News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on April 07, 2017, 01:00:15 PM
Since Maine operates a virtual ticket system for its E-ZPass holders (there are gantries over all entering lanes), I would think locals wouldn't save anything by going to exit 45, not unless they're paying cash.

In fact, if you have a Maine-issued E-Zpass, it's more expensive to take exit 45. This trick only benefits the E-Zpassless and drivers with out of state tags.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 09, 2017, 09:58:57 AM
Since Maine operates a virtual ticket system for its E-ZPass holders (there are gantries over all entering lanes), I would think locals wouldn't save anything by going to exit 45, not unless they're paying cash.

In fact, if you have a Maine-issued E-Zpass, it's more expensive to take exit 45. This trick only benefits the E-Zpassless and drivers with out of state tags.
Wait, what? Is there actually some sort of toll reader system at 45?

cl94

Quote from: Alps on April 09, 2017, 11:24:22 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 09, 2017, 09:58:57 AM

Yes. All exits have a reader, but it only counts for Maine-issued tags. Maine tags work on a distance-based system. Everyone else has barrier tolls.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 09, 2017, 11:24:22 PM

Yes: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6299852,-70.3385287,3a,51.6y,106.99h,80.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgtc038ncGaMG_Lft31snRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This also shows in the toll schedule: E-Zpass rate is 5 cents more from 7 to 45 than from 7 to 44.

yakra

God damn it. This is what I get for using E-Z pass that one time.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alps

What if you used E-ZPass and then stuck the transponder in your shiny metal case upon exiting at 45? There would be no violation because you're not tolled without it, but then the system would have last recorded you... somewhere.

froggie

In which case the system would probably charge you the highest possible toll based on where you could have exited.  Here, either Augusta or York depending on where one got on...

Alps

Quote from: froggie on April 29, 2017, 03:55:29 PM
In which case the system would probably charge you the highest possible toll based on where you could have exited.  Here, either Augusta or York depending on where one got on...

That's what I figure. It's an oddity to have a free interchange on a toll road. Can't think of another instance where this is even a possibility.

(Yes, I'm aware other toll roads have free interchanges. But those are generally oriented so that you've just paid a toll, are about to pay a toll, or are on a known and acknowledged free segment.)

Beeper1

The toll structure on the Maine Turnpike is really odd in general. 

In the north, you have a totally free section between Auburn and Sabattis.

The main length from York to Auburn seems to be a sort of pay-as-you-enter road, but with exit tolls at some interchanges, and still barrier tolls for traffic exiting at either end.   It seems really inefficient.   The fact that in state transponders are tolled as if it were still a ticket system is even stranger, as if they still want to incentivize locals to use cash.

froggie

Per the project website, the replacement Bath Viaduct on US 1 is now open to traffic.  The viaduct reopened the week of the 1st (2 weeks ago).  Repaving of the frontage roads (which handled US 1 traffic during construction) is now occurring.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 10, 2017, 09:09:21 PM
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/bill-would-allow-creation-of-spur-connecting-rte-114-turnpike/421578440

A news piece about the Turnpike spur up to Gorham again. This time, it's from WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland.

Maine's governor vetoed the bill for the spur on Tuesday, but the state house has since overwhelmingly voted to override the veto. It goes to the state senate tomorrow for their vote to override which would get the proposal moving again.

http://news.keepmecurrent.com/senate-to-decide-fate-of-gorham-spur-proposal/
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/18/lepage-bill-to-shut-down-maine-turnpike-authority-goes-to-committee/

I doubt this will happen. What's the point of getting rid of all the other tolls if the one in York would remain?

@ THEHIGHWAYMAN394: It looks like the Gorham Spur will be happening.

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 19, 2017, 07:37:35 AM
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/18/lepage-bill-to-shut-down-maine-turnpike-authority-goes-to-committee/

I doubt this will happen. What's the point of getting rid of all the other tolls if the one in York would remain?

@ THEHIGHWAYMAN394: It looks like the Gorham Spur will be happening.
When the whole road is tolled, long distance travelers will bite the bullet and pay. When there's one toll, prepare for shunpikers. Route 1 and all the parallel back roads will suffer.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on May 19, 2017, 05:07:19 PM
When the whole road is tolled, long distance travelers will bite the bullet and pay. When there's one toll, prepare for shunpikers. Route 1 and all the parallel back roads will suffer.

Probably not so much in this case. It's 12 miles between exits on that stretch, and the most logical shunpike route is a two lane road passing through multiple towns. The detour would add enough time to not be worth it even without any extra congestion.

Beeper1

So he wants Maine to be like Delaware.  Great.

...and I'm sure he would be willing to increase funding to Maine DOT to take care of the 100 miles of the turnpike.

froggie

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Beeper1

Maine has made a minor route number change.  The northern section of ME-175, from ME-166 to US-1, has been re-numbered as a northern extension of ME-166.   This is probably to have one continuous number from Route 1 to Castine.    The road is now fully signed as 166, with small "Formerly 175" signs posted occasionally.

