News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-15 The Point Project - 12300 South in Draper to Utah 92 in Lehi

Started by andy3175, April 13, 2014, 11:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

http://www.draperjournal.com/story/2014/03/20/draper/udot-gets-to-the-point-project/109.html

QuoteThe Utah Legislature has allocated $252 million in funding for the widening of I-15 from 12300 South in Draper to SR-92 in Lehi. A request for proposals is out and a design/build contractor will be selected this June for the "Point project" that will widen that corridor of the interstate to six lanes in each direction.

Initial work will include relocation of a frontage road in 2014, followed by major construction in 2015 to expand the freeway.

QuoteThe goal of the project is to serve projected traffic for 2030. He clarified that it will be six general-purpose lanes northbound and southbound, each with one express lane, with the exception of the stretch of road from the Bangerter exit to the 12300 South exit northbound. That portion will remain five lanes because UDOT is limited by the width of the existing Bangerter and 12300 South bridges.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26508016

QuoteThat stretch of I-15 is the last big stretch of the interstate on the Wasatch Front that has not been rebuilt in the last 15 years. However, it's a section where traffic jams occur, and pavement buckles.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56867408-90/bridges-county-express-lake.html.csp

QuoteThe project at the Point of the Mountain – which has the official nickname of "The Point" – is a $247 million effort to rebuild seven miles of I-15 between Draper and Lehi during the next two years.

It will also widen I-15 to six lanes in each direction from 12300 South in Draper to the Timpanogos Highway (State Road 92) at Thanksgiving Point. Some areas in that stretch now have four lanes, and some have five.

UDOT has said that is the last major section of I-15 on the Wasatch Front that has not been reconstructed in recent years. It is about 50 years old, and at the end of its life span. Sections of pavement there often have buckled in recent years because of dirt and debris clogging temperature expansion joints.

The new projects come after UDOT last December completed a massive $1.7 billion project over three years to rebuild and expand most I-15 stretches in Utah County.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

This area around Thanksgiving Point was the one spot where I've run into traffic issues in my time here.  Maybe northbound approaching 215 as lots of people move over, but the area of this project was much worse.  Just loads of traffic coming on seems to be the biggest problem.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rover_0

Interstate 15 along the Wasatch Front...always a work in progress. ;)
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

JKRhodes

I've been from the Arizona state line as far north as 600 North in Salt Lake as of last month. While the construction zone mentioned was a little hairy to navigate, the finished sections of I-15 in American Fork, Orem and Provo were remarkably nice.

How's the HOT lane system working out? I never figured Utah would be one to go for a toll system, has it been well received? My wife and I drove the lanes for free, though the posted toll was never more than a dollar, and was suspended through the construction zone.

nexus73

6 lanes in each direction?  Wow!  So much has happened on and along I-15 since I lived in Utah County 20 years ago.  They are light years ahead of Oregon when it comes to making their freeways better.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

andy3175

Update ...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865642327/Fifth-lane-on-I-15-at-Point-of-the-Mountain-to-open-for-Thanksgiving-travel.html?pg=all

QuoteFollowing the (Thanksgiving) holiday weekend, I-15 near Point of the Mountain will again be reduced to four lanes in each direction during noncommute times to allow crews to continue construction activities in the middle of the freeway. Five lanes will be open during the morning and evening commutes through winter to keep traffic moving during the busiest times of the day. The area is still an active construction zone and speed limits are reduced to 55 mph.

Crews are widening I-15 to six lanes in each direction between state Route 92 and 12300 South. Beginning next spring, the majority of the I-15 freeway expansion work will shift between Bangerter Highway and 12300 South. In addition, work will continue as crews complete work on I-15 between Bangerter Highway and state Route 92. Completion is scheduled for fall 2016.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

My last time through there just after Thanksgiving, the only thing left to open was the HOV lanes.
Well technically, the second to last time through there.  The last time through there, I had to detour a full SB closure due to a wreck.

I've probably said this before, but I-15 is a monster though urban Utah.

jakeroot

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 10, 2015, 02:33:50 PM
I've probably said this before, but I-15 is a monster though urban Utah.

The Mormons know how to build a freeway! Big props...the 15 through SLC is impressive.

Rothman

I'm surprised they still call it the Point of the Mountain given the fact that the "point" has actually been dramatically blasted away. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: Rothman on December 15, 2015, 11:42:34 AM
I'm surprised they still call it the Point of the Mountain given the fact that the "point" has actually been dramatically blasted away. :D
Geneva Rock for the win, you know what I'm sayin?  :)
I-15 will always have projects like this...Davis, SL, and Utah Counties are growing like crazy.
I say I-80 from 1300 East to I-215/Foothill Drive is begging at least for repavement and at most for fixing that god-awful, accident-loving interchange going into Parleys (aka my daily drive into school).

triplemultiplex

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on December 21, 2015, 01:48:46 PM
and at most for fixing that god-awful, accident-loving interchange going into Parleys (aka my daily drive into school).

Yeah that EB exit is for all practical purposes a right turn.
That interchange is such an outlier in a metro area where almost all the freeways are sleek and modern.
I'm also puzzled by the undivided connection between I-215 and I-80 east.  Seems like some sort of barrier would have been squeezed in there by now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.