News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NCDOT to add I-495 onto US 64 from I-440 to I-95

Started by Mapmikey, February 27, 2013, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

I-444 isn't signed, but it is a "secret" design for US 75 in Tulsa between the I-244 exits.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: Strider on July 02, 2014, 09:44:31 PM
I-444 isn't signed, but it is a "secret" design for US 75 in Tulsa between the I-244 exits.
Lol I know I've been on it several times. I'm just giving my fellow okie/arky hell.

iPhone

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2014, 10:44:56 AM
Quoteit now is signed E-W to follow FHWA guidelines

FHWA guidelines for route direction only really apply to Interstate highways.  Directional signage for state and US routes is strictly a state matter.
Tell that one to FDOT District 4 as they assign US 98 as E-W despite all other districts have US 98 east of Perry as N-S.  I wrote them about it and told them its confusing and being it only runs true E-W for a few miles from Belle Glade to Palm Beach it should be signed N-S.  However, FDOT told me that odd numbers are to be north to south and even numbers east and west and the engineer gave me other examples of routes signed different from their actual direction.

In fact US 92 runs north-south more miles than US 98 does run east-west  in Palm Beach County.  Plus FDOT District 1 signs US 98 as N-S west of Okeechobee where it does run E-W, but with District 4 signing their district maintenance of US 98  has the N-S portion (with US 441) south of Okeechobee signed E-W.  I pointed these facts out, but they kept insisting that cardinal direction is what to be signed and not local or regional.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 12:19:30 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 27, 2014, 02:54:38 PM
It's north-south because it's an odd-digit interstate highway.  Also, if one looks on a map, it does go north-south similar to I-85 in the state.  Same reason I-26 is east-west, because it's even-digit.  :pan:
Wrong.  3 digit interstates aren't required to be signed in the same direction of their parents.  There are plenty of examples of 3 digit interstates that are signed in a different direction as their parents (I-180, I-530, I-444, etc).

Just because there are exceptions to the rule, it doesn't make it right.   :pan:

bugo

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 02, 2014, 11:13:48 PM
It's north-south because it's an odd-digit interstate highway.  Also, if one looks on a map, it does go north-south similar to I-85 in the state.  Same reason I-26 is east-west, because it's even-digit.  :pan:
Wrong.  3 digit interstates aren't required to be signed in the same direction of their parents.  There are plenty of examples of 3 digit interstates that are signed in a different direction as their parents (I-180, I-530, I-444, etc).

Just because there are exceptions to the rule, it doesn't make it right.   :pan:

IT'S NOT A RULE!  Are you saying I-530 should be signed E-W?  There is no rule for 3 digit interstates that says they must be signed according to the direction of their "parent" highway.  Look it up.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 11:22:11 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 02, 2014, 11:13:48 PM

IT'S NOT A RULE!  Are you saying I-530 should be signed E-W?  There is no rule for 3 digit interstates that says they must be signed according to the direction of their "parent" highway.  Look it up.
I second this. The only 3di rules I'm aware of are if the first number is odd it's a spur and if it's even it's a loop/belt. And there are exceptions to that as well so it may not be an actual "rule". The numerical value if a 3di in no way reflects it's cardinal direction

iPhone

Roadrunner75

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 03, 2014, 12:15:44 AM
Problem solved:

At one time, that would have worked in Ohio.

I am old enough to remember the N-EAST, S-EAST, N-WEST, S-WEST directional banners that were used in Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Strider

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 02, 2014, 10:28:07 PM

Quote from: Strider on July 02, 2014, 09:44:31 PM
Lol I know I've been on it several times. I'm just giving my fellow okie/arky hell.

iPhone

haha good one though.

mrsman

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 01, 2014, 09:20:01 PM

Look at these signs, north and south I-495, near Raleigh.

Also took a picture of a typical "Future I-495" along the route east of I-540 and the BIG end sign for US 264, which if you look on the asphalt, will soon may be replaced with a combo end I-495/US 264 sign.  :spin:  I have more pictures on my flickr page.

I agree that I-495 should be signed East-West rather than N-S.  I also agree that there should be guide signs along the major approaches from Raleight to I-495 east that recommend that traffic heading to I-95 north should use I-495 and that traffic heading to I-495 south should use I-40.

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2014, 05:02:18 PM

I agree that I-495 should be signed East-West rather than N-S.  I also agree that there should be guide signs along the major approaches from Raleight to I-495 east that recommend that traffic heading to I-95 north should use I-495 and that traffic heading to I-495 south should use I-40.

