News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-485

Started by 74/171FAN, July 16, 2009, 11:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Google now has StreetView of the I-485/Mallard Creek Rd interchange from back in May '14. - http://goo.gl/maps/3LT7T

bob7374

NCDOT says opening of the last section of I-485 delayed until Spring 2015:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10435

Henry

Here's the full article from the above link:
QuoteCHARLOTTE — As work continues on the final 5.7 — mile segment of the Charlotte Outer Loop in northeast Mecklenburg County, the N.C. Department of Transportation and contractor Blythe Construction will soon be faced with lower temperatures and seasonal limitations that will slow the project's completion. Although the Department and the contractor were planning to complete work by the end of December, engineers now are anticipating the completion will be spring 2015.

The current controlling operation is paving the new section of I-485. Once completed, pavement markings will be installed, concurrent with lighting and sign installation. With winter approaching, lower temperatures will likely slow progress. Once temperatures go lower than 50 degrees, asphalt cannot set properly, which is why roadway paving isn't done between November and March.

In addition, the existing onsite concrete plant near the Prosperity Church Road interchange will soon be dismantled, requiring an offsite supplier to haul materials to pave approximately 1500 feet of the highway in both directions around the plant's location.

NCDOT will continue to work with the contractor to do as much as possible to accelerate the completion, with the recognition that inclement conditions may still impede that process. The Department will continue to make every effort to finish this critical segment of the Outer Loop so motorists can reach their destinations sooner and more efficiently.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coming winter storms similar to those that attacked the East Coast came through again, thus setting opening back to summer. But I'm glad they planned ahead this time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

At least NCDOT will let you run on it, for charity.   :ded:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10441

Henry

This is going to be fun, as it'll still be months before you can actually drive on it. I'm sure  lot of roadgeeks will be coming down!

http://www.active.com/charlotte-nc/running/distance-running-races/485-madd-dash-5k-10k-and-fun-run-2014?int=
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

There's precedent.  Prior to sections of the Triangle Expressway (NC 540) opening 2-3 years ago, they held similar events, called the Triangle Expressway Trot.  I participated with several of the Raleigh-area crowd on their 3rd event in late 2012, with some of us biking instead of running.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 28, 2014, 09:44:36 AM
At least NCDOT will let you run on it, for charity.   :ded:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10441

Hope people will get pictures of the signs or a GPS trace for OSM. ;)

Grzrd

Quote from: bob7374 on October 25, 2014, 02:03:26 PM
NCDOT says opening of the last section of I-485 delayed until Spring 2015:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10435
Quote from: Henry on October 27, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
Here's the ... article from the above link:
QuoteCHARLOTTE — As work continues on the final 5.7 — mile segment of the Charlotte Outer Loop in northeast Mecklenburg County, the N.C. Department of Transportation and contractor Blythe Construction will soon be faced with lower temperatures and seasonal limitations that will slow the project's completion. Although the Department and the contractor were planning to complete work by the end of December, engineers now are anticipating the completion will be spring 2015.
I wouldn't be surprised if the coming winter storms similar to those that attacked the East Coast came through again, thus setting opening back to summer. But I'm glad they planned ahead this time.

This TV video reports that July 20 is the current target date for the opening:

According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, the last section of I-485 connecting I-77 to I-85 could open near the end of July.
For some, opening the final leg of 485 can't come soon enough.
Six years ago, Sanchez bought Tanaka's Sushi just off Prosperity Church Road. He bought it knowing and banking on 485.
He's since been waiting delay after delay. The project has been delayed multiple times, the most recent because of weather.
"When that intersection opens up here I'm hoping that business will increase between the hours of 5 and 6:30 pm, because of traffic being lighter," Sanchez said.
The project will connect I-77 to I-85, it will also ease a lot of the congestion created from roads being closed during the construction.
"It's been tough, it's been tough for everybody especially the businesses in this little shopping center, It's really hurt everyone here," Sanchez said of the road diversions constructed around the new interchanges.
The 485 loop has been a saga 25 years long. This last leg will close the gap and complete the 67-mile circle around Charlotte.
It will also hopefully, bring Sanchez the business he expected when he bought this restaurant.
"I'm banking on that, if that comes true then that's going to be fantastic."

