News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Loops

Started by OCGuy81, May 04, 2012, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on May 11, 2012, 07:03:16 PM
NJ Turnpike's 3/3/3/3 setup is mostly for roadway management. If you get an accident in one set of lanes, you can shift traffic over to the next set. It also makes overnight construction easy - just close one roadway and set your crews up as you like. However, these are things you can also do when you have a single roadway with 6 lanes by partitioning off 3 of them... and you could easily have 7-8 lanes in the same ROW as 3/3.

A 4-lane directional roadway is the widest before per-lane capacities start declining as more lanes are added.  A 3x3 has significantly more capacity than a 6-lane roadway, and has operational advantages also.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on May 11, 2012, 09:49:16 PM
NJ Turnpike's 3/3/3/3 setup is mostly for roadway management. If you get an accident in one set of lanes, you can shift traffic over to the next set. It also makes overnight construction easy - just close one roadway and set your crews up as you like. However, these are things you can also do when you have a single roadway with 6 lanes by partitioning off 3 of them... and you could easily have 7-8 lanes in the same ROW as 3/3.

A 4-lane directional roadway is the widest before per-lane capacities start declining as more lanes are added.  A 3x3 has significantly more capacity than a 6-lane roadway, and has operational advantages also.
3x3 compared to 6, yes. What about 3x3 compared to 7? You'd have to be under 2,100 per lane with 7 lanes to dip below capacity with 3x3 if it's ideal (2400). And when you consider two shoulders plus guiderails, you could probably get 8 in there - I think it's no contest that 8 does better than 3x3.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2012, 12:20:18 AM
Quote from: Beltway on May 11, 2012, 09:49:16 PM

A 4-lane directional roadway is the widest before per-lane capacities start declining as more lanes are added.  A 3x3 has significantly more capacity than a 6-lane roadway, and has operational advantages also.
3x3 compared to 6, yes. What about 3x3 compared to 7? You'd have to be under 2,100 per lane with 7 lanes to dip below capacity with 3x3 if it's ideal (2400). And when you consider two shoulders plus guiderails, you could probably get 8 in there - I think it's no contest that 8 does better than 3x3.

But then you have the problem of how many lanes you need to cross to get to an exit, or how many lanes are between a vehicle and a shoulder.  With 4 lanes you have to cross at most one lane to get to a shoulder in an emergency, assuming that there is a full left shoulder.

If you need 8 lanes directional, it could be 4x4.

I would much rather see dual-divided for anything 10 lanes or wider.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2012, 01:26:24 PM

Not in the same ROW constraints.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2012, 01:29:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2012, 01:26:24 PM

Not in the same ROW constraints.

That assumes that there are such 'constraints'. 

Eight lanes with only 2 shoulders is not an efficient design.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2012, 01:39:26 PM

Well, yes I did make the assumption, since the post you were replying to gave ROW constraints:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2012, 02:44:57 PM

Well, yes I did make the assumption, since the post you were replying to gave ROW constraints:

A rather artificial constraint, as I don't know of any situation where such a decision needed to be made (8 lane roadway rather than 3x3).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2012, 06:03:25 PM

A rather artificial constraint, as I don't know of any situation where such a decision needed to be made (8 lane roadway rather than 3x3).
It's not artificial, I'm talking about a better use of the current 3x3 space as an 8 lane roadway. That's a very real constraint, even if the decision is not one that needs to be made.

blawp

Needs moar parclos in AZ. The diamonds are really inefficient.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2012, 07:22:53 PM
It's not artificial, I'm talking about a better use of the current 3x3 space as an 8 lane roadway. That's a very real constraint, even if the decision is not one that needs to be made.

I've never heard of any highway agency considering such a thing.  IMO it would be a monstrosity to put that many lanes on a directional roadway.

NJTP has already widened a long 3x3x3x3 section to 4x3x3x4, and could do more if needed.  That has more capacity than 8x8, and has operational advantages as well.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2012, 10:04:22 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2012, 07:22:53 PM

I've never heard of any highway agency considering such a thing.  IMO it would be a monstrosity to put that many lanes on a directional roadway.

NJTP has already widened a long 3x3x3x3 section to 4x3x3x4, and could do more if needed.  That has more capacity than 8x8, and has operational advantages as well.

The real point is, they don't need more capacity there, so it's a moot point. The 4x4 section was to add an HOV lane, the only one left in the state (and possibly on its way out) except for PANYNJ approaches. It actually necks to 3x3 at Interchange 13, so it's not all that much help anyway. The points that have been made about safety re: shoulder availability and number of lane changes are ones that stick with me.

