News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2017, 05:05:04 PM
Then there's the fact that "EAST" should be to the right of the shield on the main sign as well.

Any references I found in the MUTCD just state that the cardinal direction must be placed adjacent to the shield, and doesn't specify right or left side. (It's worth noting, however, that virtually every MUTCD image shows the cardinal direction to the right of the shield if it's not above the shield.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadfro on August 22, 2017, 03:50:20 PM
Then there's the fact that "EAST" should be to the right of the shield on the main sign as well.

Any references I found in the MUTCD just state that the cardinal direction must be placed adjacent to the shield, and doesn't specify right or left side. (It's worth noting, however, that virtually every MUTCD image shows the cardinal direction to the right of the shield if it's not above the shield.)

Michigan's current practice is to place the cardinal direction to the left of the shield at a left exit or left fork of an exit ramp, and to the right of the shield at a right exit or right fork of an exit ramp:

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 22, 2017, 10:31:43 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 22, 2017, 03:50:20 PM

Michigan's current practice is to place the cardinal direction to the left of the shield at a left exit or left fork of an exit ramp, and to the right of the shield at a right exit or right fork of an exit ramp:

A lot of states are doing that now -- Ohio and Colorado are 2 of them off hand.

jakeroot

While I like this practice for the symmetry it produces, it does seem odd to me that they would create a situation where you'd either say "East ninety-four" or "ninety-four West".

Max Rockatansky

One of the new M-22 shields lacking the "M."

IMG_4272 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Personally I think the numeral font looks terrible enlarged to fill out the shield and without the block "M."   It looks like something you'd get in a cheesy gift shop.

formulanone

Kansas is usually extremely consistent...but this I-35 photo (from February 2014) has a hasty "cLosed" mock-up in the style of Craig County, OK:

I suppose there was no other way to make the height of a lower case "l" fit on that strip, so it makes sense.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: formulanone on August 23, 2017, 11:08:51 AM
Kansas is usually extremely consistent...but this I-35 photo (from February 2014) has a hasty CLOSED mock-up in the style of Craig County, OK:

I suppose there was no other way to make the height of a lower case "l" fit on that strip, so it makes sense.

Dear God, the craIG coUntY virus has invaded Kansas.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

tckma

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 23, 2017, 06:07:44 AM

It seems that NC-22 has been extended into Michigan.

Brandon

Kansas is usually extremely consistent...but this I-35 photo (from February 2014) has a hasty "cLosed" mock-up in the style of Craig County, OK:

But why use a lower case "d"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

The L is the offender. C, O, and S can be either, and fixing the L would match lowercase e and d. Changing d to uppercase would also require changing e.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on August 23, 2017, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

The L is the offender. C, O, and S can be either, and fixing the L would match lowercase e and d. Changing d to uppercase would also require changing e.

My question was more to the effect of that fact that a lowercase "d" also extends upward, like the lowercase "l".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

wanderer2575

IMG_4272 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Personally I think the numeral font looks terrible enlarged to fill out the shield and without the block "M."   It looks like something you'd get in a cheesy gift shop.

That might be exactly the idea -- make them look bad enough and people won't want to steal them.  Though I'm not sure how well that's working out.

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 26, 2017, 06:12:42 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4353/36631358086_cb7e89e7e7_k.jpg

That might be exactly the idea -- make them look bad enough and people won't want to steal them.  Though I'm not sure how well that's working out.

That's exactly the point. They dropped the "M" intentionally, to make the signs less appealing: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/08/mdot.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on August 27, 2017, 01:58:44 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 26, 2017, 06:12:42 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4353/36631358086_cb7e89e7e7_k.jpg

That's exactly the point. They dropped the "M" intentionally, to make the signs less appealing: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/08/mdot.html

Here's the thing about the Leelanau Peninsula, every damn corner has an M-22 shield on it.  I struggle to think of a route that had so many reassurance shields, no joke it really is almost at every single street that intersects the highway.  Maybe MDOT ought that have considered yanking some of those reassurance shields and leaving them at major junctions and proper reassurance locations?  Incidentally the gift shops and businesses are already selling merchandise with the new design, there is even a guy on eBay that sells full size replicas.

empirestate

Quote from: tckma on August 20, 2017, 06:20:18 PM
Quote from: plain on August 20, 2017, 12:32:37 PM
It looks almost Maryland-like sans the colors. Where's this sign anyway?