Here is a snip from the video:

Mileage Mike

Another side benefit of when it finally opens is that Harris Blvd should get some relief. That road is always a pain to drive.

A negative that's going to occur from it being completed is that it's going to further strain the tiny two lanes that I-77 has going north into Huntersville and the other Lake Norman cities.  So NCDOT should be making plans on how to get funding to widen that whole highway to at least 8 lanes all the way through Mecklenburg County.  I predict that it's going to get pretty loaded just north of the 77/485 interchange.

Third Strike

Quote from: Cemajr on April 24, 2015, 02:37:08 PM
Another side benefit of when it finally opens is that Harris Blvd should get some relief. That road is always a pain to drive.

A negative that's going to occur from it being completed is that it's going to further strain the tiny two lanes that I-77 has going north into Huntersville and the other Lake Norman cities.  So NCDOT should be making plans on how to get funding to widen that whole highway to at least 8 lanes all the way through Mecklenburg County.  I predict that it's going to get pretty loaded just north of the 77/485 interchange.

I believe construction for widening I-77 to Mooresville is scheduled to start either later this year, or early next. Though, all of the new lanes will be tolled.

rickmastfan67

Well, we have an exit number change.  Everybody thought that the new I-485/I-85 interchange would be Exit #31.  Well, it's going to be Exit #30 instead.
https://goo.gl/maps/TMaqt
http://www.independenttribune.com/news/relief-in-sight-last-leg-of-outer-loop-set-to/article_cc9992ec-fa7a-11e4-9d81-b34644c14fdf.html?mode=image&photo=0

Grzrd

This May 14 NCDOT press release announces that I-485 will have a 70 mph speed limit in the near future:

As completion of the final segment of the I-485 Outer Loop nears, N.C. Department of Transportation officials will begin implementing a 70 mph speed limit for the entirety of the 67-mile outer belt. NCDOT crews will be working along I-485 to install and update signs beginning Tuesday, May 26, with the change complete by Friday, May 29.
The I-485 Outer Loop is an important corridor for local and regional travel. In an effort to ensure this important road is operating safely and efficiently, NCDOT recently conducted 18 spot speed studies along I-485. Those studies revealed most traffic already traveled along I-485 at a rate of 70-75 mph.  Also, I-485 has a design speed of 70 mph, meaning the speed of 70 mph was used when making decisions related to roadway design. Based on the Department's speed studies and the design speed of the roadway, NCDOT decided to implement the new speed limit.
Additionally, posting the speed limit at 70 mph should decrease the overall speed differential on the roadway, thereby creating a safer roadway for motorists.  Although motorists should never travel at a higher speed than what's safe, it's optimal for a majority of motorists to travel at or around the same speed.
Currently, the posted speed limit for the Outer Loop is 65 mph.

Quote from: Cemajr on May 13, 2015, 12:57:58 PM
I-485 set to open June 5th at Noon.
(above quote from North Carolina thread)

Also, in case anyone missed the above post in the North Carolina thread, here is a link to the May 13 NCDOT press release announcing the June 5 opening of the final section of I-485:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11130

Henry

So the TV report says July 20, and the NCDOT says June 5. Either way, I'll gladly drive on it whenever I come through Charlotte.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on May 20, 2015, 12:19:43 PM
So the TV report says July 20, and the NCDOT says June 5. Either way, I'll gladly drive on it whenever I come through Charlotte.

When in doubt, go what NCDOT says.   :sombrero:

They did say July 20th at one time, but they moved it up.

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 20, 2015, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 20, 2015, 12:19:43 PM

When in doubt, go what NCDOT says.   :sombrero:

They did say July 20th at one time, but they moved it up.
The sooner the better!

Mileage Mike

I'll be ready to check it out and drive it on the 2nd.  So close.  This section is the only part that's 8 lanes I believe.

