News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where do we need interstates?

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: SP Cook on April 25, 2017, 12:04:42 PM
Since this old thread is back, IMHO:

...I-10 somewhere just west of Jacksonville to I-75 near Gainesville...

What do you mean by this?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

formulanone

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 25, 2017, 01:43:48 PM

Probably because there's more land around the US 301 corridor, and having it radiate directly from the Jacksonville area would destroy homes/neighborhoods/businesses. Something that ties into FL 23 might work.

Starke would need a bypass. There's not much to bypass Waldo and Lawtey, but they'd probably get one too. How to get it to go around Gainesville (likely skirting the southern city borders via FL 331 - ??? - FL 24) would be the tricky part.

sparker

A few off the top of my head:
     (1)  US 395 between Kennewick and Ritzville, WA.
     (2)  CA 58 between I-5 nr. Buttonwillow, CA and I-15 at Barstow (duh!)
     (3)  Either US 290 or TX 71 between Austin and Houston or Columbus, TX
     (4)  US 24 between Ft. Wayne, IN and Toledo, OH
     (5a)  US 80 between Cuba, AL and Montgomery, AL
     (5b)  US 80/GA 96 between I-85 and Macon, GA
     (6a)  US 74 between I-26 and I-85, NC
     (6b)  US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham, NC

The OP did specify need, not want, right?  Just filling in gaps on potential projects not yet on the proposed Interstate radar.  Question:  why isn't this thread in Fictional? 

hotdogPi

Quote from: sparker on April 25, 2017, 09:47:26 PM
The OP did specify need, not want, right?  Just filling in gaps on potential projects not yet on the proposed Interstate radar.  Question:  why isn't this thread in Fictional?

Probably because it was created on the fourth day of the forum's existence.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

sparker

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2017, 09:53:31 PM

Probably because it was created on the fourth day of the forum's existence.

Damn good reason!  At this juncture, if the mods want to move it after 8 years (or not), no issue! 

Broadway Extension

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is creating a Denver-Dallas link via Oklahoma City

sparker

Quote from: Broadway Extension on April 26, 2017, 12:18:35 AM
One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is creating a Denver-Dallas link via Oklahoma City

Since I-35/35E provides a direct OKC-Dallas link, wouldn't that simply be a Denver-OKC link?  That's been discussed at length in regional and/or fictional threads; whether there's a need that isn't addressed by a 70/135/35/35E routing hasn't, AFAIK, been definitely determined as of yet. 

Roadgeekteen

A few off the top of my head:
     (1)  US 395 between Kennewick and Ritzville, WA.
     (2)  CA 58 between I-5 nr. Buttonwillow, CA and I-15 at Barstow (duh!)
     (3)  Either US 290 or TX 71 between Austin and Houston or Columbus, TX
     (5a)  US 80 between Cuba, AL and Montgomery, AL
     (5b)  US 80/GA 96 between I-85 and Macon, GA
     (6a)  US 74 between I-26 and I-85, NC
     (6b)  US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham, NC

a link between Macon and I-85 is interesting, not really proposed that much.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: formulanone on April 25, 2017, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 25, 2017, 01:43:48 PM

Probably because there's more land around the US 301 corridor, and having it radiate directly from the Jacksonville area would destroy homes/neighborhoods/businesses. Something that ties into FL 23 might work.

Starke would need a bypass. There's not much to bypass Waldo and Lawtey, but they'd probably get one too. How to get it to go around Gainesville (likely skirting the southern city borders via FL 331 - ??? - FL 24) would be the tricky part.

Do you mean it would start west of Jacksonville instead of in Jax itself?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

sparker

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2017, 08:03:41 AM
a link between Macon and I-85 is interesting, not really proposed that much.

Actually, that corridor's been on the radar (as High Priority Corridor #6) since the '91 ISTEA legislation.  The GA portion, largely GA 96, which parallels US 80 several miles to the south, has been improved over the past couple of decades to expressway standards under the GRIP (GA's interregional highway improvement plan) aegis.  Not much has been done in AL, though, as it seems the Montgomery Outer Loop, the sole active project on this corridor in that state, has just been officially "back-burnered" due to fiscal shortfall and/or state re-prioritization.  It's unlikely that any east-west corridor along or paralleling US 80 will be addressed beyond what's already on the ground until such time as discretionary funds become available for such things (and I wouldn't hold my breath!).   

WhitePoleRD

Quote from: GaryV on April 22, 2017, 06:19:48 PM
Since Roadgeekteen revived this 8 year old thread, I read through it.

I notice NO ONE proposed any Interstate along the I-2 corridor or the proposed(?) I-14 corridor in Texas.   Hmmm....

That's because it was deemed unnecessary by, well...everyone.

