News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2017, 02:13:10 PM
IMO this project should be brought up every single time people make public-private partnerships sound like some kind of Holy Grail that makes money appear and projects magically complete on time.

PREACH!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Life in Paradise

I get it, they wanted to save money and get the job done and then trumpet that they did so.  IT JUST DIDN'T WORK.  I have talked to a contractor associated with the project, and he says that it's crazy what the partners are doing; they do one project, then pick up and move miles away to do another, ignoring the one that's needed adjacent to the first one.  They are moving equipment and wasting so much time and money it's stupid.  Also, don't get me started on the bridge project about five miles south of Martinsville that bottlenecks traffic except in the middle of the night (I try to avoid going through there except late).  That part of the project should have been completed in one season, let alone three or four.

Since this didn't work, the State of Indiana needs to learn from it.  Don't ever structure anything like this again.  If you want to save taxpayers money, great.  Just do it in a way that the state has oversight and can step in with authority, so the work can get done.  It's not here.

I-39

IMO this project should be brought up every single time people make public-private partnerships sound like some kind of Holy Grail that makes money appear and projects magically complete on time.

This. I'm all for saving money, but work needs to get done on time, within budget and good quality.

Cheaper isn't always better.

abqtraveler

Quote from: I-39 on April 27, 2017, 04:20:43 PM

This. I'm all for saving money, but work needs to get done on time, within budget and good quality.

Cheaper isn't always better.

P-3 arrangements to finance highway construction are still a relatively new concept here in the United States, and there's still a lot of learning that needs to be had before we can start using such arrangements routinely for roadbuilding and maintenance.  While I credit Indiana with thinking outside of the box in its approach to completing Section 5 of I-69, it proves the point that the Government needs to carefully vet prospective offerors when procuring infrastructure improvements through P-3 arrangements.  Part of the source selection criteria should have included an evaluation of the financial health and past performance of each offeror bidding on the project, in addition to the technical aspects presented in the proposal.  It appears the latter two factors were not considered, and without knowing any further details about the source selection for Section 5, it appears the contract award went to the offeror with the lowest price, technically acceptable proposal (LPTA).  As we see, a source selection based on LPTA may not necessarily yield the desired results.  This may have been a case where INDOT and IFA should have went with an offer who may have had a higher price, but may have solid financial footing that would have avoided a lot of the issues we're seeing on Section 5 today.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

GreenLanternCorps

It's a pretty spring day outside.  A perfect time for someone, who shall remain nameless, but lives near Bloomington, to take a nice drive and take some photos...

csw

I drove northbound from SR 64 to US 231 today, nothing really of note except that the highway looks really good. The scenery is some of the best in the state and everything is new and polished. Plus there are hardly any billboards up yet!

westerninterloper

Quote from: csw on May 13, 2017, 08:45:25 PM
I drove northbound from SR 64 to US 231 today, nothing really of note except that the highway looks really good. The scenery is some of the best in the state and everything is new and polished. Plus there are hardly any billboards up yet!

It would be great if no billboards were allowed on that stretch...or any stretch for that matter. They are pretty strictly limited in Ohio, and the state is much prettier for it. Indiana looks like a flea market in comparison.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

ITB

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on May 13, 2017, 03:45:15 PM
It's a pretty spring day outside.  A perfect time for someone, who shall remain nameless, but lives near Bloomington, to take a nice drive and take some photos...

I guess that would be me. I'll see what I can do.

GreenLanternCorps

Now I feel guilty... :-(

Seriously, you do a very good job with your photo updates and I think everyone on the thread appreciates them. 

However don't let a bunch of strangers on a Internet forum with too much time on their hands dictate what you do in real life.

Besides I was really bored at my daughters dance competition when I posted that.  Six hours for two five minutes performances.  However, her two teams did well, so it was worth it.

silverback1065

surveying has begun on the final section of 69

GreenLanternCorps

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ITB

During the weekend I went out for a look-see and took a few snaps. It's been a while since I've done an update, so let's get to it. Photos were taken Saturday, May 13, unless otherwise noted.

