News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Some want to name a Kentucky bridge after the Colonel who started KFC

Started by roadman65, April 10, 2014, 09:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

Gives a whole new meaning to "Why did the chicken cross the road?"  (He took the bridge instead)

At least no one can accuse this project of being pork.

Would the bridge use a proprietary engineering formula, with eleven berms and trusses?  The state inspectors might not like that.

Would the travel lanes have "regular" pavement, and the shoulders be "extra crispy" (with gravy, er, gravel and rumble strips)

In any event, if they do complete this bridge, I'll have to put it on my bucket list.

txstateends

Dumb question while we're at it:  Would a naming rights deal similar to this help the funding of the I-69 Ohio River bridge at all?

(As Brandon and someone else said, just don't name it for C-F-A, people would have to go scampering back to the US 41 bridge on Sundays :D )
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2014, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2014, 03:09:21 PM
Don't give NYC ideas.  They already have a bridges named after politicians and the Koch brothers.
Well it saved NJ from getting the name Brendan Byrne off of the State's arena when they gave the naming rights first to Continental Airlines (now part of United Airlines) and then to IZOD.  Byrne was not one of the best governors of New Jersey either, in fact he did not do anything near anything good for anyone in the Garden State his eight years of service.  Plus he was the one that picked his own name for the building as it happened during his second term of Governor which many of us New Jerseyans were mad about at the time.

I hear from a friend of mine who lived in New York, and still has strong ties there, that no one is happy about the Triborough Bridge being named after a Kennedy and I imagine that no one likes the Koch Bridge or the Carey Tunnel either as in folklore all of these crossings have had respected names for generations.

My personal feeling is that one of them should remember the victims of 9/11.  The Carey Tunnel (named after 9/11) should be the ideal choice to be called the 9/11 Memorial Tunnel being its Manhattan Portal lies just south of the World Trade Center Site.
Stop being political in threads that are not political. Consider this your warning.

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on May 20, 2014, 07:33:39 PM
Don't give NYC ideas.  They already have a bridges named after politicians and the Koch brothers.
Well it saved NJ from getting the name Brendan Byrne off of the State's arena when they gave the naming rights first to Continental Airlines (now part of United Airlines) and then to IZOD.  Byrne was not one of the best governors of New Jersey either, in fact he did not do anything near anything good for anyone in the Garden State his eight years of service.  Plus he was the one that picked his own name for the building as it happened during his second term of Governor which many of us New Jerseyans were mad about at the time.

I hear from a friend of mine who lived in New York, and still has strong ties there, that no one is happy about the Triborough Bridge being named after a Kennedy and I imagine that no one likes the Koch Bridge or the Carey Tunnel either as in folklore all of these crossings have had respected names for generations.

My personal feeling is that one of them should remember the victims of 9/11.  The Carey Tunnel (named after 9/11) should be the ideal choice to be called the 9/11 Memorial Tunnel being its Manhattan Portal lies just south of the World Trade Center Site.
Stop being political in threads that are not political. Consider this your warning.
Who is being political?  It has nothing to do with the game.  I was simply pointing out the fact that maybe ironically it would not be a bad idea to give naming rights to a bridge.  I just used examples of real live people and real live events and nothing to support either party or typical mumbo jumbo.  It has nothing to do with supporting any one thing or any cause. 

For the record I hate the P and the R words in chat and if not wanting to be part of it is being political than I am sorry, but there are far worse things that people have done here that are more along the line of P and R and no one intervenes when it happens.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2014, 07:50:56 PM

Who is being political?  It has nothing to do with the game.  I was simply pointing out the fact that maybe ironically it would not be a bad idea to give naming rights to a bridge.  I just used examples of real live people and nothing to support either party or typical mumbo jumbo.  To me I think of people for who they are and not what they are!
You just happened to name all Democrats, and cast aspersions on Byrne and Kennedy. Again, you have been warned. Proceed as you will.

Brandon

Steve, I fail to see the politics here, and since when did the Koches become Democrats (see your second comment)?

I don't like seeing things renamed for politicians or people no one even knows.  What the hell is wrong with a geographic name for a bridge or a freeway?  East-West Tollway was fine; we didn't need Reagan's name attached to it.  Calumet Expressway was fine; I don't even know who the hell Bishop Ford was.

I will agree that the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel should have been named in honor of the 9/11 victims instead of some guy named Carey I've never heard of.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Non-political: I don't like seeing historic names replaced by modern people for the sake of posterity. (Kentucky's parkways, for example.)
Political: Talking about whether Byrne was good or bad for NJ. It has no place here.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: getemngo on April 10, 2014, 05:00:57 PM
In related news, KFC is no longer the #1 chicken restaurant in sales in the United States. It's now Chick-Fil-A. Doesn't help that KFC has closed almost 20% of its stores in the last 10 years.

Though I guess the decline in the American auto industry hasn't forced Detroit or Flint to rename any of its freeways...

We didn't have Chick-a-Fil in Canada. But some locals KFC had closed their stores 2 years ago in my area. But we got a chicken restaurant chain called St-Hubert, who taken it's name where the very 1st St-Hubert restaurant who was located on St-Hubert street in Montreal.

As for a Colonel Sanders bridge, why not?

Slighty off-topic sidenote; I spotted this vintage French ad aired in Quebec in 1979 with the Colonel Sanders speaking briefly in French.

mrsman

As far as renamings go, I'm generally OK with naming un-named or very generically named highways for political figures, assuming that they have a legacy that merits the honor.  But I strongly prefer geographic names, as they help tell the public where the highway is supposed to go.

In all honesty, I think Col. Sanders is a personage who did a lot for Kentucky and should be honored with a bridge.  As far as I can tell, they are only adding a name to something that is currently unnamed.

As far as New York goes, the Triboro Bridge, Queensboro Bridge, and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel are much better and more precise names than the political replacements.  RFK, Mayor Ed Koch, and Gov. Hugh Carey may be worthwhile for a namesake, but not these bridges.  I have to do a double-take when I hear traffic reports.  Which bridge has the problem?

There are major roads already named for NY area politicos/celebrities in the city:  Hylan Blvd (Staten Island), Van Wyck Expy, FDR Drive, JFK Airport/Expressway, La Guardia Airport, Jackie Robinson Parkway.

There are also many honorifics that are "second name".  Look at Lenox Avenue / Malcolm X Avenue in Harlem.  It's OK to use either name.  You honor the individual while still utilizing a familiar name for old-timers.

Sonic99

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 17, 2014, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2014, 09:40:39 AM
The Chick Fil A Crossing (hey they got a sports bowl named for them).

I believe they changed it back to the Peach Bowl this year with the start of the playoff.

If KFC took over the name, they could call it the "KFC Famous Bowl".
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

ElPanaChevere

I mean, if they have the funds to do so, why not? I'm just thinking...they couldn't find anyone else besides him? Out of all people... :confused:

By the way, the Double Down Sandwich is just...putrid. If you want to have a heart attack, then I say "have at it"  :spin:
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.