News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2012, 08:38:48 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 31, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
Kind of like referring to I-495 as the Beltway.
That one's a bit different because the street name for that highway is indeed the Capital Beltway.
Probably the majority of signs that say "Capital Beltway" are special shields. Like the Route 128 shields that appear on the side of the road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on June 01, 2012, 09:37:23 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 31, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
Kind of like referring to I-495 as the Beltway.
That one's a bit different because the street name for that highway is indeed the Capital Beltway.
Probably the majority of signs that say "Capital Beltway" are special shields. Like the Route 128 shields that appear on the side of the road.
I don't doubt that the Capital Beltway signs are special shields but that's not what I'm referring to.  The entire Captial Beltway will always be known as such regardless of whether the route number is I-95 or I-495 because that is the street name for that road. 

In the case of 128, the trailblazer shields along the I-93 stretch were eliminated nearly 2 decades ago but many still refer to that 6 to 7 mile stretch as "128" with its respective cardinal directions (128 South = 93 North and vice-versa).  And again, 128 is not the street name for that highway; the street name is the "Yankee Division Highway".  The only thing is, the name didn't quite resonate with the motorists, reporters and the like as well as the 128 number.  Had the road been named after somebody; the name might've stuck regardless of what the route number(s) were/are.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

on a related note, I've never heard anyone call it the Willis Tower.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

Do people in Pittsburgh still refer to the Roberto Clemente Bridge as the 6th Street Bridge?

Sometimes.  Though, I will say that it's caught on pretty well. Most news outlets use the new name pretty exclusively.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2012, 10:50:10 AM
the street name is the "Yankee Division Highway".  The only thing is, the name didn't quite resonate with the motorists, reporters and the like as well as the 128 number.

They would probably have had even less success with its original name (as a divided highway):  Circumferential Highway.  And as a historical note, MA 128 existed long before its current alignment did, as a mish-mash of local streets that somehow, if you de-focused your eyes on a map of greater Boston, described a semi-circular route through the suburbs.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 31, 2012, 11:26:22 AM

That is what is so strange about the replacement projects further south on 128--they have been replacing signs installed in the early 90s but the signs on 128 in Peabody and Danvers (and possibly some north of there in Beverly) date back to the 1970s.  If it was all about replacing signs that are worn out and no longer reflective, the Peabody-Danvers signs would have been replaced a long time ago.

Most of the 1970's vintage signs on Route 128 between Peabody and Gloucester were replaced during a sign replacement project completed in 2007.  As the larger construction project between Route 114 and Route 62 was under design at the time, replacement of the 1977 vintage signs in this area was deferred.  The same thing is going on on I-95 and I-93 between Wellesley and Randolph, where sign replacement work is being incorporated into the different construction projects for the "add-a-lane" roadway reconstruction and widening work.

And to answer your question, the initial priority for MassDOT's sign replacement program was Interstate routes.  It's only been within the past five to seven years that it's been expanded to non-interstate freeways.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 01, 2012, 11:00:38 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2012, 10:50:10 AM
the street name is the "Yankee Division Highway".  The only thing is, the name didn't quite resonate with the motorists, reporters and the like as well as the 128 number.

They would probably have had even less success with its original name (as a divided highway):  Circumferential Highway.  And as a historical note, MA 128 existed long before its current alignment did, as a mish-mash of local streets that somehow, if you de-focused your eyes on a map of greater Boston, described a semi-circular route through the suburbs.
A friend of mine's father had a 1937-vintage road map of Boston and Vicinity that indeed showed the pre-highway layout of 128; I should've snagged the map when I had the opportunity; the map sadly got lost/tossed when they moved.

When most of the highway received its Interstate designation, maybe the DPW should've revived the old pre-highway 128 alignment in those areas.

It's worth noting that when the Yankee Division Highway turned 50 years old in 2001; MassHighway had erected some commemorative trailblazer signs signifying that milestone.  I couldn't find any images of those signs but the wording went something like this (going from memory here):

1951-2001

ROUTE 128

YANKEE DIVISION
HIGHWAY

I forget whether there was a supplemental 50-year reference or not after the above-messages.  I believe that most of those signs have since gone by the wayside.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

These signs did include the legend 50 Years Of Service.  The signs were installed shortly before MassHighway and FHWA entered into their 2004 agreement to reduce the number of non-conforming and otherwise unnecessary signs on Massachusetts Interstate highways.  So, once the one year period of the anniversary had past, most of the "50th Anniversary" signs were quickly removed.  IIRC, the last one standing was on I-95 (128) south in Reading prior to I-93, which was removed sometime in 2007.

