News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Welcome to the Traffic Capital of the World

Started by cpzilliacus, July 03, 2014, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

TNR.com: Welcome to the Traffic Capital of the World - What I learned from the crippling gridlock in Dhaka, Bangladesh

QuoteI am in a tiny steel cage attached to a motorcycle, stuttering through traffic in Dhaka, Bangladesh. In the last ten minutes, we have moved forward maybe three feet, inch by inch, the driver wrenching the wheel left and right, wriggling deeper into the wedge between a delivery truck and a rickshaw in front of us.

QuoteUp ahead, the traffic is jammed so close together that pedestrians are climbing over pickup trucks and through empty rickshaws to cross the street. Two rows to my left is an ambulance, blue light spinning uselessly. The driver is in the road, smoking a cigarette, standing on his tiptoes, looking ahead for where the traffic clears. Every once in awhile he reaches into the open door to honk his horn.

QuoteThis is what the streets here look like from seven o'clock in the morning until ten o'clock at night. If you're rich, you experience it from the back seat of a car, the percussion muffled behind glass. If you're poor, you're in a rickshaw, breathing in the exhaust.

QuoteMe, I'm sitting in the back of a CNG, a three-wheeled motorcycle shaped like a slice of pie and covered with scrap metal. I'm here working on a human rights project related (inevitably) to the garment factories, but whenever I ask people in Dhaka what their main priority is, what they think international organizations should really be working on, they tell me about the traffic.

QuoteIt might not be as sexy as building schools or curing malaria, but alleviating traffic congestion is one of the defining development challenges of our time. Half the world's population already lives in cities, and the United Nations estimates that proportion will rise to nearly 70 percent by 2050.

QuoteOf the 23 "megacities"  identified by the United Nations, only five are in high-income countries, places with the infrastructure (physical, political, economic, you name it) to deal with the increasing queues of cars snarling up the roads. Mexico City adds two cars to its roads for every person it adds to its population. In India, the ratio is three to one.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

"But that, politically speaking, is about as plausible as suggesting that everyone fly to work on the back of a giant eagle."

Why write a whole article when that one sentence solves the problem?

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2014, 08:55:33 PM
"But that, politically speaking, is about as plausible as suggesting that everyone fly to work on the back of a giant eagle."

That sounds awesome!  I want a giant eagle to commute on!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tdindy88

But then we wouldn't be able to talk about fictional highways, highway signs or sign fonts if everyone rode on giant eagles.

oscar

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 04, 2014, 07:03:10 PM
But then we wouldn't be able to talk about fictional highways, highway signs or sign fonts if everyone rode on giant eagles.

We could instead complain about, and perhaps (over-)analyze, eagle poop.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.