News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Construction on US 220 north of I-80 - UPDATE 10/14

Started by CentralPAGal, August 30, 2013, 04:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 08, 2016, 06:22:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2016, 05:35:41 PM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 06, 2016, 03:18:17 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 06, 2016, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: dave19 on March 06, 2016, 01:58:14 PM
I thought it was diverted to a new road roughly paralleling US 322 from Woodland to Post Matilda, bypassing Philipsburg. Since 322 was moved to a new alignment through Philipsburg some time ago, I think the rest of the "Corridor O-1" plans have been shelved.
That was in 2007. The Lewistown Narrows was 2008. So either the money was diverted earlier or they changed their mind.

Which is a shame, because Cumberland is a pretty big town in Maryland in need of commerce, and I-99 would help it tremendously.

If there's any evidence that interstate highways on their own do not generate economic activity, one needs to look no further than Binghamton, NY.  Economically depressed despite what will be three interstates serving the "city."

That's because a major company in Binghamton went bankrupt, just like Rochester.

I may have heard about that bankrupt Binghamton company, but refresh my memory.

ixnay

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: ixnay on March 08, 2016, 09:37:32 PM
I thought it was diverted to a new road roughly paralleling US 322 from Woodland to Post Matilda, bypassing Philipsburg. Since 322 was moved to a new alignment through Philipsburg some time ago, I think the rest of the "Corridor O-1" plans have been shelved.
That was in 2007. The Lewistown Narrows was 2008. So either the money was diverted earlier or they changed their mind.

Which is a shame, because Cumberland is a pretty big town in Maryland in need of commerce, and I-99 would help it tremendously.

If there's any evidence that interstate highways on their own do not generate economic activity, one needs to look no further than Binghamton, NY.  Economically depressed despite what will be three interstates serving the "city."

That's because a major company in Binghamton went bankrupt, just like Rochester.

ixnay

I believe it was Endicott-Johnson Shoe Company, which sold itself and then moved to Nelsonville, Ohio. Don't quote me on this.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Rothman

...and yet, the interstates haven't attracted anything back there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 08, 2016, 10:09:26 PM

ixnay

I believe it was Endicott-Johnson Shoe Company, which sold itself and then moved to Nelsonville, Ohio. Don't quote me on this.

They moved to Nelsonville via Tennessee.  Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endicott_Johnson_Corporation...

QuoteIn 1995, E-J was purchased by US Industries. Inc. and its name was changed to EJ Footwear Corp., and its base of operations changed to Franklin, Tennessee. In 2000, EJ Footwear was bought out by Citicorp Venture Capital Ltd., a subsidiary of Citigroup.

Finally, on December 6, 2004, EJ Footwear agreed to be acquired by Rocky Shoes & Boots, Inc. EJ had previously been the sole licensee for Rocky's "Dickies" line of work footwear. According to its 2005 annual report, Rocky's sales more than doubled over 2004, largely reflecting this acquisition.

And per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Brands...

QuoteRocky Brands, Inc., formerly known as Rocky Shoes & Boots, Inc., designs, develops, manufactures and markets outdoor, work, western and Military footwear as well as outdoor and work apparel and accessories.[2] The company was founded in 1932 in Nelsonville, Ohio and still maintains its corporate headquarters there.

The old E-J hq is now a church.

ixnay

Bumppoman

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 08, 2016, 10:09:26 PM

ixnay

IBM was the region's major employer after E-J started to decline, and they left also.  That was really the death knell.

froggie

Rothman mentioned Binghamton...I'd like to include Meridian, MS, which despite a major interstate junction, a rail junction, and a major north-south highway that the state has spent multi-millions to 4-lane, is still very much a stagnant area.

Far too many people (CobaltYoshi among them, apparently) think that Interstate highways are the panacea for economic development.  They aren't.  You also need a skilled workforce and/or educational opportunity, amongst other things.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: froggie on March 09, 2016, 07:53:19 AM
Far too many people (CobaltYoshi among them, apparently) think that Interstate highways are the panacea for economic development.  They aren't.  You also need a skilled workforce and/or educational opportunity, amongst other things.