Sorry to say, I never thought to get a photo of one of those signs myself.

As a sidebar, the ARRA funding signs that were put up for the I-95 Lexington to Reading sign replacement project were finally removed a short time ago.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

deathtopumpkins

There's still one standing on 128 southbound where the onramp from 1A southbound merges on: http://goo.gl/maps/7YuR

In case you can't read it, it says:

ROUTE 128

50 years of service

YANKEE DIVISION
HIGHWAY

1951-2001
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mightyace

Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2012, 01:00:07 PM
Also, I-86 between Sturbridge and Hartford was originally signed as an east-west route.  When the signs were changed to I-84, West was overlaid with South.

What???  :confused:  Are you saying that I-84 near the MassPike was/is signed as north/south?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PHLBOS

Quote from: mightyace on June 06, 2012, 11:58:19 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2012, 01:00:07 PM
Also, I-86 between Sturbridge and Hartford was originally signed as an east-west route.  When the signs were changed to I-84, West was overlaid with South.
What???  :confused:  Are you saying that I-84 near the MassPike was/is signed as north/south?
The highway was originally known as MA 15; which indeed was a north-south route.

The WEST cardinal being overlaid onto the original SOUTH message sign that Roadman is referring to was located along US 20 westbound in Sturbridge that was erected circa 1973 (when the road was both I-84(86) and MA 15, but I don't believe that the MA 15 shields were ever on the main BGS boards).  In that particular case, the SOUTH message was indeed erroneously fabricated onto the main board.

The sign in question was replaced a few years ago.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 07, 2012, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: mightyace on June 06, 2012, 11:58:19 PM
The highway was originally known as MA 15; which indeed was a north-south route.

The WEST cardinal being overlaid onto the original SOUTH message sign that Roadman is referring to was located along US 20 westbound in Sturbridge that was erected circa 1973 (when the road was both I-84(86) and US 15, but I don't believe that the US 15 shields were ever on the main BGS boards).  In that particular case, the SOUTH message was indeed erroneously fabricated onto the main board.

The sign in question was replaced a few years ago.

Besides the sign in question, which was located on US 20 west at I-84, there was at least one other sign (the exact location escapes me at the moment) that had a similar error.  Use of "South" instead of "West" may have been a design error, not a fabrication one - I'll have to see if I can dig up the original signing plans for the I-86 widening and improvements that were done in the 1970s.

And you are correct, the only BGSes that had Route 15 shields were the mainline Exit 9 signs on the MassPike.  As I noted on a different thread, the Route 15 shields on these signs were replaced with US 20 shields about 1980 - I recall being on a family trip to NY City at the time and noticing the change.

agentsteel53

speaking of the Sturbridge area, anyone know when the last I-86 shield was replaced at exit 2?  I remember it being there as late as 1987 or so. 

I went back in 2010 and the banners and arrows definitely look to be of 70s vintage, but the shield is a modern style I-84 that looks like it has about 25 years of service.

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on June 07, 2012, 09:39:45 AMBesides the sign in question, which was located on US 20 west at I-84, there was at least one other sign (the exact location escapes me at the moment) that had a similar error.  Use of "South" instead of "West" may have been a design error, not a fabrication one - I'll have to see if I can dig up the original signing plans for the I-86 widening and improvements that were done in the 1970s.
Shortly after my previous post, I just remembered that the exit sign for I-84(86) West off US 20 eastbound also contained the same error... at least the DPW was consistent.  :) 

What's even more interesting was how the DPW replaced the erroneous cardinals.  Instead of taking down the old letters and replacing them with new & correct ones (like what was done with the 70s-vintage MA 114 BGS panels at the I-95 & US 1 interchanges in Danvers circa 1974); they just placed wooden panels (wood in type similar to their smaller guidance signs) bearing the correct cardinal over them. 

While still effective, the method was clearly on the cheap.

Since my brother & his family moved to Sturbridge over 15 years ago; I've become more familiar with the signs in that area.  IIRC, along US 20 westbound just past the ramp for I-84 West, there's one or two ground-mounted '73-vintage BGS' (for Old Sturbridge Villiage Road) still standing.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman on June 07, 2012, 09:39:45 AMI'll have to see if I can dig up the original signing plans for the I-86 widening and improvements that were done in the 1970s.

Out of interest, are signing plans of that generation pattern-accurate?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2012, 10:28:58 AM

Out of interest, are signing plans of that generation pattern-accurate?

The answer is no, at least for Massachusetts.  MassDOT only recently converted to a "pattern accurate" format for project guide sign summary sheets.

