News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Interstate 5 Shields in Portland Area?

Started by JasonOfORoads, October 17, 2014, 04:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonOfORoads

Does anybody know of any existing old and/or unique Interstate 5 shields in the Portland area? I'm looking to snap a tight photo of one in order to add an Oregonian touch to a photography project of mine. Not to sound too picky, but I'd prefer the shield to be official signage (read: not a commercial sign). Also, Tigard's "uni-signs" don't count.

So far, my top candidate is a shield on a button copy BGS at Capitol Highway and Barbur Blvd. I'm also thinking there's a couple of light-up Interstate 5 shields still in existence along SW Harbor Dr. just before it transitions into an I-5 onramp, and maybe up near PSU. Finally, maybe there's some good ones along N Greeley Ave. just before it splits into ramps for I-5 south and Interstate Ave. south. I'm guessing any hidden gems might be on the east side of the river.

I would absolutely kill for a shield with the state name inside  :-P
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

luokou

As far as I know, every state-named I-5 shield in Portland has been replaced.  This was the last one that I remember, right next to PSU.

Incidentally, there's an old I-405 shield at the intersection of Market & Broadway right up the street from it that is probably around the same vintage, just without the state name.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: luokou on October 17, 2014, 03:22:27 PM
As far as I know, every state-named I-5 shield in Portland has been replaced.  This was the last one that I remember, right next to PSU.

Incidentally, there's an old I-405 shield at the intersection of Market & Broadway right up the street from it that is probably around the same vintage, just without the state name.

That's a shame -- it would've been really cool to photograph.

I'm not above travelling to Salem or thereabouts, either, if there's a cool one out there.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

NE2

There I was, all set to be a smartass and post a Washington I-5 shield (you didn't say it had to be Oregon), but I couldn't find any near Portland with a quick look on the Goog.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

In my US 99 corridor travels, including a tour of various Portland road sights, I did not uncover any state-name shields for I-5, 205, 405, or 84.

Bickendan

I don't believe there are any state-name shields left in the wild in Oregon now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.