News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More road meets we need

Started by roadman65, August 28, 2014, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

One thing for sure is that we have a great community here despite the flame wars and flare ups at times.  In fact  I met some of the people on this here forum in person and those who I have spoken with said even that those that we see on here as morons and trolls at times, are totally different people in person.  I have been told that some of the people that we have here who make this forum anal at times, are real nice in person and so cool to hang with even when in text they could be so crude.

It is obvious to the reason why as we are the same to each other on the road.  We yell at, we finger (at times), and we either honk or flash our headlights at many who cut us off or drive to slow in front of us, yet if we saw them on the street I am sure the tension would not be there and we might hit it off as face to face humans.

I think that we should all try to organize more regional road meets for all of us to meet.  After all we pretty much have this whole nation (as well as part of Canada) represented here on this forum.  Even to get together with a party of three even with some is a good thing as we all have a lot to share to the community.  We all have one thing in common here and we all care about the roads.  We all are fascinated by them, and we all like to chat about the many different things going on in the community. 

So why not make more face to face meetings come about?  Why not meet some place and share old photos, road maps, brochures, letters, and other cool stuff as well as sit down and just chat without the pressure of this forum or having to carefully choose what words to write and such.  Many of us live not too far from each other and also many of us do travel to other regions of the country for recreation, family visits, and such.  Some of us could even get together while doing that!

Something to think about as, like I said, we have a good community altogether here on aaroads.  We may argue, we may disagree, we definitely have our different political views that often clash, but we have one thing for sure and that is an admiration for the roads.  Why not concentrate on that?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

This would be a great post for the road meet thread and you might want to post it there (or the mods move it) or propose a meet on that board.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2014, 12:24:11 PM
This would be a great post for the road meet thread and you might want to post it there (or the mods move it) or propose a meet on that board.
I reposted it as an error message appeared saying I was not allowed to move that its been already moved.

I merely am making a suggestion to suggest a road meet.  I am not proposing any specific meet as if I did the proposed area and time would have been posted on that thread.  Yeah true its iffy as one could take it that way and if the mods want to move it over its fine with me.  After all the post more so has to do with suggesting for us to meet more to relieve the tension we build here than to actually have a specific meet, so I was not trying to be a troll here when I posted it if it is what you think.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I didn't think you were trolling at all. Just wasn't sure if this board was the correct place to post your comment.

As an aside, I see a lot of impromptu meets organized on Facebook. Someone will say, "I'm going to be in/passing through Anytown next Friday, anyone want to get together?" and before you know it, three or four people are having lunch or going to a ballgame or something.

agentsteel53

if anyone in SoCal wants to know where the old signs are, I'm always happy to drag someone around kicking and screaming.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

adventurernumber1

When getting on flame-war-type topics I can really seem like a jerk (though I try to be as nice as possible), but in real life, I am really a very nice person. I used to have a really bad temper, but especially in the past year, I have become such a nice person. I think Jesus has really come into my heart. I've prevented a lot of people from committing suicide, I stop and/or try to calm down online arguments all the time, I do kind things for people all the time like holding doors or wishing someone a good morning. Sometimes I even give money to people (at school there are a lot of kids that ask me for money LOL, but hey, it's a nice thing to do). In short, IMHO I guess I can say I am a really nice person.

Also, being 14, I can't really go to any road meets right now obviously, but when I get older it sounds like an awesome thing to do! Even as early as age 16 or 17 when I have my license and if I have time (perhaps on a break or during summer), I would be delighted to go to a road meet, meet some of y'all, check out some roads, and all the other things mentioned. I cannot wait  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadrunner75

I would be up for mini-meets or part of another regional one in my area (couldn't make the recent NY/NJ one due to other commitments).  Distant traveling for one, or entire weekends probably won't work due to work/family, which I'm sure is probably typical for many people on here.

Alps

I'm just as much of an asshole in person as I am online. I make sure of it. And we already have so many road meets. We don't need more roadmeets. We just need fewer idiots causing flame wars.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2014, 11:16:53 PM
We don't need more roadmeets.

You're right, we need meets that aren't exactly road meets (say, the NJ Map Drawing Meet) that I can somehow attend because my lack of a vehicle is literally killing me as of late!!  ;-)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on August 28, 2014, 11:25:23 PMmy lack of a vehicle is literally killing me
i am literally dying with laughter at reading this

froggie

Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2014, 12:12:16 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on August 28, 2014, 11:25:23 PMmy lack of a vehicle is literally killing me

After all, they do say that being a pedestrian kills.

But if he's a transit user, he should be outliving us all...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Zeffy on August 28, 2014, 11:25:23 PMmy lack of a vehicle is literally killing me as of late!!  ;-)

you should consider purchasing an automobile for personal use.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

I know right? The only enjoyment I seem to get is when I go out to exercise near my apartment complex...

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2014, 09:20:49 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on August 28, 2014, 11:25:23 PMmy lack of a vehicle is literally killing me as of late!!  ;-)

you should consider purchasing an automobile for personal use.

Well, for some reason, in NJ, a pre-owned car with OVER 200k mileage on it costs... about $2000. And then the insurance and gas just compounds the cost. I'm unemployed, because it seems like every job I apply to wants job experience. I've had ONE job in the past and it lasted for 3-4 months. This town blows.

Quote from: froggie on August 29, 2014, 07:46:31 AM

After all, they do say that being a pedestrian kills.

But if he's a transit user, he should be outliving us all...

Only in Florida, it seems, and mass transit is devoid from Hillsborough. The closest train stations are New Brunswick and Somerville, and I haven't seen a bus go through Hillsborough unless it's a senior citizen bus or a school bus.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

More mini-meets would be fun, especially if I was in range of them.  The amount of full-size meets is about right (this year's clustering at the beginning of the year is unusual); attendance at those will obviously be limited by people's budgets and vacation time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

algorerhythms

Please express my condolences to your family.

Alps

Quote from: algorerhythms on August 29, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Please express my condolences to your family.
They are literally impossible to talk to.

bandit957

I wish we could find a way to telecommute to roadmeets.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Laura

Since you mentioned it, roadman...you could always host an Orlando/Disney World National Meet...

Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2014, 02:56:15 PM
As an aside, I see a lot of impromptu meets organized on Facebook. Someone will say, "I'm going to be in/passing through Anytown next Friday, anyone want to get together?" and before you know it, three or four people are having lunch or going to a ballgame or something.

This. Always feel free to contact me and Mike if you come to or through Baltimore.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on September 03, 2014, 02:47:47 AM

With so many people having tablets and smartphones these days, I'm surprised someone hasn't Skype'd a meet.

Brandon

Why?  Isn't the whole point of a roadmeet to go and see these things for yourself?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on September 03, 2014, 04:59:45 PM

Why?  Isn't the whole point of a roadmeet to go and see these things for yourself?

A lot of us are sidelined by poor health.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

formulanone

He might be hurling himself down roads at 30-40 miles an hour, don't poke fun at his lack of armor.

Brandon

"More road meets we need."

Like Yoda, this thread title sounds.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on September 04, 2014, 12:24:12 PM
"More road meets we need."

Like Yoda, this thread title sounds.

That's funny, at first glance I read it as:

"More road meets than we need."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.