News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I don't think downtown Detroit would be better off if Interstate 375 were demolished. Personally, I would just reconstruct it mostly as-is.

ftballfan

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 27, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
MDOT's draft 5 year plan for 2016-2020 is out.

Interesting projects on the horizon:

- A reconstruction of I-94 through Jackson is scheduled for 2018, between M-60 and Sargent Rd. Given traffic counts and the list of bridges being replaced on the stretch, I can safely speculate that it would be 6-laned only between the US-127 North and US-127 South interchanges, reconstructing only the original 4 lanes east and west of there. There's preparatory work scheduled for key highways into and out of Jackson for 2016 and 2017.

- I-94 reconstruction in Detroit between Chene St (just E of I-75/I-375) and Connor Ave scheduled for 2018-2019.

- Bridge replacements on US-23 between M-14 and I-96, suggesting preparations are underway for 6-laning this stretch of freeway. Oddly, no mention of any widening or rehab of the US-23 mainline. EDIT: MDOT's current plan is to create a temporary third lane in the peak travel direction during rush hours, due to lack of funding for actual 6-laning.

- I-94 widening to 6-lanes between Portage Rd/Kilgore Rd and Sprinkle Rd in Kalamazoo.

- Two major projects on I-75 in Oakland County to either rehab or reconstruct the roadway

- Reconstruct/widen US-31 in Holland

- Reconstruction of portions of US-131 north of Grand Rapids

- Reconstruction of portions of I-475 in Flint.
The bridge replacements over 23 would save a little bit of $$$ when US-23 is finally six-laned from Brighton to Ann Arbor. Also, 94/127, being two freeways merged together, should have been six-laned years ago (heck, even 10/127 near Clare has been six lanes for years!)

wanderer2575

Very recently (as in, within the last few weeks), M-5 reassurance assemblies have appeared on Grand River Avenue between I-96/Schaefer Road and downtown Detroit, with an END M-5 assembly posted just before the the end of the state-maintained trunkline at Cass Avenue.  This stretch has been an unsigned trunkline for umpteen years (and even appears in "trunkline red" on all MDOT maps) but now either (1) someone made a mistake or (2) MDOT finally decided to stop screwing around and extend the M-5 designation, seeing as the road already is under its jurisdiction.

getemngo

This weekend, after clinching US 2 in Michigan, I noticed something peculiar about its mile markers. There are mile markers beginning at its western entrance near Ironwood, ascending as they go east, like they should. Eventually they disappear, I think somewhere in Iron County.

But then in Mackinac County, there are new mile markers that start at Mile 62 (the Mackinac-Schoolcraft county line) and count down as you head east, with Mile 1 appearing a mile before US 2's eastern terminus!

While I appreciate being able to know exactly how far from I-75 I am, the Mackinac County markers are numbered in the wrong direction. What happens if the eastern and western series of mile markers ever meet!?
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on August 01, 2016, 07:08:06 PM
While I appreciate being able to know exactly how far from I-75 I am, the Mackinac County markers are numbered in the wrong direction. What happens if the eastern and western series of mile markers ever meet!?
Annihilation. You end up with US 0.

Duke87

US 2's dip back into Wisconsin is in the way of that happening. Presumably the extensions of these systems would end on either side of such.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Duke87 on August 01, 2016, 08:59:21 PM

US 2's dip back into Wisconsin is in the way of that happening. Presumably the extensions of these systems would end on either side of such.

In 2004, I drove US 2 between Iron Mountain and Escanaba, and the milemarkers continued through Dickinson and Menominee counties based off the mileage from Ironwood, even accounting for the mileage from the dip back into Wisconsin.

getemngo

No solution for crumbling M-6, says concrete expert

It's the concrete section of M-6 from I-196 to Wilson Ave, built in 2004, that this article says needs help. I've heard through the grapevine (but not through any official sources) that MDOT cheaped out during construction and used a synthetic air entraining agent, which means the concrete doesn't have very good freeze/thaw resistance.

The eastern third of M-6, which is asphalt and built in 2001, has also had premature aging issues. (Yes, they built phase 1 with asphalt and switched to concrete for the rest!)
~ Sam from Michigan

The Ghostbuster

Can Michigan not build roads right the first time? This has happened to other Michigan roads in the past; e.g. Interstate 275.

JREwing78

New signage is going up on I-94 east of Benton Harbor to at least I-69. Oddly enough, most of that new signage appears to be in Clearview.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures. :(

bessertc

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 03, 2016, 09:08:53 PM
New signage is going up on I-94 east of Benton Harbor to at least I-69. Oddly enough, most of that new signage appears to be in Clearview.

I believe MDOT is replacing I-94 signage in Calhoun Co and in Berrien and Van Buren Cos. I work in Kalamazoo and I don't believe they're doing a comprehensive sign replacement in Kalamazoo County at this point, but I hear it may happen soon.
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

JREwing78

Quote from: bessertc on October 05, 2016, 08:48:09 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on October 03, 2016, 09:08:53 PM

I believe MDOT is replacing I-94 signage in Calhoun Co and in Berrien and Van Buren Cos. I work in Kalamazoo and I don't believe they're doing a comprehensive sign replacement in Kalamazoo County at this point, but I hear it may happen soon.