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on May 29, 2017, 09:37:34 PM
Maine has made a minor route number change.  The northern section of ME-175, from ME-166 to US-1, has been re-numbered as a northern extension of ME-166.   This is probably to have one continuous number from Route 1 to Castine.    The road is now fully signed as 166, with small "Formerly 175" signs posted occasionally.
That does make sense. 166 still ends at itself though. Something could probably be done with 199 to end that.

Ian

This change is at least over a year old as I noticed this when I went down that way in April of 2016. Here's a photo of the shields on US 1...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Ian on May 30, 2017, 03:44:00 PM

This change is at least over a year old as I noticed this when I went down that way in April of 2016. Here's a photo of the shields on US 1...

Purely for selfish reasoning, do you happen to have any Maine DOT or news sources stating this change? I'm going through Wikipedia's Maine State Routes list now and SR 175 is two uncreated articles away from me right now. I'd like to have concrete sourcing behind this change to make it more than a boring old "the road passes through rural areas" x20 article.

Ian

Quote from: Mr. Matté on May 30, 2017, 05:51:51 PM
Purely for selfish reasoning, do you happen to have any Maine DOT or news sources stating this change? I'm going through Wikipedia's Maine State Routes list now and SR 175 is two uncreated articles away from me right now. I'd like to have concrete sourcing behind this change to make it more than a boring old "the road passes through rural areas" x20 article.

I found nothing on the MaineDOT website about the change, but I did find this local news article regarding a proposal to swap ME 166 and 166A. Further down, the article states that one of the proposals included extending 166 up to US 1 and truncating ME 175, which is what ended up happening.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yakra

Quote from: Alps on May 29, 2017, 10:39:06 PM
That does make sense. 166 still ends at itself though. Something could probably be done with 199 to end that.
Incorrect. You're probably confusing 166A as part of 166.

Quote from: Mr. Matté on May 30, 2017, 05:51:51 PM
The change is shown in the MEDOTPUBRDS shapefile, available at http://www.maine.gov/megis/catalog/

Editing Wikipedia? www.floodgap.com/roadgap/me/ is a good historical resource, though it hasn't been updated in a few years.

yakra

Quote from: Ian on May 31, 2017, 04:57:16 PM
I did find this local news article regarding a proposal to swap ME 166 and 166A. Further down, the article states that one of the proposals included extending 166 up to US 1 and truncating ME 175, which is what ended up happening.
Quote"How many think the route numbering on the Blue Hill Peninsula makes sense or is totally screwed up?"  [Coughlan] asked a larger-than-usual selectmen's meeting audience.
Ooh ooh ooh, me me me me! I think they're totally screwed up!
QuoteHowever, Coughlan, who is attached to MDOT's Community Service Division, is most in favor of the second option, which not only switches route numbers 166 and 166A but would extend Route 166 all the way through Penobscot and Orland to Routes 1 and 3, doing away entirely with Route 175.
Not so! It only does away with it on the small portion that was redesignated 166. The majority of that abomination remains, and is still, for the most part, totally screwed up.

<FICTIONAL> Know what would make sense here?
1.) Redesignate the westernmost bits as an extension of 177.
2.) Create a new Route 15A, a straight shot from Penobscot down to Sedgwick, bypassing  Blue Hill. This can take over the northern bits of 199, the next segment of 175, and 176 between Franks Flat Rd (Route 175) and Route 15.
3.) Starting at the other end of 175 now, the bits overlapping 172 can remain just 172.
4.) The coastal loop through Brooklin, between where 175 leaves and rejoins 172, can become 172A.
5.) The segment from the south end of 172 to Route 15 can become an extension of 172.
6.) The bits overlapping 15 can remain just 15.
This leaves us with just the short loop through Brooksville. A short route serving a single place, going in a single coherent direction, rather than a big W that got hit with a flyswattah.
7.) There's opportunity to make 176 more orderly here as well: End it at 172 east of downtown Blue Hill. (It could then be signed as north-south; right now this is west, and so is this.) The bits overlapping 15 can remain just 15. The aforementioned Route 15A can take care of the next stretch, and Franks Flat Rd can remain just 175. The coastal loop around Brooksville, between the two intersections with what's left of 175, could become 175A.
8.) But you know what I like more? Make it 175 proper instead (with the north-south stretch of existing 175 on Bagaduce Rd becoming 175A instead), having 175 serve more of the coastal areas, and avoiding the awkward situation of 175A being longer than its parent route. Either way, 175 will have to make a 90° turn here, but at least it can stay on the thru road here. Heh -- this would leave the only original bits of 175 as Coastal Rd, and Bridge/Franks Flat Rd. (Am I evil? Naah...) Yes, I like that -- there would be a 1:1 correspondence between 175A and Bagaduce Rd, and all of Coastal Rd would have a single route number.

Yes, my proposal does create three new letter-suffixed routes. But overall it goes a long way toward making things more sensible and orderly, IMO.</FICTIONAL>

Edit: O Hay! I *did* already post this in fictional...

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/15/relieving-turnpike-congestion-between-scarborough-and-falmouth-could-involve-widening/

Yet more ambitious plans from the Maine Turnpike people, as to why more future Turnpike widening is needed, this time from Exit 44 in Scarborough (I-295 North) towards Falmouth. The Turnpike already gets close to Maine Mall Road now in South Portland. Gonna be interesting!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.