News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The official Massachusetts Route 2 improvement project thread

Started by massroadpatriot, November 11, 2012, 12:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massroadpatriot

So, this will be the official thread for all MA Route 2 improvements. From Crosby's Corner to the Concord Rotary, if anyone has any pictures that they would like to post, they can do so here.

It's also a place to talk about what should be done. Particularly with the route 2, 3, and 16 intersection at Alewife Brook Parkway. Any suggestions and updates regarding Alewife and Fresh Pond Parkway would be welcome. I know that the Alewife intersection was slated for an improvement in 2015 through the TIGER grant, but I'm not sure if anything is going to come about that (This is Massachusetts after all). I still see the ARRA signs on the islands posted.

I spoke with officials from MADOT at a forum in Lowell a while back and I hope to post the interview ASAP, and the Crosby's Corner project is apparently underway. I drove past there recently, and the commonwealth has already posted signs noting that the homes along Route 2 have been taken by eminent domain. Hopefully I can snap those pics the next time I down there.

Here's a link to a pic I took today of the latest Crosby's Corner Construction. Only one. I have more fortunately.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdm312/

massroadpatriot

Alps

massroadpatriot

jeffandnicole

Alps

Pete from Boston

I was out there for the first time in many months yesterday.  Wow!  Lots and lots of ROW cleared, some minimal grading, and many sections of drainpipe all about.  If you live in these parts it really is one of those "I'll only believe it when I see it" forever-just-over-the-horizon projects, and now I've seen it with my own eyes and believe.  Now if they could just get rid of the rest of those damn lights...

Alps

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2013, 07:29:17 PM
http://www.concordma.gov/pages/ConcordMA_PublicWorks/Crosbys_corner
Good to know, I will be driving along MA 2 early Saturday afternoon so I'll get a chance to see the construction up close & personal... as long as the slow-down isn't a gridlock situation by then.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 10, 2013, 08:32:14 PM
Good to know, I will be driving along MA 2 early Saturday afternoon so I'll get a chance to see the construction up close & personal... as long as the slow-down isn't a gridlock situation by then.
That doesn't sound particularly pleasant. If I were up there, I'd try to avoid the area during weekends (10 AM-8 PM) and commute periods.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 05:42:26 PM
That doesn't sound particularly pleasant. If I were up there, I'd try to avoid the area during weekends (10 AM-8 PM) and commute periods.
That's why, prior to heading out in that area, one either can check for current conditions at
http://boston.cbslocal.com/traffic/

Or listen (as I mentioned to HB in his road trip thread) to traffic reports every 10 minutes on either on the 3s WBZ (AM 1030) or on the 1s on Sirrius/XM 132.

Judging from the map and hearing traffic reports in the not-too-distant past.  While conditions on MA 2 doesn't get reported as frequently as the other highways in the area; if there's a major slowdown (i.e. gridlock) in that area due to construction, I'm sure it would get reported.

Note: when I first checked (5:30 PM, June 13) the conditions map on the web-link, most of the majors were shown in red due to rain-related slowdowns & rush-hour traffic.  MA 2 in the construction area shows up as a pale green (40-45 mph range).  Although further west (vicinity of the MA 62 jct.), MA 2 West is shown in red (0-15 mph) for a stretch; but that's not related to the construction project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 13, 2013, 05:35:50 PM
Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 05:42:26 PM
That's why, prior to heading out in that area, one either can check for current conditions at
http://boston.cbslocal.com/traffic/

Or listen (as I mentioned to HB in his road trip thread) to traffic reports every 10 minutes on either on the 3s WBZ (AM 1030) or on the 1s on Sirrius/XM 132.

Judging from the map and hearing traffic reports in the not-too-distant past.  While conditions on MA 2 doesn't get reported as frequently as the other highways in the area; if there's a major slowdown (i.e. gridlock) in that area due to construction, I'm sure it would get reported.

Yeah... good luck with that. My experience in Boston and NYC is that typical slowdown spots aren't mentioned. After the first 2-3 weeks of construction, they won't keep saying every day "remember that there's road work outside Concord, allow extra time," but the delays will still be there. 15-20 minute delays are very possible without being reported - I just sat through one today that skipped 1010 AM and the FM stations I was listening to.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on June 13, 2013, 09:27:00 PMYeah... good luck with that. My experience in Boston and NYC is that typical slowdown spots aren't mentioned. After the first 2-3 weeks of construction, they won't keep saying every day "remember that there's road work outside Concord, allow extra time," but the delays will still be there. 15-20 minute delays are very possible without being reported - I just sat through one today that skipped 1010 AM and the FM stations I was listening to.
Slowdowns due to construction not always being reported, you're right.  Gridlock conditions (red zones on the earlier web-linked map) due to such construction will more likely (not necessarily guarantee) get reported.