Also, I might add:
State governments- "One continuous I-69 may be nice in the future but is not feasible now."
Texas- "ONE I-69? Hold my beer."
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

WhitePoleRD

I-435 in Des Moines on the 5/65 Beltway

I-37 on the Avenue of the Saints between Mason City/Clear Lake and St. Louis (renumber 37 in Texas)

Reroute 80 onto 280 and 74 onto 80 in the QC, and make 74 into 174.

Extend the Sioux City beltway into South Dakota and make it I-429

I agree with NE 2, make it I-329
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

kphoger

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on May 03, 2017, 10:28:32 AM

This is already a full freeway.  Why does it need to be an Interstate?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2017, 12:49:09 PM

Why can it not become an interstate? The interstate is a national system, if it fits it's fine.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

I'm not fully convinced that this is *needed* but enough of the route is already at interstate standard or in the process of becoming interstate standard that it might be worth finishing it off.

I-67 from I-65 at Bowling Green, KY, via the Natcher Parkway to Owensboro, KY; via US 231 to Scotland, IN; via I-69 to Indianapolis, IN; via US 31 to Holland, MI; via I-169 to Grand Rapids, MI, at I-96
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2017, 01:32:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2017, 12:49:09 PM

Why can it not become an interstate? The interstate is a national system, if it fits it's fine.

OK, then...

ALL freeways.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

On Phillyroads.com I found a page talking about the crossings from Cape May-Lewis and Sea Breeze-Woodland Beach. Now I understand that the areas where highways would have to be formed are rural, but the potential the surrounding land has, and more access freeing up I-95 traffic and also creating roads. http://www.phillyroads.com/crossings/delaware-bay/
Promoting Cities since 1998!

sparker

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2017, 02:09:00 PM
I'm not fully convinced that this is *needed* but enough of the route is already at interstate standard or in the process of becoming interstate standard that it might be worth finishing it off.

I-67 from I-65 at Bowling Green, KY, via the Natcher Parkway to Owensboro, KY; via US 231 to Scotland, IN; via I-69 to Indianapolis, IN; via US 31 to Holland, MI; via I-169 to Grand Rapids, MI, at I-96

Congratulations!  You've just passed the test for spokesperson for the Mayor of Owensboro!  (he's been touting that very concept for several years now!)  Personally, I don't think there's much of a chance that, despite the freeway or near-freeway portion south of I-64, an Interstate would be developed along US 231 from Owensboro to I-69; doesn't serve enough of a population base (but don't tell the Mayor that!) to warrant the expense.  I'm just surprised that he (or one of his in-state KY cohorts) hasn't suggested something like I-63 for the combination of the Natcher and Audubon parkways, of course connected by Bypass 60 around Owensboro.  With some upgrading, US 231 could conceivably be an x63 as far north as I-64 -- but that's about as far as that concept would get.  I know there are nascent plans for 3di's along both parkways; just wonder how a potential 2di designation got past his attention (given his past record!)  Maybe in shooting for a home run he forgot that you can also help your team with a single!

thenetwork

I still want to see an interstate, or at least a dedicated, four-lane, divided , high speed corridor between east-central Utah (I-70/Moab/Green River area) and Flagstaff, AZ that also heads northwest to SLC.

Current traffic counts probaby do not warrant it, but if built, I could see  it draw more traffic if it avoids having long-distance traffic use the longer I-25/I-40 route between Denver and Flagstaff or I-25/I-10 route between Denver and Phoenix/Tucson.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on May 03, 2017, 10:07:46 PM
I still want to see an interstate, or at least a dedicated, four-lane, divided , high speed corridor between east-central Utah (I-70/Moab/Green River area) and Flagstaff, AZ that also heads northwest to SLC.

Current traffic counts probaby do not warrant it, but if built, I could see  it draw more traffic if it avoids having long-distance traffic use the longer I-25/I-40 route between Denver and Flagstaff or I-25/I-10 route between Denver and Phoenix/Tucson.

I'm not seeing a route that doesn't plow through any of the many national and state parks and monuments in the region or the Navaho or Hopi reservations.

roadman65

We need one in the Delmarva, but many of us veterans here know that is impossible, especially Virginia on its eastern shore.

From Harrisburg to Williamsport in PA, as the Greater Buffalo and Rochester areas could use a more direct link to the south including some Mid Atlantic areas like Baltimore, Washington, and Northern VA. That would allow continuous travel between those two regions that currently have none.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

The "Port to Fort" (or was it "Fort to Port") upgrade that opened a few years back is quite sufficient whenever I've been through there. (Except for the traffic light at the west end.  Why no full intersection?)  Some sections are full freeway; others are divided with 65 mph speed limits. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.