Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

I think the FYA is making its way into South Carolina, I think I saw one in the Blythewood area off I-77, although I'm not sure.

codyg1985

ALDOT is now going to install its first FYA in the Birmingham area along US 280 at Overton Road. Huntsville has the first FYA signals in Alabama, but this will be the first one that will be installed on an ALDOT-maintained road.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/12/us_280_eastbound_flashing_yell.html
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mjb2002

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 21, 2014, 06:40:02 PM
I think the FYA is making its way into South Carolina, I think I saw one in the Blythewood area off I-77, although I'm not sure.

It made its way here on May 29, 2013. Here's my comment about the FYA in S.C.:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2983.msg224221#msg224221

jdb1234

It's amazing what you find in Mountain Brook these days:

This is supposed to be the first FYA in Birmingham.

1995hoo

We are at my sister-in-law's house in Florida and there's a flashing yellow arrow at the light outside her neighborhood that wasn't here last June. Big improvement over the old light, which allowed a left turn into the neighborhood ONLY on a green arrow and had a very long light cycle.

Odd thing is, there's no sign of any kind saying anything like "Yield on [flashing yellow]" or some such–just the flashing arrow. I haven't seen enough of them around Florida to know whether that's the norm here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

M3019C LPS20

codyg1985

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on December 23, 2014, 12:57:42 AM
I like that U-Turn signal next to it.

That was installed recently as part of an access management project along US 280. There are quite a few Michigan left, and a lot of instances where side roads must either turn left or right at a signal but can't go straight through the intersection;.  I think it has improved traffic flow along the road, and ALDOT is preparing a similar project for US 72 West in Huntsville/Madison.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 23, 2014, 06:33:43 AM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on December 23, 2014, 12:57:42 AM
I like that U-Turn signal next to it.

That was installed recently as part of an access management project along US 280. There are quite a few Michigan left, and a lot of instances where side roads must either turn left or right at a signal but can't go straight through the intersection;.  I think it has improved traffic flow along the road, and ALDOT is preparing a similar project for US 72 West in Huntsville/Madison.

That FYA was put in just a few days ago. 

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/12/us_280_eastbound_flashing_yell.html

I had to go to Homewood Monday morning and it was on the way.  On a ironic note, the signal headed westbound features strobes.

mapman1071

Glendale, AZ has added the flashing yellow  to
59th Avenue & Olive (only operates off-peak, Overnight and weekends. Peak times are Protected left Only)
51st Avenue & Peoria Avenue

jakeroot

Quote from: mapman1071 on December 28, 2014, 10:37:55 AM
59th Avenue & Olive (only operates off-peak, Overnight and weekends. Peak times are Protected left Only)

It drives me nuts when a jurisdiction changes how the signal operates depending on the time of day. I get the point, but from the perspective of a driver, things become unpredictable. In Bellevue, Washington, there's a couple of FYAs that perform similarly. On a couple of occasions, I've rolled out into the intersection to turn but then realized that I have a red arrow. Things didn't exactly end badly (I just made the turn as if they were flashing) but from a consistency perspective, I don't find the protected-only mode necessary.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2014, 01:15:24 PM

It drives me nuts when a jurisdiction changes how the signal operates depending on the time of day. I get the point, but from the perspective of a driver, things become unpredictable. In Bellevue, Washington, there's a couple of FYAs that perform similarly. On a couple of occasions, I've rolled out into the intersection to turn but then realized that I have a red arrow. Things didn't exactly end badly (I just made the turn as if they were flashing) but from a consistency perspective, I don't find the protected-only mode necessary.

Part of the reason is that, at certain busy times of day, the opposing flows would be to busy to safely allow permitted turns. (Keep in mind different jurisdictions define this threshold at different traffic volumes.) The FYA easily allows variable time of day mode operations, which is one of the contributing factors to its adoption. The alternative is to just leave protected only operation all day long...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mapman1071

Quote from: roadfro on December 28, 2014, 05:42:42 PM

Part of the reason is that, at certain busy times of day, the opposing flows would be to busy to safely allow permitted turns. (Keep in mind different jurisdictions define this threshold at different traffic volumes.) The FYA easily allows variable time of day mode operations, which is one of the contributing factors to its adoption. The alternative is to just leave protected only operation all day long...

