News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: SectorZ on July 27, 2017, 05:43:44 PM
Good lord, they renamed the thing? Ridiculous...

Just as ridiculous as renaming the Triboro.

Roadsguy

Do people even use the new names, or do they stick to the old ones?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cl94

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 27, 2017, 11:53:47 PM

New names are very rarely used in practice anywhere in the state. I mean, every Hudson River crossing from NYC to Albany has an "official" name that is never used as well. I don't need any hands to count the number of times I have heard someone refer to the "Hamilton Fish Bridge".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ixnay

Traffic reporters on WCBS-AM have referred to the "RFK" or "RFK Triboro" ever since Bobby's name went on it.  I imagine they'll use Cuomo's name for the new Tapp.

Between Philadelphia and Camden, what is now the Benjamin Franklin Bridge was called the Delaware River Bridge from its opening in 1926 until its renaming in 1956 to mark Ben's 250th birthday.  I wasn't alive for either the renaming or the opening, and I've always known it with Ben's name, so I don't know how long it took for people to take to the new name.

OTOH I was 18 years old in 1979 when the Penrose Ave. Bridge between PHL Airport and the refinery area was renamed the George C. Platt Bridge.  That name caught on quickly.

ixnay

dgolub

Quote from: ixnay on July 28, 2017, 06:15:38 AM
Traffic reporters on WCBS-AM have referred to the "RFK" or "RFK Triboro" ever since Bobby's name went on it.  I imagine they'll use Cuomo's name for the new Tapp.

ixnay

With that one, they've been gradually changing the signage to say RFK only.  You'll find only so many signs that say Triboro anymore, and in 5-10 years they'll presumably all be gone.

bzakharin

Between Philadelphia and Camden, what is now the Benjamin Franklin Bridge was called the Delaware River Bridge from its opening in 1926 until its renaming in 1956 to mark Ben's 250th birthday.  I wasn't alive for either the renaming or the opening, and I've always known it with Ben's name, so I don't know how long it took for people to take to the new name.

OTOH I was 18 years old in 1979 when the Penrose Ave. Bridge between PHL Airport and the refinery area was renamed the George C. Platt Bridge.  That name caught on quickly.

ixnay
The Delaware River Bridge is just too vague these days. In fact, it was changed due to the Walt Whitman Bridge being opened around that time. And that name went to the Turnpike Bridge, also constructed around the same time. Of course no one ever uses that name outside the NJTA and PTC for the same reason.

SidS1045

Quote from: dgolub on July 28, 2017, 07:42:24 AMthey've been gradually changing the signage to say RFK only.  You'll find only so many signs that say Triboro anymore, and in 5-10 years they'll presumably all be gone.

Agreed, but I think it's doubtful that will change New Yorkers' habits.  For as long as I can remember, the street signs on the Manhattan avenue between Fifth and Seventh have always said "Avenue of the Americas," a name so resolutely rejected by New Yorkers that the city finally caved and posted a second street sign saying "6 AV" below the Avenue of the Americas ones.  No doubt "Avenue of the Americas" was confusing tourists and transplants as well, especially if they were to ask a New Yorker for directions.

Of course, if they wanted to, they could keep the old and the new together, as in the officially-named "Ed Koch Queensborough Bridge," although that doesn't tend to change the habits of the real old-timers who still call it the 59th Street Bridge.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

dgolub

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 31, 2017, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: dgolub on July 28, 2017, 07:42:24 AMthey've been gradually changing the signage to say RFK only.  You'll find only so many signs that say Triboro anymore, and in 5-10 years they'll presumably all be gone.

Agreed, but I think it's doubtful that will change New Yorkers' habits.  For as long as I can remember, the street signs on the Manhattan avenue between Fifth and Seventh have always said "Avenue of the Americas," a name so resolutely rejected by New Yorkers that the city finally caved and posted a second street sign saying "6 AV" below the Avenue of the Americas ones.  No doubt "Avenue of the Americas" was confusing tourists and transplants as well, especially if they were to ask a New Yorker for directions.

Of course, if they wanted to, they could keep the old and the new together, as in the officially-named "Ed Koch Queensborough Bridge," although that doesn't tend to change the habits of the real old-timers who still call it the 59th Street Bridge.