I don't want to drag this far off topic, but I am of the belief that interstates are just glorified designations that do not improve the community. What does it matter if an NY 17 freeway expansion spurs development instead of an Interstate 86 designation? The linear nature of the numbers make it really pointless to claim economic development will be improved by an interstate highway. Case in point, has US 6 in PA (and to some degree, US 6N) been pulling in big business since they unveiled 800 milemarkers (2 directions of 400) denoting the Do 6 program? I care to disagree.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Chris19001

Interesting argument, but I think you're comparing a tourism effort to an effort to maintain an industrial presence.  If you don't advertise for tourism, chances are people won't think to go there if they haven't before..  For industrial or commercial, there's plenty of competition for sites with freeway/transit/rail freight access already.  I can't really see that increasing the amount of potential sites (via a new freeway) does much but make existing brownfields that much harder to develop..  Regional or state planning would be nice in that regard for preferences..  Apologies for going further off topic.

I'm curious whether this full section of 220 gets updated before the darned last mile of I-99 south of I-80.  That was a big surprise for me when I was through there last.  (Another Breezewood in the making?)

CobaltYoshi27

Rothman mentioned Binghamton...I'd like to include Meridian, MS, which despite a major interstate junction, a rail junction, and a major north-south highway that the state has spent multi-millions to 4-lane, is still very much a stagnant area.

I never said they were the panacea for economic development. Sure, they help, but they alone won't do anything without businesses and workers.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

jemacedo9

Quote from: Chris19001 on March 09, 2016, 04:06:11 PM
I'm curious whether this full section of 220 gets updated before the darned last mile of I-99 south of I-80.  That was a big surprise for me when I was through there last.  (Another Breezewood in the making?)

IMO in some ways this is worse than Breezewood...the traffic backups have been pretty bad the few times I've been that way, and you're asking an interstate to make a left turn without a signal to get onto another interstate (and it's own future continuation)? 

I know there were plans at one point to make this high-speed interchange, but NIMBY struck again, I believe.  But this isn't even on the 12-year plan...

ixnay

Perhaps best known (at least to civil rights students) as the site of the federal trial of the defendants in the 1964 murders on which Mississippi Burning was loosely based.

Meridian NAS is still there, having survived BRAC.

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 09, 2016, 05:41:39 PM

I never said they were the panacea for economic development. Sure, they help, but they alone won't do anything without businesses and workers.

Yes, all roads lead to Rome (if not Rome, NY or Rome, GA), but you have to get the people to come to Rome.

ixnay

froggie

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 09, 2016, 05:41:39 PMI never said they were the panacea for economic development. Sure, they help, but they alone won't do anything without businesses and workers.

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 06, 2016, 03:18:17 PMWhich is a shame, because Cumberland is a pretty big town in Maryland in need of commerce, and I-99 would help it tremendously.

You effectively said it here.

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 09, 2016, 11:47:12 AM
Case in point, has US 6 in PA (and to some degree, US 6N) been pulling in big business since they unveiled 800 milemarkers (2 directions of 400) denoting the Do 6 program? I care to disagree.

I was under the distinct impression (especially after receiving comments on it from Jeff Kitsko when it came out) that "Do 6" was put in for tourism reasons and not for "economic development".  Nevermind that they're actual milemarkers which IMO should have been added anyway.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: froggie on March 10, 2016, 07:56:29 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 09, 2016, 11:47:12 AM
Case in point, has US 6 in PA (and to some degree, US 6N) been pulling in big business since they unveiled 800 milemarkers (2 directions of 400) denoting the Do 6 program? I care to disagree.

I was under the distinct impression (especially after receiving comments on it from Jeff Kitsko when it came out) that "Do 6" was put in for tourism reasons and not for "economic development".  Nevermind that they're actual milemarkers which IMO should have been added anyway.