The I-91 Longmeadow to West Springfield project recently awarded (and the subject of a different thread here on AA Roads) is the first MassDOT sign replacement project to use the new format.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 07, 2012, 10:06:21 AM

Since my brother & his family moved to Sturbridge over 15 years ago; I've become more familiar with the signs in that area.  IIRC, along US 20 westbound just past the ramp for I-84 West, there's one or two ground-mounted '73-vintage BGS' (for Old Sturbridge Villiage Road) still standing.

as of Feb 2010, this is correct.  I had no idea they went back to '73.

jake@aaroads.com

bob7374

Back to I-95--
I noticed on the MassDOT project listings page that the contract to update the signage from Lexington south to MA 9 has been moved from 'Under Design' to 'Under Construction'. There was no date attached other than the project is suppose to begin in Spring 2012. They also have 'vacant' listed where the project engineer contact information was.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on June 21, 2012, 10:52:32 PM
Back to I-95--
I noticed on the MassDOT project listings page that the contract to update the signage from Lexington south to MA 9 has been moved from 'Under Design' to 'Under Construction'. There was no date attached other than the project is suppose to begin in Spring 2012. They also have 'vacant' listed where the project engineer contact information was.

That is correct, as the project was just awarded.  The MassDOT public web site normally doesn't identify the project resident engineer until after the pre-construction conference is held.

Usually, however, they will list the design project manager until a resident engineer is assigned to the project.

Indicating "vacant" instead is very unusual.

southshore720

On a weekend trip up 95/128 NB, I noticed that the updated sign for Exit 13 (University Ave) took quite a beating...the right half is all smashed in.  I'm assuming that since it was just replaced, the damaged version will remain for quite some time...  When a motorist damages a sign, shouldn't they be liable for covering the damage?

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on July 03, 2012, 12:12:37 AM
On a weekend trip up 95/128 NB, I noticed that the updated sign for Exit 13 (University Ave) took quite a beating...the right half is all smashed in.  I'm assuming that since it was just replaced, the damaged version will remain for quite some time...  When a motorist damages a sign, shouldn't they be liable for covering the damage?

If the driver who damaged the sign can be identified, then they (or their insurance company) will be responsible for reimbursing the state for the cost of replacing the sign.  MassDOT has a specific program called "Accident Recovery" that does nothing but deal with these types of issues.

bob7374

From traveling to and from Maine the past couple days, I have the following information on I-95 signage from Peabody north (pardon, if some of this is old news, I haven't driven this stretch in at least 10 years):
1. Signage has been replaced to current design specs from Exit 55 north to the NH border (with the exception of a few signs near the 3-lane stretch near the Merrimack River which I assume will be replaced after the road is widened to 4-lanes in each direction).
2. There are also new diagrammatic signs heading south at the Route 1 exit (46) prior to reaching 128, along with new signs at the 128 exit itself (45) and the US 1 exit following (44). Any of this part of the sign replacement project for 128 between Gloucester and Peabody?
3. This would leave sign replacement projects needed to be let for Exits 38-43 (44 NB?), 47-54 north of Boston, along with all the signs south of 128 to RI, and the replacement of the remaining older signing as part of the 'Add-A-Lane' project between MA 109 and MA 9, plus the completion of the recently let contract between MA 9 and MA 4/225 to change out all the signs along I-95 in MA and make the route ready for conversion to mileage based exiting. A lot of work, needless to say.

deathtopumpkins

They replaced the signage on 95 southbound at 1? Guess I better head over there then. Last time I drove that was on I believe this past Wednesday and the advance signs were the same old diagrammatics that have been up for years now, and the exit itself was the same old sign with the awkwardly cut-out pull through and the NJ-style US 1 shield.

I just drove US 1 northbound an hour or two ago... if I'd known this I would have tried to look behind me at 95!

Also, noticed today that on MA 2A eastbound approaching 95/128 there is a "JCT 128" sign with no mention of 95. The paddle signs at the interchange itself are the standard 95 only signs, with standalone 128 shields, I just found it interesting that there is no mention of 95 when approaching the interchange.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 25, 2012, 05:26:56 PM
They replaced the signage on 95 southbound at 1? Guess I better head over there then. Last time I drove that was on I believe this past Wednesday and the advance signs were the same old diagrammatics that have been up for years now, and the exit itself was the same old sign with the awkwardly cut-out pull through
You think this is awkward?

The NY Thruway Authority thinks otherwise.

deathtopumpkins

I knew about and have driven under the NYSTA sign, but that makes the signs no less awkward. In fact I think the NYSTA one is less awkward because it has fully rounded corners, rather than a mix of sharp and rounded like on the Mass sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.