sides (so I couldn't even back up and GTFO) and were not letting us get through. My friend's boyfriend, who lived in the neighborhood, got out of the car and spoke with somebody who then told the crowd to move out of the way and let us through. We had no trouble driving out of the neighborhood the way we came either, they just let us drive on through.

I have no clue how much danger we were actually in and I try not to think about it.

doorknob60

Huh, my great grandmother lived there for a while when I was young. I don't know exactly where, but I do remember we used Dillon Rd. to get there. I always enjoyed visiting her, at least for a day or 2 every summer. Had no idea it was a bad area, though I guess when you're 8 years old you wouldn't know any difference really.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 17, 2017, 01:27:34 PM

Huh, my great grandmother lived there for a while when I was young. I don't know exactly where, but I do remember we used Dillon Rd. to get there. I always enjoyed visiting her, at least for a day or 2 every summer. Had no idea it was a bad area, though I guess when you're 8 years old you wouldn't know any difference really.

I used to hear good things about the actual hot springs, I thought they were alright.  Really there was some bad dudes I had to deal with there in DHS.  One guy that we caught ripping a business off had nine felony warrants and was just hanging out there in DHS. 

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

noelbotevera

Quote from: qguy on August 13, 2017, 08:55:42 PM
Manila, Philippines, and Juarez, Mexico. Take your pick.
Manila, considering my parents lived there for 40 years.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

JJBers

If this is just the worst city I've been in...than the winner is Hartford...
For experiences, NYC, where I saw a homeless take pizza out of the trash.

My dad doesn't really like to go to cities that much, and with the cities in Connecticut, I understand why.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US 89

Quote from: JJBers on August 18, 2017, 12:25:45 AM
If this is just the worst city I've been in...than the winner is Hartford...
For experiences, NYC, where I saw a homeless take pizza out of the trash.

In NYC, I saw a homeless man throw his cigarette on the ground when he was done with it, and then another homeless man picked it up and started smoking it.

jp the roadgeek

North Philly and West Philly (west of 40th St)

Baltimore west of the Inner Harbor and the near north side

NYC has rough parts, but there's other parts I've felt safe.  Midtown and the Upper East Side are safe, as is Greenwich Village, Williamsburg, and Park Slope.  Parts of Upper Manhattan, Queens (along the 7), and the South Bronx are kind of rough.

As far as Hartford, the North End and Frog Hollow are kind of rough.  I had a couple of great aunts who lived in the southwestern portion of the city and it was pretty safe.  Bridgeport is overall pretty rough, as are parts of Waterbury and New Haven.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

michravera

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
The word in quotes is subjective...

I lived in St. Louis for 16 years and never had a problem. Hell, people up in the north end of the city knew me by my first name. I do not understand why STL city is rated most dangerous in the USA. North St. Louis County, on the other hand is more dangerous than the city itself. Yes, the latest rash of violence within the city limits doesn't look good, but it's not like that throughout the city.

As for most dangerous I've been to? Joliet, IL. I stayed at a no name motel there and as I stated in a post in the road trip forum, the place was infested with brown recluse spiders. About halfway through the night, some man came up to the door and he started pounding it and screaming that I "better have the fucking money" Luckily for me, I was in my truck, sleeping as I didn't want a brown recluse bite to ruin my day. He went at it for a good forty-five minutes. The lot was unlit so he couldn't see me. Gunshots rang through the night. People watching was pretty good as there were all sorts of "Ladies of the Night" I guess entering and exiting the rooms. That night was wild and I shall never forget it.
I've been a victim or intended victim of tourist crime in Reno, Las Vegas, Rio, and on the back side of Oahu.

On the back side of Oahu I remember telling my Ex "Don't worry, Hon. Where we are there are only Hawaiian natives who ask God before they take a fish out of the ocean and Japanese tourists who have more money than we do." WRONG! Someone had keys from the rental company and took money out of the wallet that I had stashed in the trunk.

In Rio, little kids, especially at the beach, will steal anything that isn't nailed down with nails.

I won't go into the many attempts that have been made in Reno and Las Vegas.

In Oakland, I barely feel safe running form BART to somewhere nearby..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.