If only they'd give in and include "Triboro" on the signage again!

mariethefoxy

Only one I know of that was adopted pretty quick was the Jackie Robinson Parkway.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 01, 2017, 12:32:57 AM

Only one I know of that was adopted pretty quick was the Jackie Robinson Parkway.

I know a lot of people who still call it the Interboro, including myself.

Of course, the Willowbrook & Richmond parkways were renamed 20 years ago this year. The signs are still up and no one still calls them by their new names.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

ixnay

Quote from: bzakharin on July 31, 2017, 10:48:40 AM

ixnay
The Delaware River Bridge is just too vague these days. In fact, it was changed due to the Walt Whitman Bridge being opened around that time. And that name went to the Turnpike Bridge, also constructed around the same time. Of course no one ever uses that name outside the NJTA and PTC for the same reason.

Traffic reporters on KYW tend to call the Turnpike Bridge the "PA Turnpike - New Jersey Turnpike Connector Bridge" or a variation thereof.

ixnay

MikeCL

I forgot where but one of the signs as far as I know is still up still refers the bridge as the Triborough I wish I could remember where but you sure can't miss it

longhorn

The Nature Boy

Renaming the bridge honestly sucks for out of state traffic or people who don't visit the area often. The Tappan Zee is reasonably well known so I can imagine a lot of people being confused when they're driving towards what they think is the Tappan Zee only to see signs for the Cuomo Bridge.

Whenever I drive back up from visiting family from the South, I end up taking the Tappan Zee over the GW and I tell family to do the same. I'll have to make sure that they know that when they see the Mario Cuomo Bridge that it's just the new Tappan Zee.

As an aside, the Tappan Zee was named for the Native Americans who inhabited the area, the Tappan people. It's a shame to see that name go away.

shadyjay

The "Tappan Zee Bridge" has become a control point in its own right.  Signage on I-95 in Rye (and two in CT) advertise it on the primary guide signs, and it's on "after-exit" mileage signs on the Thruway. 

Maybe it should be called the "Governor Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge", advertised on the signs on either end of the span.  It's no different than the present name "Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge", and it still puts the Cuomo name on the new bridge.  Or are they really going to change all the advance signage up to 15 miles away to "Cuomo Bridge"?  That'd confuse people, for sure.

dgolub

Quote from: shadyjay on August 25, 2017, 05:45:40 PM
Maybe it should be called the "Governor Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge", advertised on the signs on either end of the span.  It's no different than the present name "Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge", and it still puts the Cuomo name on the new bridge.  Or are they really going to change all the advance signage up to 15 miles away to "Cuomo Bridge"?  That'd confuse people, for sure.

Unfortunately, that's what they've been doing with the RFK Bridge (I-278), formerly the Triboro Bridge.  It's almost ten years since it was renamed and some of the signs still have yet to be replaced, but they have been gradually changing them.  It's ridiculous.

I-39

Are they shifting all traffic onto the new WB bridge and closing the existing one?

davewiecking

Shifting in stages, yes. WB traffic over the weekend; EB traffic soon. EB bridge opening next year.

cl94

WB traffic moves over tonight. For all I know, it may have moved already.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

davewiecking

ixnay

Michael

First Cuomo Signs, now a Cuomo Bridge!  This article says "Eventually, the Thruway Authority will give away parts of the old bridge's deck and its moveable barrier system."  I guess you could get a souvenir if you wanted!

cl94

I took a video from my phone while it was mounted on the dashboard today while crossing the new bridge. I'm not a huge video person and I don't have proper in-car recording equipment, so excuse the poor quality.

Alps

Quote from: Michael on August 26, 2017, 07:13:26 PM
First Cuomo Signs, now a Cuomo Bridge!  This article says "Eventually, the Thruway Authority will give away parts of the old bridge's deck and its moveable barrier system."  I guess you could get a souvenir if you wanted!
I want one of the truss members that's at least partially not rusted through.

kalvado

Quote from: Michael on August 26, 2017, 07:13:26 PM
I read about deck panels being eventually available for maintenance of other bridges. Not as backyard decorations...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.