I am under the impression that tourism is supposed to be part of economic development.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Henry

While I-99 to Rochester would be nice, it would be even better going to Cumberland!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LeftyJR

I have pictures of the new US 220 interchange in Mackeyville, PA. I'll post when I get a chance.  The layout would make another bridge difficult. I don't see why the bridge that was built wouldn't have been about ten feet wider...it would have been wide enough for four lanes then.

hbelkins

Quote from: Henry on March 10, 2016, 11:07:50 AM
While I-99 to Rochester would be nice, it would be even better going to Cumberland!

Cumberland already has I-68. I don't think adding I-99 would help any. Traffic already uses US 220, and the several times I've used the route there has been plenty of truck traffic on it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: froggie on March 10, 2016, 07:56:29 AM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 09, 2016, 05:41:39 PMI never said they were the panacea for economic development. Sure, they help, but they alone won't do anything without businesses and workers.

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on March 06, 2016, 03:18:17 PMWhich is a shame, because Cumberland is a pretty big town in Maryland in need of commerce, and I-99 would help it tremendously.

No, I said it would HELP. Key word: HELP
I's traveled:

The Ghostbuster

Forget the Rochester pipedream. I'm more interested in when they might convert the two future Interstate 99 junctions with Interstate 80 to freeway-to-freeway interchanges.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 09, 2016, 07:53:12 PM
I know there were plans at one point to make this high-speed interchange, but NIMBY struck again, I believe.  But this isn't even on the 12-year plan...

I don't know that there was any real NIMBY-ism for this... I think it's mostly just money.  And the fact that samples revealed those really acidic mineral deposits that were a huge pain in the ass in some of the I-99 construction on the other side of State College.  That can be dealt with, but it just adds a lot more to the cost.
Quote from: LeftyJR on March 10, 2016, 11:15:51 AM
I have pictures of the new US 220 interchange in Mackeyville, PA. I'll post when I get a chance.  The layout would make another bridge difficult. I don't see why the bridge that was built wouldn't have been about ten feet wider...it would have been wide enough for four lanes then.

I'd hate to think PennDOT designed and built something that would go out of it's way to make future expansion more difficult.  I thought it noticeable, though, that none of the articles I read about the opening of this mentioned at all "I-99 / Future I-99". 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

I think PA really only wanted the road between Bedford and State College and upgrades to US 15.  As soon as that was accomplished, all interest in I-99 appeared to vanish.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Chris19001

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 10, 2016, 05:44:43 PM
I'd hate to think PennDOT designed and built something that would go out of it's way to make future expansion more difficult.  I thought it noticeable, though, that none of the articles I read about the opening of this mentioned at all "I-99 / Future I-99".

Sadly I've seen that all too often recently from PennDOT, the PTC, and SEPTA throughout the SE corner of that state (PA309, and the US202 Parkway projects come to mind). It doesn't happen every time, but I can think of a few large projects that simply needed a tiny amount of coordination with another planned project, and instead the 2nd project inherits a new obstacle in its path.  I think it's just with tight purse strings a project gets streamlined and shoehorned if it reaches fruition at all. 
This bridge/interchange width on 220 seems especially strange though.  The PennDOT district office MUST know about the long term view of the corridor.  I would also like to hope they have a plan to make future expansion cheaper with the recent work done..  (but I don't know)

vdeane

The "spend (or lose) a dollar later to save five cents now" mentality is definitely common in many DOTs these days.

Personal opinion emphasized.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CentralPAGal

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 10, 2016, 03:55:30 PM
Forget the Rochester pipedream. I'm more interested in when they might convert the two future Interstate 99 junctions with Interstate 80 to freeway-to-freeway interchanges.

We'll be lucky to see the first interchange finally get built in the next 15 years. Nothing's going to happen with the northern one for a long, long time (if ever).

Quote from: Henry on March 10, 2016, 11:07:50 AM
While I-83 to Rochester would be nice...
Ftfy

As for the rest of your comment, I'd rather see I-99 extended to Cumberland than to even Williamsport. I-68 to I-80 is fine, IMO
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

NE2

How is it hard to put in a second bridge next to the first one?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.