Also, although I reside in the Philly area; not only am I originally a native of the Greater Boston area, I still make the trek up to the Bay State quite often (to visit family) several times a year... usually on holiday weekends.  That said, the usual, major problem areas do get reported on a more frequent basis.  Other areas, outside of an abnormal event, not so much.

BTW, I will be more than happy to post a brief trip report sometime next week to confirm any findings.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on June 13, 2013, 09:27:00 PM
Yeah... good luck with that. My experience in Boston and NYC is that typical slowdown spots aren't mentioned.

Presuming you have the right kind of smartphone (I run it on my old Samsung tablet (Android OS)), this works pretty well:  Inrix Traffic App
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Trip Update/Report:  I drove through the construction area this past Saturday (6/15) at around 4 PM.  There wasn't any construction activity taking place and the mainline MA 2 corridor hasn't really been impacted by the construction as of yet.  The majority of the construction work limits is presently alongside and away from the existing roadway.  One can see the early stages of newly placed embankment for the future mainline MA 2 just south of the eastbound lanes.

Long story short: I was able to pass through at or even slightly above the posted 45 mph speed limit (which is the normal posted limit for the area as opposed to a Work Zone limit).  I was also fortunate enough not to even encounter a red light at the intersection.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Somehow, MA 2 got downgraded on Google Maps. West of 128, it's not a freeway anymore; it's just light orange. Even with the exit numbers. Not only that, but it's white in Concord.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

I am wondering if they have plans to eliminate the at grade intersections near Fitchburg?  One of them is partially signalized, as I read on Wikipedia and saw on GSV.  Also if the super two near Athol is ever going to be widened to full freeway as well?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

massroadpatriot

Quote from: roadman65 on August 11, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
I am wondering if they have plans to eliminate the at grade intersections near Fitchburg?  One of them is partially signalized, as I read on Wikipedia and saw on GSV.  Also if the super two near Athol is ever going to be widened to full freeway as well?

Not sure about Fitchburg, but given the recent bridge replacements out in Phillipston and Orange, I highly doubt that any widening past Exit-19 is realistic for the time being. With that said, I was out there two weeks ago to see my chick up in Brattleboro and there was some minor shoulder widening between Orange and Athol. It was choppy at best, but it made a world a difference from the many times I would travel out there from school.

deathtopumpkins

The partially-signalized intersection near Fitchburg is, as far as I can tell, not actually signal-controlled. The signal over the WB lanes has been converted to a flasher, and the one over the EB lanes is a perpetual green. Since the intersection I'd a minor RIRO. This works fine.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ne11931

A message board on Route 2 eastbound at Crosby Corner today (5/17/15) stated that on Thursday 5/21 a traffic shift will take place. It looks to me that eastbound traffic will shift to the road which will eventually be the eastbound service road, allowing the west end tie in of the main line to be constructed which is on a higher elevation.

ne11931

The latest traffic shift (6/19/15)  has some big changes. Westbound traffic is now running over the new bridge but using what will be the future eastbound roadway, no more traffic signal westbound!  However Route 2 eastbound roadway (future service road) now has a traffic light at the future service rd/ Rt 2A intersection!!  I hope everyone can get handle this temporary alignment before there's a bad accident. Rt 2A to westbound 2 traffic uses a portion of old 2 east up the hill with a 180 turn which gets them headed west. You really need to see this to get the layout.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ne11931 on June 22, 2015, 09:12:37 PM
You beat me to the punch.  I drove that stretch of Route 2 (both directions) this past Saturday (6/20) and encountered the described-changes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DJStephens

Quote from: 1 on August 10, 2013, 12:26:41 PM
Somehow, MA 2 got downgraded on Google Maps. West of 128, it's not a freeway anymore; it's just light orange. Even with the exit numbers. Not only that, but it's white in Concord.

It never was.  The alignment that exists EAST of Rte. 128 (upgraded mid sixties) should have been continued westward to just west of Reformatory circle in the mid seventies.    They (MassHighway) did finally erect jersey barriers in the middle of the undivided four lane cross section of Rt. 2 in Lincoln / Concord perhaps twenty years ago.  But they did not remove any of the signalized crossings.   Or the rotary near the jail.   Wonder how many have been killed in head on and in or other collisions along this antiquated highway in the last forty years?   Amazing that actually something is finally being done to this section at all.

ne11931

I noticed the other day that the off ramp from 2 West to 2A--Cambridge Turnpike is now signed as exit 50. The nearest numbered exits are 43 at Rt 111 in Acton and 52 at Rt 95 in Lexington. All signalized intersections are not numbered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.