News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2014 Merritt Parkway meet - October 18th

Started by Duke87, July 08, 2014, 12:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What date(s) would you attend?

October 4
5 (41.7%)
October 11
8 (66.7%)
October 18
7 (58.3%)
October 25
7 (58.3%)
November 1
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 06, 2014, 12:53:17 AM

codyg1985

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 11, 2014, 10:09:25 PM
I'd be interested in attending this, having missed the NYC meet (and never having attended any meet). As of now, I can do any of the five weekends, but I'd probably need to know ASAP which one it's going to be.

Same here in needing to know ASAP. If I come to this meet, I will be flying this time so I won't have to take a lot of time off work.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Duke87

Alright, I set the poll to run through the beginning of September, but seeing as we have some potential attendees who need to know more urgently, I am going to decide the date based on results at the end of this week.

Currently it looks like it will be either 10/11 or 11/1 based on voting.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Looks like the 25th is now in the lead.  Yeah, that's the same date as Cody's Alabama meet, but IMO the two are far enough away geographically to where the potential conflict is minimal.  Plus, climatologically, it's the best potential date for peak fall colors (that or the 18th).

Duke87

Alright, so the last four dates have about the same support.

Therefore, for maximum foliage experience, and to avoid conflicting with the Alabama meet, the date will be October 18th.

I will create an event page and follow up here afterward.

SSOWorld

Opening as a maybe.  No vacation days and already exhausted my funds via NYC and some additional purchases.  Plus if I do attend a meet during October, Cody's Alabama meet is competing and there are more midwesterners that could possibly pool if offered.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 19, 2014, 10:40:59 AM
Opening as a maybe.  No vacation days and already exhausted my funds via NYC and some additional purchases.  Plus if I do attend a meet during October, Cody's Alabama meet is competing and there are more midwesterners that could possibly pool if offered to his meet.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Laura

I figured you'd pick this date - it's the best one. We won't be able to attend - that's my Homecoming and 5th year reunion weekend in Lynchburg, Virginia.

iPhone

roadman

Will not be able to attend the 18th, as that's our model railroad club's annual dealer show and open house.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Count me as a Maybe for now.  I'll give you a more definite answer sometime in September.

I won't be able to attend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

If you all have time, be sure to check out the CT-25 expressway signage before it's replaced next year and the non-reflective BGS on nearby I-287. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Janko Dialnice

I had wanted to attend, but now, this road meet is an impossibility. A medical appointment which was rescheduled twice now falls late in the morning on the Friday before, and I have previous commitments the next day (Sunday). Making a day trip might be an option, but I don't think I can handle that much driving at one time, anymore. I hope that you have a good time.

hbelkins

I'm still not sure as to circumstances that would allow me to attend this (and again, I'd have to choose between this and Alabama) but it's been suggested/recommended to me that I attend a conference in Louisville on Thursday the 16th. If I go, that would probably effectively eliminate my presence at this meet.

Which is a shame, because I do want to drive the Merritt Parkway and this might give me a chance to visit Suffolk and Nassau counties, NY, which are the last two counties I need to complete New York.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Mentioned on the Facebook page, but I'm no longer able to attend.

Duke87

hbelkins

Registered today for that digital media conference in Louisville on the 16th. That pretty much makes this officially a no-go for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

I've been directed by work to go to Memphis for the week so I'm definitely out of this one.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

jpi

Scott- Memphis??? You would be 3 hours from me! If you have any down time, check out the I-269 construction, or for that matter if you are around Memphis on 10/24-25, Cody's Guntersville road meet on the 25th is around 4 hours away ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

Quote from: jpi on October 06, 2014, 09:17:22 PM
Scott- Memphis??? You would be 3 hours from me! If you have any down time, check out the I-269 construction, or for that matter if you are around Memphis on 10/24-25, Cody's Guntersville road meet on the 25th is around 4 hours away ;-)

There is also a big interchange rebuild at I-40/240 on the east side of Memphis that is worth checking out.

And yeah, my meet isn't too far away if you can squeeze that in. :)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SSOWorld

Sorry - can't squeeze in on work's dollar - and as soon as I get back, I keep going NW to Rochester, MN (flying in/out of O'Hare)  I'll try to *find* the I-269 construction as I have some time Sunday after flying in.  Otherwise I expect to be super busy (likely to have quite a bit of overtime under my belt when done and reach 60 hours+ and working weekends would not be out of the question either)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

oscar

Confirming that I'll be there.  I just returned to the U.S. via Detroit (did some highway and county clinching along the way), making what hopefully will be my last toll contribution to Matty Moro(u)n's coffers before the new river crossing is completed. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

I made the reservation yesterday. We're clear for 11 AM on Saturday at the Parkway Diner.

I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again: the diner doesn't have a big parking lot. If not spaces are available, park in the lot for Burger King next door. No one will bother you. Everyone's car is getting moved to a park and ride after lunch anyway.

Roadgeek Adam

Great meet, minus the group photo location and the walk it required. The photo is taken at Boothe Memorial Park in Stratford, CT at the former Merritt Parkway toll booth, in use until 1988.

From left to right: Adam Moss (me - NJ), Daniel Greenstein (MD), Mike Tantillo (VA), Robert Malme (MA), Valerie Deane (NY), Daniel Case & his son (NY), Doug Kerr (NY), David Golub (NY), Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Connor Lauzon (MA), Oscar Voss (VA).
On the ground: Anthony Costanzo (NY/CT)
Not pictured but at meet: Anthony's girlfriend.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

oscar

Here are the two usable meet photos I took.  The first came out better.  Some light-colored shirts got washed out in the second, but it includes Anthony's girlfriend, who got him to stop lying down on the job.  Take your pick.  Use Adam's post for the captions.  BTW, Mike is from DC, not VA.

I limped back home yesterday night, after goofing off on Long Island's parkways (clinched all the major ones I hadn't already covered). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dgolub

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.