SSOWorld

When I was in the Phoenix area last year, I took all three loops (starting with the partially constructed 303 that morning) and just plain gawked at the stacks.  I especially appreciated the stack when I went under it on I-17.  The short stack is nice too - but compare nothing to the SuperSanTan - red and all!  I was last in Phoenix as a kid in 1983(ish) and back then the Superstition freeway ended at Gilbert Road and was 2 or 3 lane nearly all the way - the short stack didn't exist and the Stack was not all there.  Now with 5-6 lane Superstition, all those loops and stacks - I just was plain amazed by the architecture. 

Phoenix grows out - not up, and the freeways accommodate for it.  They can build them that wide there unlike NYC, Chicago, Philly SureKill, Pittsburgh, etc.  Interchanges can be large enough to prevent traffic from slowing down as it transitions from road to road (just like Texas).  The freeways grew as the metro area grew so (IMO) the chance of NIMBYism was less (Though it does exist)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

qguy

Quote from: Master son on May 14, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
Phoenix grows out - not up...

Funny you should put it like that. One of the biggest reasons that Phoenix is threatening to overtake Philadelphia as the county's 5th largest city (although Phila did show growth in the 2010 census for the first time since 1950) is that it has been annexing neighboring populated land area. Philadelphia hasn't had that option since the 1850s (and probably wouldn't even want to do it now if it could).

Not that I'm complaining. If neighboring communities want to throw their lot in with Phoenix, that's their business.

blawp

The stacks in the inland empire are more impressive than the ones in Phoenix, a city that cannot comprehend a ParClo.

NE2

Quote from: blawp on May 15, 2012, 12:45:56 PM
The stacks in the inland empire are more impressive than the ones in Phoenix, a city that cannot comprehend a ParClo.
What the hell is wrong with you?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

blawp

Quote from: NE2 on May 15, 2012, 02:18:34 PM
Nope.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on May 15, 2012, 02:18:34 PM
He needs an 85 mph ride on I-366.

kphoger

:thumbdown:

(we need a shaking-my-head-in-disappointment emoticon)
Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2012, 08:05:39 PM

How about :no:?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on May 15, 2012, 09:56:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2012, 08:05:39 PM

How about :no:?

No, no, not all like that....  Or maybe.....  Exactly.
Male pronouns, please.

blawp

When the parclo at the 17 and Carefree Highway was built you would've thought ADOT landed someone on the moon with the way they were educating the public.

Post Merge: May 16, 2012, 06:50:16 PM

The hilarious thing about that parclo though is that they designed it so that it doesn't eliminate any phases from the signal. lol o ADOT.

Brandon

What.  The.  Fuck?

Dude, find yourself a parclo and a cheap motel room.  Diamonds work just fine for many applications (and to be honest, LA had a lot of them too, when I took I-5 through town).  As for stacks, a four-level stack is impressive whether it is in LA, Phoenix, Houston, or Detroit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

the thing Phoenix cannot comprehend is a single route number for the through highway.  I-10 and US-60 both exit off themselves at least once, and the only north-south route which is in any way "through" is I-17 and that ends as a staggeringly confusing square loop which somehow manages to intersect I-10 twice.

Phoenix's obsession with maintaining an almost completely rectilinear freeway grid leads to driver confusion.  what's wrong with a road that deviates 5 degrees from a pure cardinal direction, as opposed to making several sharp turns downtown?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Compulov

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2012, 06:27:21 PM
the thing Phoenix cannot comprehend is a single route number for the through highway.  I-10 and US-60 both exit off themselves at least once, and the only north-south route which is in any way "through" is I-17 and that ends as a staggeringly confusing square loop which somehow manages to intersect I-10 twice.

Phoenix's obsession with maintaining an almost completely rectilinear freeway grid leads to driver confusion.  what's wrong with a road that deviates 5 degrees from a pure cardinal direction, as opposed to making several sharp turns downtown?
Wouldn't that have more to do with when I-10 was built and the availability of land/right of way at that time? Where does I-10 exit off itself? I've driven that section of I-10 quite often (well often for someone who doesn't live in the area) and it always seemed fairly obvious to me that you were just taking a wide 90 degree curve rather than some sort of long ramp. I do agree that 90 degree turns are somewhat unusual for a freeway, though not unheard of. It *is* confusing as an out-of-towner when you're aiming to get back to the freeway from surface streets and don't recall if you need to head north or west (or south or east) to get back to I-10...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.