OracleUsr

I was down in Huntersville tonight (well, last night now) and noticed none of the signs on I-77 indicate the upcoming change of I-485.  It still shows TO NC 115 for exit 19A and there does not seem to be any indication that NC DOT is planning to change that.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on May 19, 2015, 02:20:18 PM
This May 14 NCDOT press release announces that I-485 will have a 70 mph speed limit in the near future:

As completion of the final segment of the I-485 Outer Loop nears, N.C. Department of Transportation officials will begin implementing a 70 mph speed limit for the entirety of the 67-mile outer belt. NCDOT crews will be working along I-485 to install and update signs beginning Tuesday, May 26, with the change complete by Friday, May 29.
The I-485 Outer Loop is an important corridor for local and regional travel. In an effort to ensure this important road is operating safely and efficiently, NCDOT recently conducted 18 spot speed studies along I-485. Those studies revealed most traffic already traveled along I-485 at a rate of 70-75 mph.  Also, I-485 has a design speed of 70 mph, meaning the speed of 70 mph was used when making decisions related to roadway design. Based on the Department's speed studies and the design speed of the roadway, NCDOT decided to implement the new speed limit.
Additionally, posting the speed limit at 70 mph should decrease the overall speed differential on the roadway, thereby creating a safer roadway for motorists.  Although motorists should never travel at a higher speed than what's safe, it's optimal for a majority of motorists to travel at or around the same speed.
Currently, the posted speed limit for the Outer Loop is 65 mph.

But see, you're not supposed to post the road at the design speed. You post it 5-10 mph below so that when people invariably speed by a few MPH they're not testing the limits of the road. That's established industry practice. I would expect that NCDOT will now - or if not, should now - install advisory signs for 65 MPH at every curve designed to 70.

bob7374

NCDOT's press release regarding ribbon-cutting and opening of final segment of I-485 on June 5:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11212

brownpelican

Alright! I'll be able to check it out when I head up there in the fall.

geocachingpirate

Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

Mileage Mike

Just got back from checking it out in both directions.  Interesting note is that on 485 Inner approaching 85 they have Charlotte/Greensboro listed as control cities but it changes to Spartanburg/Greensboro as you get closer. 

The DDI at Mallard Creek Road was a little confusing at first.  The turbine interchange at 485/85 is pretty cool. One of the most interesting interchanges I've seen.  It takes up a massive amount of land but doesn't have the high bridges like a stack.  This section is 8 lanes (the widest segment of the entire loop) so it should have smooth flowing traffic for quite a while.

Another thing of note is that I-77 heading north towards Lake Norman is about to be a total nightmare.  Traffic was at a standstill already today and 485 hasn't even really been open long enough to feed into it.  I can't imagine how terrible it's going to be up there a couple of months from now.

geocachingpirate

Quote from: Cemajr on June 05, 2015, 04:14:10 PM
Just got back from checking it out in both directions.  Interesting note is that on 485 Inner approaching 85 they have Charlotte/Greensboro listed as control cities but it changes to Spartanburg/Greensboro as you get closer. 

The DDI at Mallard Creek Road was a little confusing at first.  The turbine interchange at 485/85 is pretty cool. One of the most interesting interchanges I've seen.  It takes up a massive amount of land but doesn't have the high bridges like a stack.  This section is 8 lanes (the widest segment of the entire loop) so it should have smooth flowing traffic for quite a while.

Another thing of note is that I-77 heading north towards Lake Norman is about to be a total nightmare.  Traffic was at a standstill already today and 485 hasn't even really been open long enough to feed into it.  I can't imagine how terrible it's going to be up there a couple of months from now.

How much traffic was flowing through the new segment of I-485?
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

Mileage Mike

Quote from: geocachingpirate on June 05, 2015, 04:57:26 PM

How much traffic was flowing through the new segment of I-485?

Not much. It was pretty empty. Most people probably aren't aware of it being open yet.

rickmastfan67

Do you have exit numbers for the new exits along I-485?  Want to update OSM with that info.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.