Glendale Community College is located at that intersection
Peak is 5-9am and 3-7pm
Classes start as early as 6am and most full timers take classes (Hour to 90min duration) 8am to 4pm with evening classes (2 to 4hrs) starting between 5pm and 6pm running as late to 10pm

thenetwork

Wish they did that in my neck of the woods.  Over the past year, they converted many of the CDOT-maintained signals from doghouses to protected red arrows.  Many of these same intersections would be better off with FYA's either off-peak or 24/7.  It's kinda sad when the local municipality can do a better job at traffic light management & synchronization than the state.

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on December 28, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Wish they did that in my neck of the woods.  Over the past year, they converted many of the CDOT-maintained signals from doghouses to protected red arrows.  Many of these same intersections would be better off with FYA's either off-peak or 24/7.  It's kinda sad when the local municipality can do a better job at traffic light management & synchronization than the state.

No matter how busy the road is, you can always eek a few more cars through when the light turns to solid amber, so long as the traffic is waiting in the intersection. Are we saying that, because traffic is so heavy, people will feel more inclined to "thread the needle"? I suppose that's a legitimate concern, but I hope there's some stats backing it up.

rickmastfan67

Pennsylvania update:
https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation/posts/10152793753780669

Quote from: PennDOTYes, PennDOT's Bureau of Maintenance and Operations started an evaluation earlier this month which is evaluating the Flashing Yellow arrow operation as well as lessons learned from other states. Once completed, it is anticipated that a pilot will begin.

steviep24

A FYA was recently installed at NY 31 (Monroe Ave.) WB and I 590 in Brighton, NY as part of the recent improvements at that interchange.

MASTERNC

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 16, 2015, 12:09:46 AM
Pennsylvania update:
https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation/posts/10152793753780669

Quote from: PennDOTYes, PennDOT's Bureau of Maintenance and Operations started an evaluation earlier this month which is evaluating the Flashing Yellow arrow operation as well as lessons learned from other states. Once completed, it is anticipated that a pilot will begin.

Wow.  I'm surprised.  I thought they said earlier that the legislature had to pass legislation to allow it.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on April 16, 2015, 08:39:38 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 16, 2015, 12:09:46 AM
Pennsylvania update:

Wow.  I'm surprised.  I thought they said earlier that the legislature had to pass legislation to allow it.

Well, I just responded to them and suggested a particular intersection that might work well for a pilot here in the Pittsburgh area when they get to that point. ;)

pctech

I saw my first one here in Louisiana on Sunday in Lafayette on Congress St. near the University.
It seemed to be operating in mostly flashing amber "permissive left turn mode", no green arrow, Flashing amber to steady amber  to red arrow then back to flashing amber. No green "protected left turn mode"

codyg1985

Quote from: pctech on April 28, 2015, 12:23:40 PM
I saw my first one here in Louisiana on Sunday in Lafayette on Congress St. near the University.
It seemed to be operating in mostly flashing amber "permissive left turn mode", no green arrow, Flashing amber to steady amber  to red arrow then back to flashing amber. No green "protected left turn mode"

I hate those kind. It seems like a waste of money to put one of those there.
Cody Goodman

jakeroot

The flashing yellow U-turn has made it to Washington. This is in University Place, near where they are holding the U.S. Open in June (for any golfers out there. Lol).

roadfro

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 28, 2015, 01:45:44 PM

Well pctech probably just saw the signal in the off-peak period. Installing the FYA display allows for easy conversion between protected-only or protected-permitted mode in the busy peak periods then switch to permitted in the non-busy period.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

codyg1985

Quote from: roadfro on April 30, 2015, 03:04:26 AM

Well pctech probably just saw the signal in the off-peak period. Installing the FYA display allows for easy conversion between protected-only or protected-permitted mode in the busy peak periods then switch to permitted in the non-busy period.

I'm not sure if he was referring to the four-lens FYA or the three-lens one. The latter one is the one that I think is a waste of money.
Cody Goodman

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 30, 2015, 05:36:09 AM

I'm not sure if he was referring to the four-lens FYA or the three-lens one. The latter one is the one that I think is a waste of money.

Three-lens FYAs are allowed, with the bottom lens containing both green and flashing yellow.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

codyg1985

Quote from: cl94 on April 30, 2015, 08:43:03 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 30, 2015, 05:36:09 AM

Three-lens FYAs are allowed, with the bottom lens containing both green and flashing yellow.

I'm not sure if I have seen one of those (at least not one where I saw both a FYA and a green steady arrow while sitting at the intersection).
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.