Construction of Fullerton Pike and the I-69/Fullerton Pike interchange; looking east. The interchange will feature two roundabouts, one on each side of the overpass. In the mid-background is the western roundabout.

The overpass that will carry Fullerton Pike over I-69; looking northeast. This is the first bridge to feature the decorative railing that will eventually grace all of the I-69 overpasses in Bloomington. Photo was taken April 13.

Looking north from S. Monroe Medical Drive toward the future Fullerton Pike western roundabout. The overpass is to the right.

Construction to realign a small section of Rockport Road to form a new intersection with Fullerton Pike east of SR 37/I-69; looking south. Photo was taken April 18.

This is Fullerton Pike east of Rockport Road. Plans are to punch Fullerton Pike through to Gordon Pike/Rhorer Road–a distance of about a 1/2 mile–to create an east-west arterial on Bloomington's southside. Seems logical considering the future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange. Photo was taken April 18.

Another view of the Fullerton Pike work zone; looking east. Of note is the large MSE retaining wall.

And here's the retaining wall under construction. Photo was taken January 2017.

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on April 26, 2017, 11:15:36 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 14, 2017, 09:39:03 PM
Interesting, since InDoT has End I-69 signs (NB) at Ind 37, south of Bloomington, as of last week.

Photos?

This was up in December. Not sure if Sandor has spotted something in addition to this or not.

2016 Bloomington Trip Day 1 - 311 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: ITB on May 16, 2017, 01:57:33 AM
During the weekend I went out for a look-see and took a few snaps. It's been a while since I've done an update, so let's get to it. Photos were taken Saturday, May 13, unless otherwise noted.

Construction of Fullerton Pike and the I-69/Fullerton Pike interchange; looking east. The interchange will feature two roundabouts, one on each side of the overpass. In the mid-background is the western roundabout.

The overpass that will carry Fullerton Pike over I-69; looking northeast. This is the first bridge to feature the decorative railing that will eventually grace all of the I-69 overpasses in Bloomington. Photo was taken April 13.

Looking north from S. Monroe Medical Drive toward the future Fullerton Pike western roundabout. The overpass is to the right.

Construction to realign a small section of Rockport Road to form a new intersection with Fullerton Pike east of SR 37/I-69; looking south. Photo was taken April 18.

This is Fullerton Pike east of Rockport Road. Plans are to punch Fullerton Pike through to Gordon Pike/Rhorer Road—a distance of about a 1/2 mile—to create an east-west arterial on Bloomington's southside. Seems logical considering the future Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange. Photo was taken April 18.

Another view of the Fullerton Pike work zone; looking east. Of note is the large MSE retaining wall.

And here's the retaining wall under construction. Photo was taken January 2017.

Thank you very much.  And see, it was a nice sunny day!

ITB

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on May 16, 2017, 12:26:05 PM
Thank you very much.  And see, it was a nice sunny day!

You're very welcome. And thank you for the earlier compliment.

ITB

Here's another batch of pictures. Photos were taken May 14, 2017, unless otherwise noted.

Again, the Fullerton Pike/I-69 interchange; looking southeast. The ramp pictured (actually two) are for traffic exiting and entering southbound I-69 at Fullerton Pike. The ramps veer off north from the traffic roundabout (pictured in the previously uploaded photo batch). The ramp to enter southbound I-69 swings around in a semi-circle to form a merge lane (see next photo). Photo was taken May 13.

Here's the curvature of the southbound ramp. In the foreground is the stub for the ramp for exiting southbound I-69 traffic to Fullerton Pike. It's readily apparent good progress has been made, but a lot of work remains. Photo was taken May 13.

Looking north from the Kinser Pike overpass toward SR 37 and the three bridges that will carry I-69 over Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek, and Beanblossom Overflow. All three bridges, both northbound and southbound, are undergoing expansion and complete overhauls. Construction of the inner portions of the bridges was completed this spring and opened to traffic, while work has now shifted to the outer sections.

