News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

SPUI? HOLY BLAP, HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS WAS HAPPENING?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Pete from Boston

Saw this sign pointing down the hill toward Main Street in Belfast today.  Sure, or you can get to Route 1 that way, but it doesn't run on Main Street anymore.  What are the chances this is from before the bypass?

froggie

The Bath Police Department has posted a video on their Facebook page showing some of the destruction of the old US 1 viaduct over downtown Bath.

yakra

Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2016, 04:06:34 PM
The Bath Police Department has posted a video on their Facebook page showing some of the destruction of the old US 1 viaduct over downtown Bath.
MDOT has a photo gallery online: http://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/bathviaduct/photos/
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Pete from Boston

How old was the viaduct?  I assumed it came with the new bridge. 

froggie

The old viaduct dated to 1958, per both National Bridge Inventory and MaineDOT's project website.

Marf

Has anyone else noticed that the BGS's on the Exit 22 overpass on I-295 have been moved to the ground? The bridge is pretty old, so I assume that this is a structural issue.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

OracleUsr

Plus, the MUTCD forbids putting BGS's on the bridge, so they may be replacing the signs.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Marf

I was under the impression that this was legal as it is common in Maine, so is MDOT replacing them as they wear out or is there a concentrated effort to ground-mount the signs?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Alps

Quote from: OracleUsr on December 04, 2016, 08:20:13 PM
Plus, the MUTCD forbids putting BGS's on the bridge, so they may be replacing the signs.
No it doesn't, at all. That's just state agency policy.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: yakra on November 06, 2016, 12:07:27 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2016, 04:06:34 PM
MDOT has a photo gallery online: http://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/bathviaduct/photos/
Wow - that was quick.  Seems we just went over this on our trip to Acadia a couple months ago.  Now if only they'd put a viaduct over Wiscasset.

yakra

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:59:03 PM
Now if only they'd put a viaduct over Wiscasset.
Go up Route 11 and come back down Route 1. Save yrself a little time.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: yakra on December 13, 2016, 01:17:24 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:59:03 PM
Now if only they'd put a viaduct over Wiscasset.
Go up Route 11 and come back down Route 1. Save yrself a little time.
Yes - That seems like a reasonable shortcut.

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/22/maine-lawmakers-propose-lowering-speed-on-white-knuckle-section-of-i-295/

I wonder if lowering the speed limit on I-295 would make any difference for a recent spike in accidents?

froggie

FWIW, that segment of I-295 does have a lot of vertical (not just horizontal) curves and blind spots to where I don't think 70 MPH is appropriate.  Though I think 60 is low-balling it a little, I don't think it's a 70 MPH design speed.  Bringing it back to 65 MPH would be more appropriate.

cl94

I agree that 70 is pushing it in that section. Generally, Maine has 65 mph limits in areas like that, so I agree that such a limit would be appropriate.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

yakra

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2016, 10:53:26 PM
FWIW, that segment of I-295 does have a lot of vertical (not just horizontal) curves and blind spots to where I don't think 70 MPH is appropriate.  Though I think 60 is low-balling it a little, I don't think it's a 70 MPH design speed.  Bringing it back to 65 MPH would be more appropriate.
Agree 100%.
I was a bit surprised when it happened to see the the speed limit raised that far south, and thought to myself that if I ran the zoo, I'd have kept it 65 MPH south of Topsham (Exit 31, next town north of Brunswick).
I drive this section (Portland/Falmouth to Brunswick) quite regularly. I'll set cruise control to 70 MPH north of Portland, as traffic conditions allow (and turn it off pretty frequently). Plenty of traffic passes me, and I'll have to pass a bit myself. Traffic that's in the 65 MPH +/- ballpark. There's a moderate amount of speed differential. It's more pronounced at the interchanges, which all see pretty heavy use except for 24. (And maybe, 22, a bit counter-intuitively? I might be imagining that; meh...) Yes, you'll need to be attentive here, but to call it "white knuckle" is a bit sensationalist IMO. (At least, for someone obeying the speed limit in the first place? O:-) )

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2016, 11:00:40 PM
I agree that 70 is pushing it in that section. Generally, Maine has 65 mph limits in areas like that, so I agree that such a limit would be appropriate.
FWIW, I-95 north of 295/Turnpike/Augusta still has some lower speed limits around some of the larger towns/cities, where otherwise the speed limit was raised to 70. 65, maybe even some 60 MPH sections? Waterville (Fairfield?), Augusta, Bangor... (Newport? Prolly not? I dunno man I didn't do it. I went to Bangor in September, but don't get north of Augusta very often.)

cl94

Waterville/Oakland is 65. Bangor is 60 from 182 to 187. The jump on the north to 70 is immediate, can't remember about the south side, with the jump to 75 at 193. Augusta is slow, but the rest of it from 295 to Houlton is 70+.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

yakra

froggie

billpa

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/bill-would-allow-creation-of-spur-connecting-rte-114-turnpike/421578440

A news piece about the Turnpike spur up to Gorham again. This time, it's from WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland.

KEVIN_224

Long overdue! The toll plaza at the southern end of I-295 in Scarborugh will be converted to an ORT plaza. Take note of the Exit 52 Falmouth Spur note on the left. Really? Many locals (and Concord Coach Lines bus drivers) know to duck the Scarborough toll by taking the Maine Mall exit immediately after and hoping onto I-295 North from there!  :nod:

http://www.maineturnpike.com/Projects-Planning/Construction-Projects/Exit-44-ORT.aspx

vdeane

Since Maine operates a virtual ticket system for its E-ZPass holders (there are gantries over all entering lanes), I would think locals wouldn't save anything by going to exit 45, not unless they're paying cash.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 07, 2017, 11:04:00 AM
Long overdue! The toll plaza at the southern end of I-295 in Scarborugh will be converted to an ORT plaza. Take note of the Exit 52 Falmouth Spur note on the left. Really? Many locals (and Concord Coach Lines bus drivers) know to duck the Scarborough toll by taking the Maine Mall exit immediately after and hoping onto I-295 North from there!  :nod:

http://www.maineturnpike.com/Projects-Planning/Construction-Projects/Exit-44-ORT.aspx

I avoid the Scarborough toll every time. It's not that hard to do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.