I'm going to guess Massachusetts.  They have an I-290, and a boring square shape for their state route shields.  But the "290" is not big enough.

Could also be Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, or Montana.  Other states that I-90 passes through (and therefore could have an I-290), and have a boring square shape for state highway shields.

Most likely would be Bikini Bottom.

silverback1065

That's exactly why there is no M, to prevent theft. 

tchafe1978

I must be missing something. What's the attraction of M-22 signs anyways? I'll probably feel dumb after hearing the answer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 28, 2017, 04:14:40 PM
I must be missing something. What's the attraction of M-22 signs anyways? I'll probably feel dumb after hearing the answer.

Very scenic highway along the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan, probably the best in that regard in the entire state...or at least the Lower Peninsula.  There is a huge glut of reassurance shields on almost every major cross street on the Leelanau Peninsula which has been encouraging theft.  MDOT seems to think that taking the "M" from the shield will deter theft instead of yanking the reassurance shields where they don't need to be.  Have a look for yourself, I did a photo-clinch of M-22 on this recent trip and caught many of the reassurance shields in question.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/aey6Y8

For what its worth I'm leaning towards M-26 beating out M-22 on this recent trip, but I'm kind of a history buff so the abandoned mining towns really spice things up for me.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadfro on August 22, 2017, 03:50:20 PMAny references I found in the MUTCD just state that the cardinal direction must be placed adjacent to the shield, and doesn't specify right or left side. (It's worth noting, however, that virtually every MUTCD image shows the cardinal direction to the right of the shield if it's not above the shield.)
Diagrammatic signs, including ones shown in MUTCD images, all show direction cardinals placed to the left of a route shield for left-side movements (be it for an exit or for through-traffic).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

silverback1065

you need to drive it, it's a great road! lots of scenic views, great cities, and beautiful forests!

tchafe1978

Thanks for the response. I thought it might have something to do with something unique about the signs or a reference to something else I wasn't aware of.

LGL56VL

roadfro

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 28, 2017, 05:16:01 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 22, 2017, 03:50:20 PMAny references I found in the MUTCD just state that the cardinal direction must be placed adjacent to the shield, and doesn't specify right or left side. (It's worth noting, however, that virtually every MUTCD image shows the cardinal direction to the right of the shield if it's not above the shield.)
Diagrammatic signs, including ones shown in MUTCD images, all show direction cardinals placed to the left of a route shield for left-side movements (be it for an exit or for through-traffic).
Missed the diagrammatic signs, so I'll give you that. But everything else appears to put direction cardinals to the right of a shield (when not on top), even with left-side movements in other situations. So there is no real standard.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2017, 04:30:17 PM

Very scenic highway along the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan, probably the best in that regard in the entire state...or at least the Lower Peninsula.  There is a huge glut of reassurance shields on almost every major cross street on the Leelanau Peninsula which has been encouraging theft.  MDOT seems to think that taking the "M" from the shield will deter theft instead of yanking the reassurance shields where they don't need to be.  Have a look for yourself, I did a photo-clinch of M-22 on this recent trip and caught many of the reassurance shields in question.

For what its worth I'm leaning towards M-26 beating out M-22 on this recent trip, but I'm kind of a history buff so the abandoned mining towns really spice things up for me.

Much agreed.  I'd rather have M-26 than M-22 any day of the week.  I'd love to find an M-26 shirt like those M-22 ones.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2017, 04:30:17 PM

Much agreed.  I'd rather have M-26 than M-22 any day of the week.  I'd love to find an M-26 shirt like those M-22 ones.

I've been putting bids in on all those M-26 shields that keep popping up on eBay.  I might be willing to overreach to get one.  I found an M-22 about a year ago but I sold it to my brother-in-law.  I would argue the segment of M-26 from Copper Harbor to Phoenix beats any scenery on M-22. 

7/8

Acorn shields for US 11/15 in Harrisburg, PA area along Cumberland Blvd. Each side of the road had the same ugly sign :pan:

Left side

Right side

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.