The day before this photo was taken a tragic accident occurred in this very vicinity. At the Bottom Road/SR 37 access point, located just in front of the S. Walnut Street overpass (pictured), an individual on a bicycle was apparently attempting to cross the southbound lanes of SR 37. A vehicle carrying an 11 year-old girl from Martinsville, IN, swerved to avoid the bicyclist, crossed the median, and collided with a pickup truck in the northbound lanes. The driver of the swerving vehicle was severely injured, and the young girl died. The man driving driving the pickup declined medical attention. No further word on the identity or age of the bicyclist.

Update: It is now being reported the driver of the vehicle that swerved to miss the bicyclist, and then crossed the median, was treated at Indiana University Health Bloomington Hospital and later released. She was 21 years old and the older sister of the 11 year-old girl.

Looking south toward SR 37/future I-69 from the Kinser Pike overpass. The narrow median in this vicinity will feature a cable barrier.

Reconstruction work of the outer section of the southbound SR 37/I-69 bridge over Griffy Creek; looking northeast.

A closer view of the Griffy Creek bridge work zone; looking north. The N. Walnut Street overpass is in the background. In the deep background, earthwork is underway to construct one of the local access roads that will connect into the Sample Road/I-69 interchange.

At this time I'm limited to taking photos with a rather basic point and shoot camera. It's a nice little handheld, but the ability to zoom is constrained. The other more advanced camera I was using was fiddled with by a family member and ... broken. Fancy that.

More pics to come.

Henry

It's always nice to see progress, especially when the final section is finally being surveyed. I'll be sure to check out the newly-completed I-69 extension once it opens.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

side note, why the hell was someone on a bike trying to cross 37? 

ITB

Here's a selection of pictures from the Sample Road work zone. Photos were taken May 14.

The Sample Road/SR 37 intersection; looking east. Work has commenced to build the columns of the median bent for the Sample Road overpass. While it's not evident in the photo, the bent–i.e. the middle support structure of an overpass–is located just to the west of SR 37. This is because between Sample Road and Chambers Pike, which is about 1 3/4 miles north, the current northbound lanes of SR 37 will become a local access road. The current I-37 southbound lanes will become the northbound lanes of I-69, and about 1 1/2 miles of new interstate mainline will be constructed for the southbound lanes of I-69. In the foreground, the whitish material is lime that is mixed with dirt to create a dense, tough material ideal for a roadway's foundation.

Another view of the columns for the median bent from the other side of SR 37; looking west.

Looking north from Sample Road toward SR 37. Crew have started blasting activities for create a path for the new mainline roadway. It is rock formations like this they are blasting away.

Looking south from near the Wylie Road/SR 37 access point. In the background is the overpass for the N. Walnut Street partial interchange. Earthwork in this vicinity is underway to build the local access road that will connect into the Sample Road interchange, just to the north.

Looking north toward SR 37 from near Wylie Road. The Sample Road work zone is just past the crest of the hill. Note the path of the future access road that will run parallel to I-69. Yup. There's a lot of work to do.

The view south from near the Sample Road/SR 37 intersection. In the background is Wayport Road, which will eventually become the local access road and link into the Sample Road interchange.

Looking south from Sample Road, this is where the local access will link into the Sample Road interchange east of I-69. The path of the road passes directly through the parking lot of a landscaping business. I imagine they got a pretty good deal.

A more expansive view of the work zone at Sample Road; looking east.

Another perspective of the Sample Road work zone; looking north. Lots of equipment on site, lots of work to do.

That's all for now.

Interstate 69 Fan

Google Maps shows the Liberty Church interchange underway. I'm not seeing how Godsey Road will access I-69.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 18, 2017, 11:30:09 AM
Google Maps shows the Liberty Church interchange underway. I'm not seeing how Godsey Road will access I-69.

Godsey Road will intersect with the local access road west of the mainline at the Liberty Church Road interchange. That access road will link directly into the interchange. The map uploaded on the I-69 Section 5 website gives a good idea how the interchange and access roads link together.

http://www.i69section5.org/

NE2

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 17, 2017, 12:08:24 PM
side note, why the hell was someone on a bike trying to cross 37? 
Have you read Fahrenheit 451?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thefro

So this project has had some issues since the forums went down.  Completion date delayed again to August 31st, 2018.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/05/indiana-finance-authority-i-69-blooomington-martinsville-p-3-public-private-partnership/370165001/\

Quote from: Indy StarThe state of Indiana intends to take control of the troubled I-69 project from Bloomington to Martinsville as the public-private partnership used to finance and build the highway crumbles.