As someone who's never been to the area, I do wonder:  for points north of Raleigh (namely Richmond), is 495 to 95 that much faster of a route than US 1 to I-85?
Chris Sampang

74/171FAN

Quote from: TheStranger on July 03, 2014, 05:26:09 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2014, 05:02:18 PM

As someone who's never been to the area, I do wonder:  for points north of Raleigh (namely Richmond), is 495 to 95 that much faster of a route than US 1 to I-85?
Not really.  I worked near the RDU Airport last summer and it was quicker to take NC 50 and US 15 or US 1 to I-85.  It was not much of a debate in my mind because I barely ever used I-495 to I-95.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

It depends on where you live.  If you live in Eastern Wake County or Northeast Raleigh or even ITB - yes 495 95 is better. North Raleigh, Durham Cary Etc then 50/85 or 1/85 is better.

bugo

At least they didn't get I-44.  There should only be one I-44.  Besides, the direction US 64 in NC runs doesn't line up with the existing I-44.  Every even number between I-40 and I-64 is available, and NCDOT picks the one that isn't available?  Nonsense.  It shouldn't be a 2 digit route, and if it must be then I-42 or I-46 would be a better number.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on July 04, 2014, 01:16:34 AM
At least they didn't get I-44.  There should only be one I-44.  Besides, the direction US 64 in NC runs doesn't line up with the existing I-44.  Every even number between I-40 and I-64 is available, and NCDOT picks the one that isn't available?  Nonsense.  It shouldn't be a 2 digit route, and if it must be then I-42 or I-46 would be a better number.
I agree with I-46. But there probably will be one soon with the Texas/Illinois/North Carolina war for the most interstate highways

iPhone

roadman65

What gets me is that NC does not build its freeways up to standards at first.  US 64, if it was built right at first, would have no problem transitioning.  Remember most of US 64 was built post interstate.  That is why Nashville is used as WB control city on I-95 instead of Raliegh unlike US 264 to the south at Wilson which does use Raliegh as that one opened back in 05.  US 64 defaulted on to surface roads a few miles west of I-95 when it opened in the early 80's there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

NC is crazy with building some many fully controlled access facilities.  I see why TN has such a better tax structure then NC.

CanesFan27

Jeremy,

NCDOT didn't choose I-44.  It was done by the local planning organization.  NCDOT never asked for I-44.

CanesFan27

JP natsiatka,

NC along with many other states didn't build to interstate standards. Hell, SC 22 is not. NC has built nearly all freeways the past 15-20 years to interstate standards and that includes the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses for US 70. Among others.

Hindsight - in saying if NC in the 1970s should have built a road to become an interstate 40 years later - is 20/20.

froggie

Quote from: roadman65
Quote from: froggieFHWA guidelines for route direction only really apply to Interstate highways.  Directional signage for state and US routes is strictly a state matter.

Tell that one to FDOT District 4 as they assign US 98 as E-W despite all other districts have US 98 east of Perry as N-S.

Quote from: CanesFan27NC has built nearly all freeways the past 15-20 years to interstate standards and that includes the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses for US 70. Among others.

...though there are plenty of exceptions.  Fayetteville bypass, US 64 east of Plymouth, and US 17 Elizabeth City bypass to name a few.  All three have been built in the last 12 years and all three lack Interstate-standard shoulders.  The Fayetteville bypass, in particular, is why that route is going to be signed as NC 295 instead of I-295.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 28, 2013, 03:51:10 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on February 28, 2013, 03:38:00 PM
I'd rather see a 2di, as short as it is. What about extending such an Interstate designation along US-64 to Williamston or even Columbia with upgrades?

Upgrading US 64 between Williamston and Plymouth would require an entirely new roadway unless you want to remove numerous homes as existing US 64 in this location has dozens and dozens of driveway accesses.   The 4-laning of US 64 took away much property from these homes' front yards and there isn't room to add frontage roads adjacent to the main alignment.  Due to swamps/Roanoke River and the railroad, it wouldn't be possible for a lot of this stretch to put parallel roads behind the houses either.

I'm not sure under current guidelines if Williamston qualifies as big enough to be the end point of an interstate.

Greenville on the other hand is at least the equivalent of Goldsboro, so when somebody puts in for US 264 to be an interstate they can do that...

If US 1 south of Raleigh ever became freeway all the way to Rockingham the I-495/US 1 could be a 2di or I-495 could form one great big loop using I-73 to get back to I-95 south of Dillon.

Mapmikey

What NCDOT wants to do is to connect to the Norfolk area along US 17. Makes sense, I just would like to see another designation that I-44 since it is already used from St Louis into Texas.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

froggie

QuoteWhat local business interests want to do is to connect to the Norfolk area along US 17.

FTFY.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
QuoteWhat local business interests want to do is to connect to the Norfolk area along US 17.

FTFY.
Yes, that is a more accurate statement .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Molandfreak

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 14, 2014, 07:30:24 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
FTFY.
Yes, that is a more accurate statement .....
Still, it's sad and embarrassing that an Interstate connection hasn't been made between Raleigh and Hampton Roads... The businesses are right in this instance.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

QuoteStill, it's sad and embarrassing that an Interstate connection hasn't been made between Raleigh and Hampton Roads... The businesses are right in this instance.

There's really no need for one.  US 64 (Future I-495...the topic of this thread) and I-95 bring a freeway up to Emporia.  And aside from minor improvements, an interchange here or there, and addressing west Suffolk, US 58 is more than adequate to cover the rest of the distance.  Such a route is also over 20 miles shorter than taking 64 to 17.  The local businesses east of Rocky Mount know this, which is why they're chomping at the bit to try and bring a superhighway to the corridor, even though every trucker worth his load knows US 58 to I-95 is both shorter and faster.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.