I drove through a couple weeks ago. I distinctly remember replacement signage being installed east of Sprinkle Rd, complete with new .2 mile milemarkers. They may not be replacing signage through the recently-constructed sections in Kalamazoo, but it's happening east of Sprinkle Rd.

Jericho That

Quote from: bessertc on October 05, 2016, 08:48:09 AM

I noticed new signposts on 131 north of I-94 last Sunday, but didn't see any on I-94 west of Sprinkle.

wanderer2575

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 27, 2016, 05:19:59 PM
Can Michigan not build roads right the first time? This has happened to other Michigan roads in the past; e.g. Interstate 275.

But...  they've learned so much since then!   :rolleyes:  They've said so on the Revive275.com website.

JREwing78

wanderer2575

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 27, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
MDOT's draft 5 year plan for 2016-2020 is out.

Interesting projects on the horizon:

- A reconstruction of I-94 through Jackson is scheduled for 2018, between M-60 and Sargent Rd. Given traffic counts and the list of bridges being replaced on the stretch, I can safely speculate that it would be 6-laned only between the US-127 North and US-127 South interchanges, reconstructing only the original 4 lanes east and west of there. There's preparatory work scheduled for key highways into and out of Jackson for 2016 and 2017.

MDOT replaced the bridges carrying US-127 over I-94 (eastern interchange) in 2014 but didn't replace the abutments and bridge columns to allow for future I-94 widening.  That pretty much told us right then there were no plans to widen.

OT:  MDOT didn't print the 2016 Paving the Way construction map for public distribution.  They printed a few copies for posting at rest areas, but otherwise it is available only online for viewing or printing it yourself.

JREwing78

2017 construction map: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_C_MapWeb-2011_350547_7.pdf

Be underwhelmed. Outside of metro Detroit, it's pretty light on actual construction work.

wanderer2575

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 07, 2017, 11:56:31 PM
2017 construction map: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_C_MapWeb-2011_350547_7.pdf

Be underwhelmed. Outside of metro Detroit, it's pretty light on actual construction work.

"#93:  I-696 -- Upgrade freeway signs 20.2 miles from I-275 to Dequindre Road."

Freaking waste.  Signs between I-275 and M-10 are only a dozen years old and in perfectly good condition.  Even the signs between M-10 and Dequindre, which are 20+ years old (Gothic-font BGSs) are in good condition. 

New BGSs started going up this past week.  Clearview font.  Raise your hand if you're surprised.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:08:57 PM
I don't think downtown Detroit would be better off if Interstate 375 were demolished. Personally, I would just reconstruct it mostly as-is.
No becasue all the land would just stay vacant like it did in Milwaukee. If it wasn't for the new Bucks arena who knows what would have happened. We already know that's not happening in Detroit becasue they are already getting a new arena as we speak.

Roadsguy

When MDOT reconstructed the approach to the Blue Water Bridge, they connected the original direct ramp to M-25 NB to the express lanes to Canada of I-94/69, however it's closed with no apparent plans to reopen it. Was closing it off one of the measures taken to reduce confusion between the local and international lanes, or is there another reason?

Street View doesn't show anything between 2008, which was way before the project, and 2013, when it was already at its current configuration.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

mhh

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 31, 2017, 12:35:16 AM
When MDOT reconstructed the approach to the Blue Water Bridge, they connected the original direct ramp to M-25 NB to the express lanes to Canada of I-94/69, however it's closed with no apparent plans to reopen it. Was closing it off one of the measures taken to reduce confusion between the local and international lanes, or is there another reason?

Street View doesn't show anything between 2008, which was way before the project, and 2013, when it was already at its current configuration.

MDOT caved in to downtown Port Huron business owners who complained that end-of-freeway traffic was funneled northward, away from downtown. It's supposedly easier for traffic to reach downtn now.

halork

From MDOT's Twitter:

SIGNS: US-2, M-28 in the UP will get new mile marker posts. Numbers run W to E, starting in Gogebic County. Installation planned this summer

wanderer2575

Quote from: mhh on March 31, 2017, 06:54:13 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on March 31, 2017, 12:35:16 AM

MDOT caved in to downtown Port Huron business owners who complained that end-of-freeway traffic was funneled northward, away from downtown. It's supposedly easier for traffic to reach downtn now.

There was supposed to be another phase following the I-69/I-94 reconstruction and widening:  Realignment of Pine Grove Avenue to the west along the old M-25 connector road and then east back to current alignment.  This was going to be done to provide room for expansion of the U.S. border crossing facilities.  I assumed that temporarily connecting this ramp to the new Canada-bound lanes (although keeping it blocked off) and not doing anything to rehabilitate/improve the bridge carrying westbound I-69/I-94 over that ramp was done because both would have been eliminated in the next phase of construction.  Due to cost considerations, Homeland Security called off the whole thing.

paulthemapguy

Question for everyone who's been to Mackinaw Island-- have you seen any M-185 signs posted?  If so, where on the island did you find them?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.