Bond analysts told IndyStar that terminating the deal could drive up project costs, but it is uncertain how much.

State officials confirmed Monday that the project's new completion date would be pushed back from May 2018 to August 31, 2018.

That's the fourth time the opening has been pushed back as the state's design-build contractor struggles to pay subcontractors and meet deadlines. The original completion date was October 2016.

Now S&P are saying the project may run out of money in July.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/08/interstate-69-indiana-finance-authority-isolux-bloomington-p-3/381533001/

Quote from: Indy StarStandard & Poor has again downgraded the bonds financing the construction of I-69 between Bloomington and Martinsville on Thursday, saying the project could run out of money before the end of July.

In a race with the clock, state officials are negotiating with bondholders to take over financing and management of the project and bring it to completion. But so far, they have failed to reach an agreement, the ratings agency said.

"We anticipate that negotiations with bondholders will continue until funding runs out and construction stops," the S&P report said.

State officials have declined interview requests over several weeks and either failed to answer numerous written questions from IndyStar or provided only partial answers.

S&P, the global credit ratings company, said that either the state or a Canadian Pension Fund also involved in the project would have to infuse it with more cash to head off default.

Yet, when asked if a state takeover would increase the construction cost above the original $325 million bid, state officials appeared to disagree.

Indiana Finance Authority spokeswoman Stephanie McFarland wrote in a statement, "In having the state control the project, the expense to the state is no more than it would have paid under the original P3 structure."

The project has been a source of frustration and delays before construction even started. The S&P report said it's "exceptionally behind schedule," with an original completion date of October 2016 and the state's latest estimate of August 2018.

I-39

Quote from: thefro on June 09, 2017, 09:16:58 AM
So this project has had some issues since the forums went down.  Completion date delayed again to August 31st, 2018.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/05/indiana-finance-authority-i-69-blooomington-martinsville-p-3-public-private-partnership/370165001/\

Quote from: Indy StarThe state of Indiana intends to take control of the troubled I-69 project from Bloomington to Martinsville as the public-private partnership used to finance and build the highway crumbles.

Bond analysts told IndyStar that terminating the deal could drive up project costs, but it is uncertain how much.

State officials confirmed Monday that the project's new completion date would be pushed back from May 2018 to August 31, 2018.

That's the fourth time the opening has been pushed back as the state's design-build contractor struggles to pay subcontractors and meet deadlines. The original completion date was October 2016.

Now S&P are saying the project may run out of money in July.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/08/interstate-69-indiana-finance-authority-isolux-bloomington-p-3/381533001/

Quote from: Indy StarStandard & Poor has again downgraded the bonds financing the construction of I-69 between Bloomington and Martinsville on Thursday, saying the project could run out of money before the end of July.

In a race with the clock, state officials are negotiating with bondholders to take over financing and management of the project and bring it to completion. But so far, they have failed to reach an agreement, the ratings agency said.

"We anticipate that negotiations with bondholders will continue until funding runs out and construction stops," the S&P report said.

State officials have declined interview requests over several weeks and either failed to answer numerous written questions from IndyStar or provided only partial answers.

S&P, the global credit ratings company, said that either the state or a Canadian Pension Fund also involved in the project would have to infuse it with more cash to head off default.

Yet, when asked if a state takeover would increase the construction cost above the original $325 million bid, state officials appeared to disagree.

Indiana Finance Authority spokeswoman Stephanie McFarland wrote in a statement, "In having the state control the project, the expense to the state is no more than it would have paid under the original P3 structure."

The project has been a source of frustration and delays before construction even started. The S&P report said it's "exceptionally behind schedule," with an original completion date of October 2016 and the state's latest estimate of August 2018.

I sincerely hope they don't use another Public-Private Partnership for the Martinsville-Indianapolis segment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.