News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-335 for Des Moines Beltway?

Started by Revive 755, May 09, 2011, 05:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Just came through Des Moines last weekend on I-35 and saw a lot of dirt work at mm94 on the east side. Is this where the bypass will tie into I-35?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

froggie

According to Iowa DOT, it's for a new local interchange at NE 36th St to serve northern Ankeny.

iowahighways

Update from the Des Moines Register: Problems noted in beltway plan

In short, plans to upgrade US 65/IA 5 to I-335 or I-whatever-35 have hit a snag after an Iowa DOT study stated that about $23.5 million in upgrades would be needed. It's also going to cause access problems for farmers in the area since a minimum speed limit would need to be imposed.  The old IA 46 bridge that crossed the Des Moines River just west of US 65 was removed in 1998, so the US 65 portion of the beltway has no minimum speed limit. This allows farm machinery to use that stretch of road.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

NE2

I'm pretty sure that's just a state law that prohibits tractors on Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2011, 10:45:06 PM
Quote from: Zmapper on May 09, 2011, 10:34:39 PM
But if you have the option of spreading out the numbers then why not? Some people could confuse two I-435 numbered highways.

I don't think the confusion is too much of a problem, given that they're so many miles apart.

But there are no cities in between, and residents of one frequently travel to or beyond the other.  A driver from Minneapolis, going to Kansas, encounters only two cities in between–Des Moines and Kansas City.  With such sparse population, they might reasonably have directions like 'South 35 to South 435 to West 70'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2012, 01:30:45 PM
But if you have the option of spreading out the numbers then why not? Some people could confuse two I-435 numbered highways.

I don't think the confusion is too much of a problem, given that they're so many miles apart.

But there are no cities in between, and residents of one frequently travel to or beyond the other.  A driver from Minneapolis, going to Kansas, encounters only two cities in between–Des Moines and Kansas City.  With such sparse population, they might reasonably have directions like 'South 35 to South 435 to West 70'.

I'm not convinced that this is given serious consideration when numbering 3DIs.  On the relatively short (less than 90-minute) drive from Topeka, KS to Lee's Summit, MO, one will encounter two Interstates 470.  Also, Oklahoma City and Wichita are about as far from each other as are Kansas City and Des Moines, and both Oklahoma City and Wichita have an I-235.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

TheStranger

Quote from: stridentweasel on December 02, 2012, 12:06:19 AM

I'm not convinced that this is given serious consideration when numbering 3DIs.  On the relatively short (less than 90-minute) drive from Topeka, KS to Lee's Summit, MO, one will encounter two Interstates 470.  Also, Oklahoma City and Wichita are about as far from each other as are Kansas City and Des Moines, and both Oklahoma City and Wichita have an I-235.

The two closest same-numbered signed 3dis I can think of would be the two I-291s, and the I-695s in Baltimore and Washington DC.
Chris Sampang

Alps

Quote from: TheStranger on December 02, 2012, 12:41:42 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on December 02, 2012, 12:06:19 AM

The two closest same-numbered signed 3dis I can think of would be the two I-291s, and the I-695s in Baltimore and Washington DC.
And the I-395s in Baltimore and Washington. And the I-495s in Massachusetts and Maine. So many.

Revive 755

But at least for now, said driver would not encounter a 'South 435' when traveling SB on I-35.  If/when the new facility would make it to I-35 north of I-80, the Iowa DOT would just need to be careful with the control cities.

apeman33

If people don't confuse the two I-470s in Topeka and Kansas City, two I-435s farther apart shouldn't bother anyone.

Alex

While researching for an overhaul to the Interstate 235 page on Interstate-Guide, I ran across a 2014 Iowa Public Radio story about the upgrade of the Des Moines outer beltway to an Interstate. The same issue that Jason wrote about up thread was mentioned about slow moving farm equipment using the freeway. With the recent approval of Interstate 555 thanks to an exemption for farm equipment using the stretch across the St. Francis River floodway, could something similar work for Iowa?

Jardine

Farmers all gonna be farmin' with them new fangled drones purdy soon . . . .

:-D

mvak36

I drove this road when I was up in Des Moines a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize that this is being proposed as an interstate. It will be interesting to see what they plan on doing going forward.

Just throwing this out there, but if 335 and 435 don't work, how about 835? It's not being used anywhere else.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

If they were to make the beltway an Interstate, they should also renumber the confusing exit sequence. It starts out with the mileage of state highway 5 and later gets the mileage of US 65. Exit 0 would be at Interstate 35, and they would count up from there.

froggie

I recall that 2014 article when it came out.  Take note that area officials put a hold on the idea, pending more study.  Given how heavily agricultural Iowa is (far moreso than northeastern Arkansas), I would hazard a bet that this won't happen.

paulthemapguy

The way to minimize numerical confusion would be to number it I-880.  235 and 880 have zero digits in common, making it easy to separate them in your mind.  I will also accept 835.  Note that Iowa doesn't have a 180 because each state on either side of Iowa has a 180.  You don't see the expressway from Iowa City to Waterloo also carrying a 180 designation, do you?  No, it's I-380.  I think everyone here agrees, though, that an odd first digit is insane lol.  I-540 in NC is irritating enough to me.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Henry

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 18, 2016, 09:21:11 AM
I-540 in NC is irritating enough to me.
I-520 around Augusta is irritating too, but at least it exists in two states.

As for this beltway, I think I-835 would be perfect for it. It's the only even I-x35 that has yet to be used (I-235 in Des Moines and Wichita, I-435 in Kansas City and I-635 in Kansas City and Dallas).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

QuoteNote that Iowa doesn't have a 180 because each state on either side of Iowa has a 180.  You don't see the expressway from Iowa City to Waterloo also carrying a 180 designation, do you?  No, it's I-380.

At the time I-380 came about, Iowa had an IA 180.  They were well within their right to request 380 for the Interstate route.

The Ghostbuster

It's seems more likely to me that this corridor will remain State Highway 5 and US 65.

mrose

I like 835 because it is a mashup of 80 and 35, the two interstates that it connects.

skluth

Quote from: Henry on March 18, 2016, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 18, 2016, 09:21:11 AM
I-540 in NC is irritating enough to me.
I-520 around Augusta is irritating too, but at least it exists in two states.

I-520 originally was a spur entirely in Georgia that ended at GA-28. Only much later was it extended to bypass Augusta.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.