News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Germany-Austria-Switzerland autobahn?

Started by agentsteel53, June 17, 2014, 02:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I was reading some article elsewhere and one of the comments was as follows:

QuoteAustrians have been ticketing Germans on that 800m stretch of Autobahn between Germany and Switzerland which is technically in Austria for not having a valid Vignette for years now.

I tried to find this, but could not.  it looks like the Germany-Austria-Switzerland triple point would be in the middle of the Bodensee - and I found no direct autobahn that traverses the three countries for such a short distance.

any help? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 17, 2014, 02:02:18 PMI tried to find this, but could not.  it looks like the Germany-Austria-Switzerland triple point would be in the middle of the Bodensee - and I found no direct autobahn that traverses the three countries for such a short distance.

I think the article is talking only about the part of the itinerary under discussion (essentially St. Gallen-Bregenz-Wangen) that is a motorway, i.e. the A14 Bregenz bypass.  Google Maps doesn't show any enclaves, exclaves, or other boundary irregularities in this area, and I would consider it reliable on this point since it does show others like Büsingen or Baarle-Hertog.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

so what you are saying is, people would take the A14 from Germany, hope to get off at the first Bregenz exit, and get caught by the police?

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Essentially, yes.  I think you get free travel on Austrian Autobahnen until you pass the first opportunity to purchase a vignette (many former border crossings have been converted into sales points for vignettes, IIRC--this happened to the A4 crossing near Nickelsdorf after Hungary joined Schengen in 2007), and then you become fair game.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

english si

The E43 runs from the German border to Exit 9 (Austria using km-based exit numbers, with the A14's zero point being that German border), before heading along the Bregenz Stadttunnel to the Bodensee coast and then heading on local roads to the Swiss border. I imagine that the (far more useful for the Germanic navigator) destination signage would run that route too.

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 17, 2014, 04:37:03 PM(many former border crossings have been converted into sales points for vignettes, IIRC--this happened to the A4 crossing near Nickelsdorf after Hungary joined Schengen in 2007)

correct.  the A9 out of Slovenia has the purchase opportunity right there at the border.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Austria requires a valid vignette right from the border on Autobahns. There are no exceptions anymore. It used to be allowed to drive on A12 to Kufstein-Süd without a vignette (many valleys are accessible through that exit), but they canceled that exception a while ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.